• Wondering which camera, gear, computer, or software to buy? Ask in our Gear Guide.

Use Your Tripod as a Steadicam/Stabilizer!!

You had some good moves and some were jerky. Mostly good moves. Thank you for sharing. I have seen some directors using wheelchairs and monopods for dolly shots and stabilizers. Cheap tools can work, you need to master them and make them work as well as the pro stuff.

How do you handle the focus if you're following someone for instance ?

Nice work there. I'm curious, what tripod is that ?

The old fashioned way is to tie a string to the actor and the camera operator. Set focus for that distance and don't let the string go slack. It'd probably be a good idea to still keep a wide DOF.

Me too, will be useful. What would you consider as acceptable aperture on say a canon 50mm ? I feel like i've always read bad reviews about closing too much (and opening too much).

Seriously though Justin, what tripod is that ? Looking to buy one after I realized how important it was.

Me too, will be useful. What would you consider as acceptable aperture on say a canon 50mm ? I feel like i've always read bad reviews about closing too much (and opening too much).

Seriously though Justin, what tripod is that ? Looking to buy one after I realized how important it was.

For the aperture, it just depends on what look you're looking for. If you want everything in focus, close your aperture (just make sure you have enough light), if you want that shallow DOF, open it up. There's really no right or wrong answer. EXPERIMENT.

The tripod is a Sony VCT-60AV. I wouldn't recommend you buying it UNLESS you have a compatible Sony videocamera because it does have a remote in the handle and if you can't use it, why bother pay for that feature? But yeah, any tripod would do. Just depends on your budget

Hope this helps!

Back