Trying to Choose...

I am looking to but a new camera and I have narrowed it done to a few cameras. I have been reading all over the forum looking for information to make my decision easier but cant seems to get exactly what I want. So here is what I am trying to choose between

PMW- 200
NX5U
FS700

Those are my 3 picks. Now I like the NX5U and PMW because of their form Factor but I love the FS700 because of its picture quality and interchangeable lenses. Now here are a few questions that I am pondering.

Could I still make short films with the PMW and NX or will it suffer to much from fixed lenses and smaller sensors?

How much of a difference is there between the NX and PMW?

Does age matter? (NX5U is 2 years old)

Those seem to be my main issues. I am really worried about the age of the NX even though from what I can see I think I would like the camera. I also really don't want to be hindered to much when it comes to making shorts and low budget films. Thank in advance for feedback :)

I'd go with the NX5U, and put the $2k you'd be saving towards quality audio equipment. The NX5U will get the job done for a short or low budget feature. Audio is very very important to bringing everything together when you're making a short or low budget feature.

Ok so you don't think that the sensor size will hurt me?

Also investing in audio means external? Or just good mics for capturing through onboard XLR?

I can't really give any input on the sensor size and how it will actually affect anything.

But, I can give a little input on the audio. External. The best way to capture sound is by getting the mic off the camera, and onto a boom going to it's own recorder.

I can't really give any input on the sensor size and how it will actually affect anything.

But, I can give a little input on the audio. External. The best way to capture sound is by getting the mic off the camera, and onto a boom going to it's own recorder.

Ok thanks for your input! I am going to pick up some external audio gear. However my biggest pro for going with the pro cameras were the xlr imputs but now I think a dslr might be a good option like the A77? Would that work for low budget stuff? Last question :P

I am looking to but a new camera and I have narrowed it done to a few cameras. I have been reading all over the forum looking for information to make my decision easier but cant seems to get exactly what I want. So here is what I am trying to choose between

PMW- 200
NX5U
FS700

Those are my 3 picks. Now I like the NX5U and PMW because of their form Factor but I love the FS700 because of its picture quality and interchangeable lenses. Now here are a few questions that I am pondering.

Could I still make short films with the PMW and NX or will it suffer to much from fixed lenses and smaller sensors?

How much of a difference is there between the NX and PMW?

Does age matter? (NX5U is 2 years old)

Those seem to be my main issues. I am really worried about the age of the NX even though from what I can see I think I would like the camera. I also really don't want to be hindered to much when it comes to making shorts and low budget films. Thank in advance for feedback :)

Hi darkkar - what sort of "short films" do you plan to make? If you plan to shoot narrative, you will probably want to have some control over depth of field (DOF). Although they are both wonderful cameras, small sensor camcorders such as the NX5U and PMW-200 won't give you much control over DOF.

Images from the NX5U will look something like this:

http://vimeo.com/15155793

And images from the PMW-200 will look something like this:

http://vimeo.com/49126061

This is a great look for documentaries, reality shows and newsgathering intended for broadcast. Not so much for commercials, music videos or narrative story-telling intended for theatrical projection or online distribution.

Contrast the look from these cameras with the shallow DOF look from large sensor cameras such as the FS700:

http://vimeo.com/54848186

Or the similarly priced Canon C100:

http://vimeo.com/56264185

In the final analysis, you will have to decide which look you want - and then how much you're willing to pay for it.

You can get the FS700U from Adorama for $7999(US) plus duties and shipping to Canada or from ebay.ca for about $7950(US), shipping included.

The C100 is $6499 plus shipping and duties from Adorama.

In your price range, unless you really need the FS700's slow motion capability, I would look seriously at the C100.

...my biggest pro for going with the pro cameras were the xlr imputs but now I think a dslr might be a good option like the A77? Would that work for low budget stuff?...

XLR inputs and high quality in-camera sound are not the only reason to shoot with a pro camera instead of a DSLR, Sony DSLT (like the A77) or Panasonic DSLM.

DSL cameras suffer from a phenomenon called moire (shot-ruining shimmering colors in patterned objects such as shingled roofs, brickwork, and striped clothing). See this example from the A77:

https://vimeo.com/36310528

Note the moire on the venetian blinds in the windows at 1:19, on the skyscrapers in the distance at 1:32, and to a lesser extent on the shingled roofs.

And, except for the $1300 Panasonic GH3, all DSL cameras below $2000 lack headphone jacks.

DSL cameras also lack power zooms, control of cine gamma, most lack zebras, focus peaking and many other features that make life easier for DPs. If your budget supports it, buy or rent a pro cine camera or camcorder.

If you can't afford a cinema camera, DSL cameras will produce great images, but they have serious limitations.

Hope this is helpful,

Bill

Last edited:
Thanks bill! Your post was very informative and I got a lot from it. Let me just give you a idea of where I want to go.

I am just starting out and don't have much exp. My goal is to start with some horror shorts so I would like great audio and a camera that works well in low light. Right now I need something to start doing some test shots and get acquainted with CS6. I have $2500 to drop right now.

So I am wondering if I should go with a dslr now for the next 6 months and then after that look at buying something more high end? Or should I hold out until I am ready for a big purchase? In two months I will have a budget around 5k.

Thanks bill! Your post was very informative and I got a lot from it. Let me just give you a idea of where I want to go.

I am just starting out and don't have much exp. My goal is to start with some horror shorts so I would like great audio and a camera that works well in low light. Right now I need something to start doing some test shots and get acquainted with CS6. I have $2500 to drop right now.

So I am wondering if I should go with a dslr now for the next 6 months and then after that look at buying something more high end? Or should I hold out until I am ready for a big purchase? In two months I will have a budget around 5k.

In my humble opinion, you should wait and do some reading on moviemaking and digital cinematography outside of the internet. Others may suggest a different reading list, but I recommend a couple of books on the craft, e.g., Mascelli's Five C's of Cinematography and Mercado's The Filmmaker's Eye: Learning (and Breaking) the Rules of Cinematic Composition - and a couple of books on guerilla filmmaking, e.g., Rodriguez' Rebel Without a Crew and Kaufman, Jahnke and Haaga's Make Your Own Damn Movie!

When you get your $5000 camera budget saved up (assuming you have separate budgets for sound and lighting), I recommend a real digital cinema camera (which you won't be able to do if you've spent $2500 of it on a DSLR).

For what you're trying to do (low light horror narrative), I recommend the new $3000 BlackMagic Cinema Camera. You will need the extra $2000 for lenses, camera support, external power, Solid State Drives for video file storage, etc.

Completely worth the money, though, and produces higher resolution images than any of the cameras discussed so far (2.5K as opposed to the 1.1K of 1080p) . Suitable for projection at 2K in the cinema.

Here is what this camera can do in low light:

"The Ride to Fame": http://vimeo.com/56191630

"Texting is Dangerous": http://vimeo.com/48861294

Again, hope this is helpful.

Bill

In my humble opinion, you should wait and do some reading on moviemaking and digital cinematography outside of the internet. Others may suggest a different reading list, but I recommend a couple of books on the craft, e.g., Mascelli's Five C's of Cinematography and Mercado's The Filmmaker's Eye: Learning (and Breaking) the Rules of Cinematic Composition - and a couple of books on guerilla filmmaking, e.g., Rodriguez' Rebel Without a Crew and Kaufman, Jahnke and Haaga's Make Your Own Damn Movie!

When you get your $5000 camera budget saved up (assuming you have separate budgets for sound and lighting), I recommend a real digital cinema camera (which you won't be able to do if you've spent $2500 of it on a DSLR).

For what you're trying to do (low light horror narrative), I recommend the new $3000 BlackMagic Cinema Camera. You will need the extra $2000 for lenses, camera support, external power, Solid State Drives for video file storage, etc.

Completely worth the money, though, and produces higher resolution images than any of the cameras discussed so far (2.5K as opposed to the 1.1K of 1080p) . Suitable for projection at 2K in the cinema.

Here is what this camera can do in low light:

"The Ride to Fame": http://vimeo.com/56191630

"Texting is Dangerous": http://vimeo.com/48861294

Again, hope this is helpful.

Bill

Thanks for the info again bill! I just want to say that 1080 is about 1.9k I believe as it goes by width and not height like above user said. Though I do agree I am going to wait on a good camera like the fs700. I already looked at the black magic and although it looks like a great camera and there are many things I like about it I just feel that it is not what I am looking for. Also Ill look at those books :)

Back