"Trunk Fiction" in ze can

What a long day it was today! But wow, did it ever feel great when the shoot wrapped up.

"Trunk Fiction" (working title) is a short I've been looking forward to make for some time now. It clearly has some nods to Tarantino, as the name implies, and it was such a relief to finally film the infamous "trunk shot". I just had to get that out of my system. :cool:

There were three actors in this. Michael Arvizu and David Ament had both worked together with me in "Broadband" a few months back. It was really good to get them back for this one. Betty Roberts was a newcomer to acting, but no stranger to writing and screenplays. (I brainstorm ideas with her every week, and we come up with neato tales).

Boardmember DirectorX was an amazing DP for this short. He was constantly coming up with ideas to improve my basic shotlist, and was able to translate my lousy descriptions into workable shots. Climbing up ladders, hiding in the trunk, knowing when what I wanted would have crossed the line... he handled the beautiful Super-8 camera with ease. Hopefully I didn't wear him out too much; he was non-stop action!

Jim Davis was along, too, to do lots & lots of light-meter readings and checkings. He was a huge help to have there, as was my brother Glenn Richards who was on boom-mic after the original handler was unable to make it.

Sooo... now it's time to send off the Super-8 to be developed, then 'cined. The the monstrosity will be edited to perfection (ahem :P ) and uploaded for your viewing pleasure... at which point you get to decide whether it is actually funny, or if you should demand a return of the last 4 minutes of your life spent watching it.
smiley_poof.gif

Working on some piccies to share, will upload some Monday.

It was just great to have such hard-working people along for this. :)

Looking foward to seeing your results.

My only question is how you managed to get the creator of Garfield out to meter light??

:lol:

Reminds me of the time at all state chorus back in '88 when Barbara Walters played piano for the rehearsals.

Mikey D said:
Looking foward to seeing your results.

My only question is how you managed to get the creator of Garfield out to meter light??

:lol:

After the fact, I wanted to work a Garfield joke into it... sadly I did not learn off his last name 'til we were wrapping after the long day.

Must be a mixed blessing to share a name with a celebrity. :cool:

Since I had an entirely volunteer crew and cast (ie: unpaid), I figured the least I could do was to get them something memorable for their hard time.

They don't know yet, so :secret:

These were not terribley expensive, and they look very nice indeed. (The picture doesn't do them justice, in fact) I think I'll keep doing these limited edition hats for all my shorts now on.

If I ever get famous, I bet a few of these will surface on Ebay... I give it 4 years, max. :cool:

zen_hats.jpg

Dang Zen awesome hats! I didn't know you could sew like that. :P
Anyway...what company did them? I've always wanted to have hats/shirts made up for cast and crew.
Any links would be helpful. :yes: or how much you charge? :D

Working on a poster-type of thing. Not finished with it yet, but it's coming along.

tf_01.jpg

The hats were made at an outside booth, at a local mall. They had a bizarre piece of sewing machinery on it that was connected to a computer, where you'd type in what you wanted. Each hat took 6500 stitches to make, and took about 10 mins per hat. :cool:

Glad you were able to hook up with another IndieTalk member for this shoot! Looking forward to seeing the footage.

indietalk said:
Glad you were able to hook up with another IndieTalk member for this shoot!

I was thrilled to be able to work with another IndieTalk member, and even more so when he proved so exceptional as DP. :cool:

I hope people are using the forums to find friendly local filmmakers, too. This is a great place to do it.

indietalk said:
Looking forward to seeing the footage.

After I've edited it and all is revealed in the last five seconds... you'll regret that statement. :lol:

Wow!!!

Steve, it has been a pleasure working with you on this.

The hats are awesome!!! Ahhh!!! (drooling like Homer).

The poster is very badass!

DirectorX said:
Steve, it has been a pleasure working with you on this.

The hats are awesome!!! Ahhh!!! (drooling like Homer).

The poster is very badass!

Thank you, Flaviu!

You had so many great ideas while working on this.

The film arrived at Dwayne's Photo today (Friday), btw. I am not sure if they work over the weekend, so I assume they will get it processed on Monday. Might be up to 2 weeks 'til it gets returned, then sent to be 'cined, then back again.

I'll be uploading video of the finished 'cine when that is complete, for you to get a sneak peek at before I edit it. :cool:

Holy cow! :eek:

Those people at Dwayne's Photo are faaaaast!

The film arrived there on Friday... they had it developed and mailed it back to me... on the same day!

It arrived on my doorstep today (Monday). I hope the footage looks good. :D

...and here is a fine picture, of the 200 feet of processed film. Now to get it 'cined!

film_can.jpg

I gotta say that is one of the most beautiful and inspiring images I have seen in a while. I must get out and find me one of those new fangled super8mm thingies.

uhmmmm.... does the fact that I get all tingly inside when I see a 200 ft reel of film mean that there is something wrong with me? Am I some sort of devient? Do they have group meetings for people like me?

I don't think anything is wrong with you Mikey. I love this image as well.

Zen awesome that you got it back so fast. I hope it came out all good. Do you have a projector to see what it looks like now? Or are you just sending it off to the telecine now? Congrats on getting it back so fast. :)

Congrats Zen!!

I too just got back my film (mine was tests though) in a pizza box. Film rocks!
Keep us updated on your project!

Back