• READ BEFORE POSTING!
    • If posting a video, please post HERE, unless it is a video as part of an advertisement and then post it in this section.
    • If replying to threads please remember this is the Promotion area and the person posting may not be open to feedback.

watch Trailer for my first Feature Film, "The Mix-In"

The thing is, if you're barely paying people you have to feed them well. It's respect. Food goes a long way. People complain about airline food when they're only on the plane for two hours. Imagine being on the set for 14 hours and getting bagels and pizza (or other cheap food). No way. You can work out catering deals with film caterers, or use local joints, but film caterers are better prepared to deal with film (hours, etc.)

People flying on planes aren't building up their skills, networking, and following their dream as they fly with other individuals all doing the same thing. I just can't relate your correlation.

I'm not sure what 'feed them well' means...but what micro-budget film can afford Whole Foods cold cuts or private catering everyday? Not many...

Trust me, bagels in the morning and pizza in the afternoon makes people very happy. And as long as you mix it up (sometimes Tai take out), people are happy. It's not just what you feed the actors that keeps them happy...it's how you treat them.

He understood, and simply said there were some things he thought actors were 'owed', and that catered food was one of them.

Bullshit. What a diva. I wouldn't work with this dude again. Was he union? Then tell him to go get a union gig and raid the catering truck every chance he can get...but on a micro-budget film, every penny counts. Having to take out a second loan for one actor's food is ridiculous. We have 6 or 7 solid film companies in our area, and we all know each other...if this actor tried this on one of our sets, he'd be doing backyard films with friends in no time. Word spreads quickly in this industry...if you're a dick or a diva, people find out quickly, and no matter how good you are, you ain't getting a call.

If there's enough of a budget for food and meals to be provided, great, if not, no problem. I would have to eat either way, so it's not a big deal to me if I have to bring my own lunch. And I know from speaking with my cast and crews along my various projects that the vast majority of them feel the same, as long as they believe in the project and good working conditions are provided, they're happy.

Bingo. Nail ---> Head.

If you are non-union, things are different. You find teams you like working with...teams you believe in. They become friends, and you all work together for a common goal, and for the love of filmmaking. If you believe in the project, you make it work, and you understand shortcomings.

If you get to set and things are horrid, and you can tell the Director and DP don't know their ass from a hole in the ground...well, then you can start complaining about not being fed. Better yet, you can suffer through one project, remaining professional, and then never work for them again...it's done all the time.

Sorry to bump a relatively old thread but I just stumbled across this and found it very interesting.

Are there any updates on how this movie went at sundance?

Also the original links are down.... I couldn't watch the trailers :(

Your website is down and the trailer requires a password. I was ready to give a critique but I can't.

I'm saddened.

Wow and I just realized this thread is almost a year old... Thanks Gibbo...

Back