• Wondering which camera, gear, computer, or software to buy? Ask in our Gear Guide.

Truby or McKee?

I just read save the cat! Brilliant, really helpful on so many levels...Now I just started Story: Style, Structure, Substance, and the Principles of Screenwriting, but some of amazon reviews are making me changing my mind, they say go Truby instead...what shoud I do? Because I have The anatomy of story waiting in my kindle...what should I do? Do you have even another one to advice me, for screenwriting like save tha cat! maybe?!?!

I would say that neither is 100% definitive, that you should read both; then identify and take what works for you from each, and apply it.

...and then 30 years from now, write a book on screenplays based on your experiences :)

No love for Syd Field? That's sad.

Agreed. So many "how to be a screenwriter" books are simply twists on the same ideas with cute titles.

Having been there, sometimes I think the best way to teach yourself screenwriting is to read as many screenplays as possible (1st or original drafts) and make a film from one of *your* scripts.

My 2 centavos.

Back