Use of CAD in film making?

Hi there,
people call me norml. I´m a Germany based CAD freelancer, and I am working mostly on steel and wood structures, and have been doing this for over six years, so there is quite some experience. Since I am always searching for new things to do, I wonder if there is any use for my skills in the movie making business? Like constructing sets, for example. I would appreciate any hint since I just love the idea of contributing to a movie, and if it only was up to a small part. Since I saw all the making-of from LOTR this question has been going around in my head ever, but I couldnt google anything up. So if you have any idea about that, please let me know :cool:

see you
norml

'sup :cool:

How big is the jump from CAD to 3d modeling & VFX?

The jump in handling the software wouldn´t be that big for me, since I have done so before. What I would lack though is experience in modeling and animation. Considering there must be thousands of freelancers craving for movie jobs, I wouldn´t give myself much of a chance. I´m not even sure if I would be much of an animator at all :rolleyes: But still, I would like to be part of some cool movie, and all I could reasonably offer would be CAD construction :cool:

edit: Since you live in LA, you might have seen some of my work, since I´ve been working on many roller coaster structures, prototypes of which are all about Magic Mountain / and the rest of the world

Last edited:
Magic Mountain

Awesome!
smiley_haw.gif

I haven't been there in years, but MM has the best coasters out of all the local theme parks.

there must be thousands of freelancers craving for movie jobs, I wouldn´t give myself much of a chance.

It's hard to climb a ladder when you're satisfied to stay at the bottom rung. Just sayin'.

There are definitely gigs out there, if you're willing to fight for them.

I have absolutely no experience, but hey, this is the newbies forum, so Ill chime in !

Seems to me that the key is exporting your CAD drawings into common 3d models (3dMax etc) With that, I think there WOULD be a market for architecturally accurate 3d models of buildings and what not for use in CGI \ VFX.

Additionally, maybe documentaries where they "recreate" old buildings or similar could use your skill set.

With that in mind, find someone who produces SciFi - green screen stuff, or historical documentaries etc.

It's hard to climb a ladder when you're satisfied to stay at the bottom rung. Just sayin'.

If you are satisfied with the bottom rung, you just don´t worry about the hardness of climbing a latter ;) But I think I know what you´re saying. Judging by your profile, you must have some experience in fighting. Sometimes I have to "fight" for a job, too, but to me it is more about meeting the right people in the right time. The most valuable customers I have are those whom I expected least to ever get a chance from. Like the roller coaster thing I´m in. All it took was one random call to the most renowned coaster engineering office on the planet, which is in Munich (close to my home). The first application I ever made as a freelancer was the biggest success. Since then I´ve been doing hundreds of calls to dozens of lesser known companies, but I have never been as lucky again. So maybe I really should stick to the big things :lol: Sometimes I feel like I still don´t know what I´m looking for. It is like the things are looking for me and I just need to hang on, watching out, keeping the patience.... that´s the way those rungs seem to come down for me.

I have absolutely no experience, but hey, this is the newbies forum, so Ill chime in !

Seems to me that the key is exporting your CAD drawings into common 3d models (3dMax etc) With that, I think there WOULD be a market for architecturally accurate 3d models of buildings and what not for use in CGI \ VFX.

Additionally, maybe documentaries where they "recreate" old buildings or similar could use your skill set.

With that in mind, find someone who produces SciFi - green screen stuff, or historical documentaries etc.

Well, I don´t know whether anyone would pay me for construction work if it was only for the purpose of CGI. There must be cheaper, quicker ways, which work with Maya for example, and don´t require actual CAD. I might be totally wrong of course. What I had in mind initally is real set building, like you say too. Maybe I should really learn something like Maya? Looks like we´re getting somewhere ;)

Last edited:
Start calling 3d/ fx houses and getting contact info for their Human Resources personnel, then send resumés and portfolio links for them to look at. The work you've done may spark their fancy and get you a gig to start your new path. Asking the question of yourself was the first step toward a new goal. If you continue taking steps, you'll eventually get where you're going.

Judging from the answers so far, it looks like there is no common use of CAD in film. So, this sounds megalomaniac, but I think I might give WETA a try, because I am the most impressed by their work. Also I would gladly give help to anyone around here, seeking knowledge about wood and steel construction or roller coasters :hi:

Thanks for your help so far!

Back