Trying to get the flow

Hello all.

I think this is going to sound weird but i'd like to know your opinions/thoughts please.

I've bought good filming material (dslr, good lenses, tripod, slider, glidecam), but now i ask myself "Now what can i shoot with this?". I mean, i already have that material since October and i've never used it yet. I want to shoot cool stuff, i want people to see my videos so i can also have work to do and earn money with that.

But i have nothing, there's no point having all of that material if then i procrastinate and always keep postpone the time that comes to sit and try to have ideas about what to shoot. Maybe nature? People? Streets?

Is there anyone here that has passed for the same situation?

Hello guys.

First i would like to thank you all for your replies, precious words i've found in all your posts.

WalterB thank a lot for sharing those ideas for me, i may be do something with it!

Maybe that's it, i'm "just" a camera man and i want to figure it out as soon as possible. Now i have 2 days off from my work and i'll take some photos while i walk in the city to see if i can get some inspiration to write!

The truth is, since i've joining the forum, i've been learning and everybody is always very helpful and patient. I really appreciate that.

Tools

I´ve had for years had the same problem, so decided to try studying. Trying to get a business to go to collegel I´ve been preparing this for a little while. It still needs to be corrected and improved, but has tools to create professional films. I will be studying, writting more, and contributing as much as I´m able, but for now, i´ll start giving my site´s address, where I´ll be posting information. Some of it is extraordinary. Some of it is free, other, are courses or tools you have to pay for, probably not written by me, but excellent . I´ll try, as I keep learning, to post the best information I´m able to find or learn, more when I start college... Hope it can help and you shall be creating amazing films. Thank you. Diego Jiménez :) :yes:

This is my site: https://sites.google.com/site/moviemakingexplained/

Thank you lots

Hello all. This has been a motivating post. Just wanted to share my story as I have been in the same predicament for a few years. I was in the industry for a couple years as a young lighting / electric crew "apprentice" if you will. I had to quit to provide for my family - which meant taking a corporate position with benefits etc.

In all this time that has passed I've never lost the desire to start shooting again. Anything. But what to shoot?

So eventually I took a small idea I had in my head - just a scene - and it eventually turned into a 13 page script. It was weird because the idea just fed itself and it built upon itself. I'm not a writer director or any kind of film professional by any means. Just someone who enjoys being behind the camera. So this isn't for money, or wanting to become famous. I just wanna shoot some cool stuff.

My problem now is just finding the time to do it, which is a good problem to have since I have the gear, script, etc... I'm going to shoot it, regardless of quality because of lack of gear etc... because it's better than not shooting anything. In my case it will be me and the kids, and any family member or friend who wants to help, be in it, whatever.

It's tough to figure out how to start so I totally empathize. The other posters have already covered this but yeah just walk outside. Shoot some wildlife, cars, your buddies, family, the city scape. I think the heating a pizza sequence is a good way to shoot something... who knows it may turn into a you catch a burglar in the act of heating the pizza you wanted and then getting into a fight over it... that would be cool.

Good luck!

Just shoot... I made this quick youtube video with my cellphone and edited it in a few minutes. It's crazy but doing just this tiny project, keeps my eyes sharp and enhances my storytelling with imagery. Just in these few edits, I told you the story that I was about to play my guitar, and actually build a tiny bit of anticipation for the viewer. Once again on a cell phone camera.

https://youtu.be/uA_bL0Obotg

Gear only works to enhance your shots, but if you don't know what shots to get to tell the story, then all you have is a series of pretty pictures.

I second this. I would actually like to see a short clip featuring this. yes. i am tempted to do it myself, haha.:lol:

I "third" this. Can we get this project going? I will donate to an online campaign.

@OP: Other than filming a simple or doing a short film for practice, try hitting Poptent. They'll have assets and instructions which will help guide you.

Goodluck and share your first project here when you're done.

Back