Video File Output Question

Hey, i got a Q about producing an output video. I was never taught how to edit and stuff so i have no idea, but after a lot of practicing with Ulead VideoStudio 9 i got the hang of it. Anyways ive tried otehr programs like that, but i feel this one is the best one for my abilities now, what im asking is what should my final video be? All the vids ive outputted have been irregularly large in size. A 12 min short ive made is about 700megs in mpeg format. A 40 min episode i made in avi format is 830megs with an xvid compression. All the vids ive made are large in size, and all have been made with Ulead lead. So whats up! lol what setting do i gotta set the avi's to?! i just dont kno. the Xvid Compression i did was in ulead too i just chose the compression and there were a lot of settings and i just left everything as default. the mpegs i dont mind cuz i kept the settings like the original raw clips so the quality is the same, those are for dvd but if u know anything plz tell me. anyways the followings are the settings i tried for the vids ive made:

12 min Short in WMV format:

File Size: 235meg
Image Size: 320 x 240
Pixel Depth: 32
Frame Rate: 30.00
Audio: 44100 Hz - 16 Bit - Stereo
Average Data Rate - 293.01 KB / Second
Pixel Aspect Ratio: 1.000

------------------------------------------------------------

40min Episode in AVi Format:
File Size: 797megs
Image Size: 640 x 480
Pixel Depth: 24
Frame Rate: 30.00
Audio: 48000 Hz - 16 Bit - Stereo
Average Data Rate - 357.60 KB / Second
Pixel Aspect Ratio: 1.000

AVI File Detals
Contains 1 Video Track and 1 Audio Track
Interleave 1 : 15.00

Video Track 1:
Size is 377.26M bytes (average frame = 11.88K bytes)
There are 703 keyframes, 67849 deltaframes
Frame rate is 30.00fps
Frame Size is 648 x 480
Depths is 24 bits
Compressor: 'Xvid', Xvid Mpeg-4 Codec

Audio Track 1:
Size is 418.41M bytes
Rate is 48000 smaples/sec, stereo
Sample size is 16 bits

------------------------------------------------------

My Raw Clip specs
Image Size: 720 x 480
Pixel Depth: 0
Frame Rate: 29.97
Audio: 48000 Hz - 16 Bit - Stereo
Average Data Rate - 527.47 KB / Second
Pixel Aspect Ratio: 0.900

--------------------------------------------------------

I only understand about half of that, i copied that from Adobe Premier Pro, the specs. Anyways if u can tell me what im doing wrong that'd be great. Should I compress my avi after the output or right in Ulead? What should the specs be, with eitehr WMV or AVI, i want those files to be downloadable, so small file size, good quality picture, and big Frame size if thats possible. i dont want my vid to e the size of a thumbnail. I think thats all i ahve to say, THANKS SO MUCH FOR WHOEVER HELPS! :)

-Mikke

'sup, good Mikke. :cool:

You can get the free Windows Media Encoder here.

Since you appear to have Adobe Premiere Pro, you should also get familiar with the Adobe Media Encoder which is included. It has many presets for WMP & QT suitable for web-viewing.

File >> Export >> Adobe Media Encoder.

_______

In general, here's some settings that work well.

Halve the dimensions of the original.

Video CoDec - Sorenson 3
Audio CoDec - mp4

Set a Keyframe for every 15 frames.

Most importantly, hit the "Limit Data Rate" option. This will take a bit of trial and error to find an acceptable output quality... but it's an okay tradeoff for getting a reasonably small file suitable for the web. Try between 150, down to about 80.

Depending on how hard you cap the data rate, your final filesize can end up from 1mb per minute to 5mb per minute... between 3mb to 5mb is usually a very decent picture.

_______

Hope that helps :)

Back