Tunisia wants to attract SW fans.

Why not? Worked well for NZ. Of course, they're selling the breathtaking beauty of Middle Earth, whereas Tunisia is selling the barren galactic backwater run by gangsters that the hero can't WAIT to leave...

who am I kidding? I'd love to kick back in the Mos Eisley Cantina, listen to some unfortunately named music and have some brightly colored drinks! Just leave your droids at the door and always remember to shoot first! And it makes a better tourist destination than, say, Hoth!

I've been to Tatooine and a few of the Star Wars locations in Tunisia. I didn't do it deliberately or even know Star Wars was shot there but at the time, it was impossible to avoid. All the guides ask you about it and point this stuff out.

Coming from Djerba, Tatooine, the hand of Fatima (the force), the walkers, the swords, traditional clothes, the traditional houses, bedouin etc... were all around and when I mentioned I was a Star Wars fan, the guide and driver didn't give me any choice. And that was 10 years ago!

It's really, really interesting though and it opened my eyes to how Lucas made it successful. He took from his surroundings and just used everything around him. Really interesting if you're ever in the neighbourhood.

It's really, really interesting though and it opened my eyes to how Lucas made it successful. He took from his surroundings and just used everything around him. Really interesting if you're ever in the neighbourhood.

Really - maybe I should go, then, to get inspiration. Can you tell me more about what you learned? :)

And, on the subject of SW, here's a dated review that shows why Empire has stood the test of time, because it focuses on characters. And, as the reviewer said,

Han Solo's true heroism is not best explored in blaster battles, but in his reactions to carbonite freezing.

I never thought of that, but it's so true. I keep learning something new about that wonderful film. :)

Last edited:
Back