Using an actual film camera to make a short

I would love for my first short to be in film. Maybe even using an older super 8 camera..for you who have experience and have stories about how to go about this please reply..any tips? Also I do not have much of a budget

Get an old manual SLR - pentax K1000 is the classic starter - and shoot a few rolls of stills on film first to learn how to work a light meter and expose properly with manual controls. It's far better to get back a roll of pictures with a few bad ones than to get back a whole roll of 8mm film that's exposed incorrectly!

Good Call!

Get an old manual SLR - pentax K1000 is the classic starter - and shoot a few rolls of stills on film first to learn how to work a light meter and expose properly with manual controls. It's far better to get back a roll of pictures with a few bad ones than to get back a whole roll of 8mm film that's exposed incorrectly!

My old super 8 came with decent lightmeter so I could meter in auto and than fix the exposure in manual mode. Metering with an external lightmeter for super 8 is quite tricky as you have to adjust for light loss in lens,filter,shutter angle and various ASA problems depending on camera. So it is better to test your first roll anyways.

I still don't understand how you edit with film rolls. I recently watched "American Movie" and it was filled of clips of dude editing film rolls.-Mind=Blown, how the hell do you do that? I just don't get it. But eventulay will have the time to research it. till then it is a mystery to me. I wish you luck buddy.

Film goes from left to right in one of these (the reel arms are folded back for storage), cut at the frame you want with a razor blade (usually in the editor, surrounded by alignment pins for holding the film together at the "cut" you're about to make), cut the second piece you want to cut to, line them up at the splice point in the center of the editor, then put your tape over it.

The editor on the left is my super 8mm and the right is my standard 8mm camera middle and 8mm projector just off camera right.

photo.jpg
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vCLKGYhdSrQ
So basically, you're just cutting and taping (with actual tape) the next shot to the tail of the previous shot.

Back