• Wondering which camera, gear, computer, or software to buy? Ask in our Gear Guide.

vhs quality effect

Ys, first time shooting a short shaky-cam scene with mini dvd, don't remember but 1080I I think,camcorder (for home video effect), however, the final effect that I'm seeking is to have the video vhs like quality similar to home videos from early 90..

I'm trying to save a buck and not getting a vhs camcorder. The process I'm thinking to do is to shoot a scene on mini dvd, transfer on pc, edit it, RECORD it onto vhs, and from vhs convert back to laptop or dvd or whatever final media is, to have that vhs-quality low resolution business..

Would that work, or would it look like crap?

Hm ill just experiment between different vhs cassettes.. I'm sure that s-vhs will look much better on bigger screen/ projector than regular good ol' vhs, but still have that grainy quality to it.

Hm ill just experiment between different vhs cassettes.. I'm sure that s-vhs will look much better on bigger screen/ projector than regular good ol' vhs, but still have that grainy quality to it.

SVHS has significantly higher resolution, so it will look less grainy.

Honestly, before you even start playing with tapes, I would mess around with it in your editing software. Seems very likely to me that you can do what you want with a few clicks on your keyboard.

Honestly, before you even start playing with tapes, I would mess around with it in your editing software. Seems very likely to me that you can do what you want with a few clicks on your keyboard.

i agree. you lose a lot of resolution by simply transfering the whole film to tape and back,
so you might want to find a way to get that look digitally, without ending up with 350x480 pixels.

Last edited:
Wheatgrinder, thanks for the link, I ll check it out!.

The overral low quality was a concern to me, since i remember how crappy did those vhs tapes looked like on bigger than standart (1990s) 30 inch screens.. oh well, time for ghetto rigging!

my friend and i considered the vhs trick, recording the final cut onto vhs then sending back to the computer. i think it would work, and it would look more authentic than some cheesy vhs filter in post. imo

my friend and i considered the vhs trick, recording the final cut onto vhs then sending back to the computer. i think it would work, and it would look more authentic than some cheesy vhs filter in post. imo

My main concern is would the short movie be watchable on big screen (30 ft screen), or would it be too much of the low quality with massive blur spots instead of faces..

Even if I shoot it on MiniDVD DZGX5080A Hitachi video camcorder and apply VHS effects DIGITALLY, is it high enough resolution for a bigger movie theater screen? :huh:

I just can't imagine finish shooting a scene, edit, do all the work with it, just to find out that its completely worthless for anything bigger than standart home TV...

Back