Truffaut quote

What comes to mind when you hear the name Truffaut?

• Bourgeois

Votes: 1 11.1%
  • Pretentious

Votes: 3 33.3%
  • Brilliant

• Old Shriv

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Over-rated

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Influential

Votes: 3 33.3%
  • whatever....

• Total voters
I've been readinga biography on Truffaut, thought this quote would be appropriate for everyone:

"The film of tomorrow appears to me as even more personal than an individual and autobiographical novel, like a confession, or a diary. The young filmmakers will express themselves in the first person and will relate what has happened to them. It may be the story of their first love or their most recent; of their political awakening; the story of a trip, a sickness, their military service, their marriage, their last vacation...and it will be enjoyable because it will be true, and new...The film of tomorrow will not be directed by civil servants of the camera, but by artists for whom shooting a film constitutes a wonderful and thrilling adventure. The film of tomorrow will resemble the person who made it, and the number of spectators will be proportional to the number of friends the director has. The film of tomorrow will be an act of love."

AMEN

Sounds like he is describing so-called "Reality TV" as the film of tomorrow. :lol:

I don't know much about Truffaut, so voting "pretentious"... just based soley on this quote.

Last edited:
Sounds like he is describing so-called "Reality TV" as the film of tomorrow

He wasn't. Truffaut comes from a French tradition of intellectual filmmakers, who wanted to radicalise film. They had a love\hate relationship with Hollywood; Loving some of the imagery, particularly of film noir, but hating the mass market market naratives.

Truffaut isn't pretentious, he just sees film in a very different, very European way. France has a history of appreciating both artists and intellectuals, they have very good funding for film making and have managed to retain a strong, state supported independent film scene.

What Trauffaut was predicting was not Reality TV, but global indie filmmaking. Forty years ago, less than 1% of the regulars in this forum would have been able to be filmmakers (not because they weren't born ;) ) because the mean of making films was not acccessible to most people and the process very expensive.

I think Trauffaut hoped that greater access to filmmaking would bring forward new voices and new ways of telling stories, moving away from the formulas of Hollywood naratives. Whether he is right or not, only time will tell.

However, it's nice to have a posting about a Trauffaut, who as part the French New Wave filmmakers has had a major influence on world film-making.

Zensteve said:
Sounds like he is describing so-called "Reality TV" as the film of tomorrow. :lol:
Antoine Doinel (the character from The 400 Blows) was said to be modeled after Truffaut himself. Antoine appeared in 4 subsequent films, where we basically got to see him grow up on film. :)

Zensteve said:
I don't know much about Truffaut, so voting "pretentious"... just based soley on this quote.
Watch The 400 Blows, and Breathless, these are two of the groundbreaking films that set the tone for the French New Wave. The 400 Blows was written and directed by Truffaut, and Breathless was writted and directed by Godard, and the story was created by Truffaut.

• Philosopher
    smiley_yes.gif
  • Filmmaker
    smiley_yes.gif
  • French
    smiley_yes.gif

I rest my case.

(But seriously, I should look this guy up. Always looking to learn more)

Last edited:
Glad this Truffaut post got some attention. I was a bit worried about the first two replies. I'm a big fan and somewhat influenced by his ideas and passion with film. Another quote, in a letter to a close friend:

"Good films are shot in rooms, with one's ass in a chair."
-----Francois Truffaut

Back