Total price for decent level filming?

Hi, I'm currently using Sony HDR - CX160 to basically do everything since I'm very new to cinematography. Now, I know that filming tools such as dolly, jib, all the different mics, the CAMERA itself, the lens, and all the other tools cost ALOT of money. I'm just curious, how much money should I save up so that in 2-3 years, I can buy decent-level film tools?(including the camera itself) I know I'm being very ambiguous with the term "Decent-level", but I'm talking about tools that I can make first professional indie film in a entry-med level. Thanks!

Talent is what matters ther are a lot of experienced directors out there that make Crappy films because they do not have much talent. Most low budget movies suck do to poor Planning, Writing and Rushing to make the film instead of taking your time to set up a good shot, or anything else for that matter. Find the right actors, etc.

If somebody gave me the same budget that guy had for birdemic shock and terror. I'd film on DSLR's (not the camera he shot on) set up better shots and actually direct the actors properly and give them a good script to work with.

This is one of the reasons why I havent shot any films yet. Preparing myself beforehand.
"Taking your time to set up the shot" means 10 to 100 people waiting around while you take your time. Every single minute is money in the producer's mind.

I claim that one of the biggest benefits from being an experienced director or crewmember is that you take less time to set up the shot you want. Especially in indi films where there's no payment, when you're taking too much time to set up a shot, the talent gets antsy and annoyed. The crew wonders why they're sitting around, as half the crew will be out of the way. This issue is mitigated by good planning, as you mentioned, but rushing is a good thing. Just rush with a determined result in mind and not in a sloppy manner.

The best way to actually learn how to set up these shots quickly is to actually shoot a film to get the experience setting up other shots. Each subsequent shoot you do will be better and faster. Each day you do it will be better than the previous day.

Preparing your brain beforehand is good... that means a shot list and shooting script and having an idea of how to light it, and knowing your equipment well.

If that's the real reason you haven't shot any films, I don't think you want to shoot any films. It's a pretty flimsy reason. It sounds to me like you're being paralyzed instead of prudent, and trying to pass that off as wisdom. I don't buy it. Even a bad film will prepare you to make a good film, more than being paralyzed in fear of failure.

Here's a cool way to slam dunk a scene: do a technical on-location rehearsal, apart from the dramatic rehearsal. Thus, you shoot the scene in advance with non actors, testing out every technical factor (light combos, mic positions, focal lengths, exposure, cam motions) to ensure that the real deal is smooth as silk - and fast, so that the actors are given full attention and are completely in the moment (& that really is a big deal..).

Back