want to make films where to start.

HI,
im new to all of this film making stuff but i want to start making films. i was wandering where i should start. Like what software i should buy to edit... and stuff like that. also any tips . thanks

where to start

Andrew,

Good question. Starting does not begin with editing, but ends with editing. Before you edit (post production) you have to shoot your story on film or video (production), and before you shoot, you have to have a script.

Writing is the first aspect of filmmaking. If you are not a writer, find a writer to collaborate with in order to set up a shoot. Once the story has been developed and a production budget determined, you'll need to cast the parts to good actors (or if you are a rookie, why not cast your classmates to do a short film just for fun?)

After the script is now on video (or film) you can begin your edit, but wait until you "get something in the can" (as we say).

Good story first. That's the way to begin.

WC

Well, while I'm still "starting," I'll tell you how I started starting, and what I would do now, had I just started. The first thing I did was buy one of the hundreds of filmmaking books I found on Amazon. I went through that one, searched for more--

Actually, the first thing I did was research the camera I was planning on purchasing. I googled its model number so many times, I knew Google's updating schedule. So I searched, read, searched, read. Most of what I found were comparisons of my camera vs. the more expensive camera. So I researched the more expensive one as much as the other, until I knew everything about every camera an independent filmmaker might consider. Just doing this taught me a lot about filmmaking, gradually.

Then, I hit the forums, like dvinfo.net, dvxuser.com, studentfilmmakers.com. Really, anything remotely centered around filmmaking worked, just so I could hear other's experiences, and learn on their backs.

Then, I hit the books on Amazon.com from a recommendation on one of the aforementioned forums. Obviously, the internet's helpful, but let's not forget how useful a book can be. I picked up $30 Film School first, then Dov's "From Reel to Deal." At this point, I didn't know what my plan was. I knew I liked writing, but couldn't see myself as a director. So I went the other way for a while, picking up all the screenwriting books and magazines I could find. In doing this, I realized how much I wanted to direct a script of my own. So, back to the general filmmaking books.

Then I found a website online for the film school I would eventually go to. It looked good, it looked easy, and, best of all, it was cheap. It was a one year program, with very little theory-based learning, and a lot of hands-on. The hands-on was good for understanding how to use a film camera, because before then, I never knew how huge the feature of autofocusing was.

Anyway, as to where you should start, you should start where you need to. Which is anywhere, as long as it's progressing towards you goal of filmmaking. If you want to direct, read a book, stick around this forum and others. Maybe find a school in your area. Or, you could create your own path, and make the next Blair Witch from what you've got. Better yet, combine the two. Spend half your time learning through the internet and books, then the other half, take a camera and shoot something more than a home-video. Stage something small with a niece or nephew who loves being in front of the camera. (I've made more 10 Year Old Secret Agent / Late for School / I Missed the Bus stories than anything else)

What I did, which I now realize I couldn't have gone without doing any different, is immerse myself in filmmaking. I was and still am glued to filmmaking websites when I'm on the computer. When I'm not, my face is in the books. Then I'll write a small script I can shoot, or simply just create the script as I shoot, and continue learning from there. I've been doing these for so long, I don't know how my head could've ever been anywhere else.

As for what software to buy, I first suggest taking advantage of free trials.

For screenwriting, see Final Draft - www.finaldraft.com.

For editing, the first question is, PC or Mac? I've only edited with Avid on a PC, which is the top dog, so I'm not sure what would be reasonable to start with. If you're on a Mac, iMovie is great.

Just a small point, is that your first question shouldn't be what you should buy. Keep it simple and cheap where possible. The internet's free. Soak it dry.

Welcome...

WriteumCowboy said:
Andrew,

Good question. Starting does not begin with editing, but ends with editing. Before you edit (post production) you have to shoot your story on film or video (production), and before you shoot, you have to have a script.

Writing is the first aspect of filmmaking. If you are not a writer, find a writer to collaborate with in order to set up a shoot. Once the story has been developed and a production budget determined, you'll need to cast the parts to good actors (or if you are a rookie, why not cast your classmates to do a short film just for fun?)

After the script is now on video (or film) you can begin your edit, but wait until you "get something in the can" (as we say).

Good story first. That's the way to begin.

WC

WC,

Nice to see you over here...

filmy

Filmy,

Good to see you. You were one of my fav's on Idiec... what was their name? I forget. :huh:

Thanks. Good to be with some good folks.

WC

Andrew,

Way to go, Dude. Start, but don't be dismayed with any results. Any writing has a sense of innovation, but will need to be re-written over and over again.

To quote William Goldman (the best in the biz) "first drafts are crap" and "writing is re-writing", so look forward to the re-writing as much as the first draft.

Best of luck.

WC

'sup, good Writeum
smiley_cowboy.gif

where i should start. Like what software i should buy to edit... and stuff like that.

I'd suggest starting with whatever basic movie editing software came with your computer. Windows Movie Maker for PCs, or iMovie for Macs.

Sure, they don't have all the bells and whistles that more expensive software have... but it's a great way to start out without spending money up front. You may even decide that you hate editing, and that you're better off having a friend do it!

The basic editing software will have everything you need in it, to get your feet wet... from importing video, to editing and rearranging clips, to making titles/credits, to laying in a music soundtrack, to exporting to DV-tape or DVD even.

Think about getting better software after you've tried your hand at everything else involved first.

_______

...and what all else is involved?

Well, there's writing the story. Probably one of the most important parts of any film is a good story. If you have a crappy script, no amount of amazing actors or expensive cameras will save the day. (You'll just have a well-performed, visually attractive crappy film.) You shouldn't expect to start writing dazzling scripts straight out of the gate, though... but the more you do it, the better you get at it.

There's probably too many things involved to list, now that I think about it. But since you're starting out fresh, you'll likely be trying them all... virtually everyone starts by wearing all the hats, when working with no/little money and trying to do it all.

It's actually not a bad thing... you'll get to experience it all, and decide what parts of filmmaking you like, and which parts you don't. That's great knowledge right there, for when you start making local friends who are also filmmakers, you can divvy up tasks a lot more easily.

(The real revelation, btw, is when you can honestly say what parts you are actually good at... and where you suck. For example... I can't aim or focus a camera to save my life, much as I'd like to think I can. There's a reason why I try to have others run the camera when I am around. I'm just being honest with myself.) :lol:

_______

Try and find a local group or club of filmmakers in your town. I'd bet Poke's paycheck that you have at least one. Make some friends there. Offer to help out on some of their projects; you'll learn a lot. (You may even learn what not to do!) When you start making your own films, see if they can help you.

You can never have enough friends, doing this... especially when trying to do it with nothing.

_______

I probably rambled more than I should have there... hope some of that was helpful, anyway. :cool:

Back