Two Questions about Copyrighted Material

I preface this by saying I know next to nothing about the technicalities of copyright. Just two questions if anyone could help?

1) Any websites out there with uncopyrighted stock footage you can use in films? I'm thinking old newsreels, animal footage, war footage, etc. I'm not after anything specific just thought it'd be cool if there is a website where all that kind of stuff is compiled for filmmakers to take from.

2) What is law regarding remaking really old films? I'm talking old films, like silent stuff from the 20's. Are things like super old horrors or really early German films or the works of filmmakers like D.W. Griffith or Victor Sjostrom or Luis Bunuel fair game? The reason I ask is that there's one or two silent films that I think I could make into a really good film now but I don't want to get myself sued by some company I didn't even know existed anymore.

Hey on a similar vein, if they are fair game, then I could use footage from those films in movies couldn't I? Like have them playing on TV sets or in cinemas, or even splice them into a new narrative. Like how you see those old Bela Lugosi films getting sold for 50 cents by crazy Asian distribution companies...could I technically put one of those films into Final Cut and just do what I want with it???

I don't know, maybe I'm talking smack, but if anyone gets where I'm coming from and can answer my queries that'd be much appreciated.

2) What is law regarding remaking really old films? I'm talking old films, like silent stuff from the 20's. Are things like super old horrors or really early German films or the works of filmmakers like D.W. Griffith or Victor Sjostrom or Luis Bunuel fair game? The reason I ask is that there's one or two silent films that I think I could make into a really good film now but I don't want to get myself sued by some company I didn't even know existed anymore.

I believe the magic number is 1917. Anything before that you can use. Someone want to double check that number?

Things that are around that time, can get a little tricky. If I remember right, it depends if the owner extended the copyright on that film. It's not something that I really cared much about so my knowledge may be a little off.

Your best option would to ask a clearance company just to be sure.

And it appears my film is on the list. Thanks Cracker Funk!

Woohoooo!!!! My curiosity is piqued. Should you be so inclined to PM me the movie you plan to remake, I promise not to steal your remake idea.

I'm contemplating "remaking" a classic movie, but it's not in the public domain so I'd have to do a loose "re-imagining" or "homage". ;)

Your query makes me think that I should peruse the films in the public domain, though. Maybe there's an awesome story already written that's ripe for the pickin'!

Best of luck! :)

I'm curious about whether something that is in the public domain can also be legally altered, modified, combined with other public domain properties (like what Doghouse has planned) or must it be preserved as an individual item. Also, I discovered that something can be in the public domain in America, but still have an active copyright in other countries. And other things can have a 'perpetual' or 'crown' copyright which will never expire until certain conditions are met. For example, the Great Ormond Street Hospital (London) will receive royalties in perpetuity for 'Peter Pan'.
You have an interesting idea, Doghouse, and I wish you luck.

Back