Torbtown

hmmm... so, isn't an introduction a form of self promotion? bah.

I see that many folks here hide behind goofy names and silly avatars... honestly? Now then, in a conspiracy / aliens ate my homework kind of forum, okay, I can see not wanting the world to know that you hang out there and post silly stuff... but isn't one of the primary points of being a member here to get yourself and your works Known? Maybe even land a groovy gig or two?

Oh well, that's just my own personal pet peeve. No offense to that man standing behind the curtain.

My name really is Torbjon. Ya, I know, it's Norwegian. The name is, not me. I'm as American as a prune danish. The cute kid in my avatar is my daughter. Her name is Nola. Ya, we know. It's a family name and has nothing to do with New Orleans, where we are now currently residing.

Speaking of avatars, what's with the 100 X 100 pixel limit? C'mon folks, we work in a Visual medium, after all... that's not a lot of space to have fun with, ya know? Oh well, maybe that will change over time...

I titled this little love fest Torbtown. It's a "get to know you" post, yes? Well, that's probably the best way to get to know me (assuming you are insanely bored, that is.) It googles well, don't be shy. No one will even know that you went there. Pics, flicks, podcasts, and a boat load of writing, more than enough dribble there to thoroughly convince you that I am a complete and total dork.... or really groovy guy, depending upon how dorky You are *shrugs*

It's always the eye of the beholder, ya know?

Okay, I've wasted enough server space for now, we'll see how this flies.

rock on people
twj

Thank you muchly,

Nice place, there's a lot to digest here.

Any success stories floating around? ie folks hooking up and making their dreams come true? maybe even scoring that oh so coveted "paying job"?

I mean, I know there's folks here already in the biz and all, but I'm talkin' about newbie nobodies like me who buzz in here all star struck and dreamy eyed, hang out for a while, get discovered, and subsequently move on to bigger and brighter things...

you know, like in the movies.

I could use a decent success story right 'bout now... my current employers are being... hmmm... what's a word I could use to describe them that are within the T&C here?

*ponders*

Nope, there doesn't seem to be a word in the English language that is both fitting to the situation And politically correct here... funny that, I'm usually pretty good with colorful metaphors, too *laughs*

Suffice it to say that I'm just a wee bit depressed these days and lookin' for work... and this place seemed like a more enjoyable venue than craigslist (which is insanely depressing)

Any thoughts on the subject would be appreciated...

Or not *shurgs* I'm still learning the ropes here, no stress.

Hey, thanks for the welcome.

Catch you on the flip side.
twj

Welcome to the boards! :)

I can only speak for myself of the Avatar/creative name-a couple reasons. One, for simple art/creativity sake. I've also found that when first meeting on the internet and getting to know people, you want your ideas to be paid attention to, not what you look like-silly as it sounds, people still DO make first impressions on what one "looks like". I've found this board isn't so much about "Hey, producers out there, look what I can do!"(thought there is a promotional forum as you've said). It's more of a "what do you think about this clip/short" or "how do I do *blank*". It's here for support and community.

Plus, myself, I can be reclusive-which seems odd, given my chosen vocation I know :lol: I do what I do for pure joy and art. Someone once said to me "If you are in the movie making industry (particularly at the indie level) for the sole reason of making money, you're in the wrong industry" :) (That's not to say I would turn my nose up at 10 million dollar contract offer tomorrow, but the creation is the priority for me, the money-if there is any-is gravy)

EDIT:just saw your next post-A lot of good and friendly people here willing to help out to be the best filmmaker you can be! I like your straightshooting yet kind personality :)

Don't know if that answers your question, but it's how my path goes. Your milage may vary, either way I look foward to your posts and work.

Last edited:
Hi Tinalera,

Thanks for the welcome and the feedback... um, will you flip if I just call you Tina? I usually go by Torb, myself, as Torbjon is just too hard for the average Joe...

The name/avatar thingy, ya, that really is just a pet peeve of mine... normally I haunt those "nutty" conspiracy sites... not that I'm into conspiracy so much, I just like to chat with them... gig is, most of those folks want to be believed and taken Seriously, ya know? But they create these online persona's... a "digital ego", that is so far out in left field there's no way I could ever take them seriously... So when I saw "nutty" names and far out avatars my first reaction was "uh-oh, it's a board full of wannabes".

However, that opinion is changing rapidly... there's some good people here... perhaps someday I'll be one of 'em *shrugs* time will tell.

As far as the pay gig goes *laughs* hey, I'm a commie to the Nth degree, I'm not lookin' to get rich (though, like you, I doubt I'd turn down the big contract). Nawww... I just want to work in a field that I'm passionate about... in a dream world said work would also help me feed my kid and pay a few of my meager bills, tha's all.

I watched "dave rabbit" get re-discovered over at ATS some years ago, that was sweet... just curious if anything like that has happened here yet...

Support and Community is good enough for me though... as I mentioned to MOM in the Aloha Mom thread, it isn't so much What you know as Who you know, ya know? I doubt getting to know people here could hurt my reputation too much *grins*

Hey, here's a question to the board in general, and I'm pretty sure I know the answer as it's counter productive to the survival of the board itself, but:

Anyone ever get sponsored for the Premium areas of the board? No way in L that I'll be able to afford the meager (and extremely reasonable) membership fees anytime soon, and I'm insanely curious about a few of the threads in there... the screenwriters one is of particular interest at the moment...

Like my old man used to say; "never hurts to ask"

laters
twj

People have taken to calling me Tina around here, so why not :lol: I got my name from my Dungeons and Dragons days, Tinalera Shadowhawk-drow elf:D

As far as conspiracy stuff, nah, nothing like that....just ignore that black box in the corner there ;)

Seriously, it's a great place to get ideas, and there's no dumb questions-though I try and use the search function, some q's have been answered a LOT-and you never get talked down on-this is probably one of the friendliest forums I visit-no agendas, people just wanting to help and talk movies.

As far as premium-if you get voted member of the month, I believe you get a 6 month membership (vote for me! lol) I'm on the basic right now, but next month I hope to go up to the next level. You can still do a lot on basic (for my needs anyway)-but I like this place so much I WANT to support it(insert big cheesy promotional/kissup grin here:D :lol:)

Hey now, my name is my production company for more than 30 years (an homage to the late, great Stanley Kubrick). My avatar is my own ugly mug ;).

*laughs* I know I know, I did jump the gun a bit... Apologies all around...

however, you might wanna avoid the sun a bit more, you're looking a little... dehydrated.

===

Tina: well, I'll vote for you... where do I go? is there a thread for that or some button my tired ol' eyes isn't seeing? do I need to run up my post count first?

politics, gotta love it *grins*

*laughs* I know I know, I did jump the gun a bit... Apologies all around...

however, you might wanna avoid the sun a bit more, you're looking a little... dehydrated.

===

Tina: well, I'll vote for you... where do I go? is there a thread for that or some button my tired ol' eyes isn't seeing? do I need to run up my post count first?

politics, gotta love it *grins*

As far as voting (beside the fact it was in jest ;) it's actually made by the moderators, they look at posts and behavior, though they see your word there and take it into consideration;). It's about quality, not quantity. I'm actually just as happy to pay for my subscription-one of the very few places on the net that I think its worth it. But hey, I would give my vote to you right back, so we're even :).

*laughs*

all I meant by "running up post count" is that some boards don't enable features until you've made a certain number of public posts first... it's a way to help ensure that the new member is serious, sincere, and going to stick around a while... usually it's things like the PM service, or the emotocons (smilies) or the ability to embed graphics or youtubes in your post, etc.

was just wondering if there was a Vote button or a Reputation button or something that I wasn't seeing due to my 'newness' here, tha's all *shrugs*

Hey, I was noticing in another thread somewhere that you said something like "I got dibs on editing"... you like to edit?? If so, what do you use??

Editing is a Passion of mine (writing is my primary passion, but we won't go there now)

I'm using an ancient version of Final Cut (4 point something) on an even more ancient iMac (the G4... looks like a ladybug)

I think the cell phone Nola found at the bottom of a mud puddle the other day has more computing power than my Mac *laughs*

*sighs*

sucks being dirt poor sometimes... oh well, so it goes.

Great choice! 2001 is my fav movie by him.

@OP: my name is my name. first and last. i see you just have your first...

Ya, Really did jump the gun on that one, feeling rather sheepish about it now, sorry 'bout that *blush*

With a name like "Torbjon" I figured I didn't really need a last name... it's generic anyway (Jensen)

Torbtown has been on the net for about 12 years now, and I've been running as Torbjon since bbs days.

I was the Only "Torbjon" on the net until Europe opened up a backbone at the turn of this century, even then, it's not that common of a name, ya know? I google well, don't want to muddy that by changing my handle...

as far as Kubrick goes, hey, "Dr. Strangelove: or How I Learned to Stop Worrying and Love the Bomb" is number one in my book. Spooky as all get go.

*laughs*

all I meant by "running up post count" is that some boards don't enable features until you've made a certain number of public posts first... it's a way to help ensure that the new member is serious, sincere, and going to stick around a while... usually it's things like the PM service, or the emotocons (smilies) or the ability to embed graphics or youtubes in your post, etc.

was just wondering if there was a Vote button or a Reputation button or something that I wasn't seeing due to my 'newness' here, tha's all *shrugs*

Hey, I was noticing in another thread somewhere that you said something like "I got dibs on editing"... you like to edit?? If so, what do you use??
Editing is a Passion of mine (writing is my primary passion, but we won't go there now)

I'm using an ancient version of Final Cut (4 point something) on an even more ancient iMac (the G4... looks like a ladybug)

I think the cell phone Nola found at the bottom of a mud puddle the other day has more computing power than my Mac *laughs*

*sighs*

sucks being dirt poor sometimes... oh well, so it goes.

No "vote", but there is reputation button-the FAQ says it's on the avatar window, but I can't make it out-I see a green arrow indiciating "online"(maybe that's it?) or "report this post", in case I said something not nice ;)

As for editing, right now (though looking up upgrade)I'm using Adobe Premiere 7-I learned on it in College, and fell in love with it. I have moviemaker on my windows, but I haven't tried it yet. I've been intrigued by Final Cut, but I don't how much difference there is between that and Premiere.

I enjoy editing, I can obsessive about it, and will spend hours nitpicking on little frame by frame details:lol: I use it on a built computer-I'm not a computer geek, I know it as Asus motherboard, and I have 150 gigs of memory (not RAM-on the hard drive I guess is the term. I was lightly chided a while ago for mixing the two terms up).

And I agree, the computing power in phones today is insane....don't get me started on the I-Pad :lol:

as far as Kubrick goes, hey, "Dr. Strangelove: or How I Learned to Stop Worrying and Love the Bomb" is number one in my book. Spooky as all get go.

Strangelove and Some Like It Hot are the two best comedies every made imho.

But 2001 is something so special that it may transcend film making itself. It is like a Rorschach test. Without knowing anything about the book or how the movie was made, when you ask someone what it meant, you get different replies which represent their own lives. To achieve this in a movie while keeping it interesting AND revolutionizing visual effects... when has something else happened like that?

I think with 2001, most people do not realize it for what it is.

Tina: I don't think the Reputation thingy is activated... we have it on other boards... the indicator for the rep usually displays just below the "Join Date, Location, Posts" text as usually a series of green or red bars, and the button to add (or subtract) rep is usually another icon that would be next to the green "on line" triangle and the red "report this post" exclamation point thingy...

Adobe Premiere, huh? I've heard mixed reviews about it over the years... some folks love it, others hate it... kinda like Apples and PCs *shrugs*

I feel that a lotta folks use Final Cut primarily because it's a Mac based program (or at least, was... is there a pc version now? I'm Soooo out of touch *laughs*) Back in the turn of this century Mac pretty much cornered the graphic design market with their chip set and various graphic design packages (mostly Adobe products). Seems like All the nyc designers, be it still or motion, use Macs...

My first non animation project was in 2003, using something called Video Wave, it was pc based, or, at least, I did the editing on a pc.... Shortly thereafter I went to NYFA and they used Macs and FCP for editing there... I slipped right into it, no problems... it's pretty intuitive, ya know? I've seen an AVID work station, but never got to use the thing... however, it Looked like I could slip right into that as well....

If you are comfortable with your software then I'm willing to bet dollars to donuts that you wouldn't have any problems slipping into FCP (or AVID or whatever) if you wanted... especially with digital medium... I mean, talk about No Stress! Mess with that footage as much as you want, the Master remains intact... gotta love that *dreamy*

===
Ernest:

I saw 2001 when it came out, at a drive in theater... which means I was about three or four years old at the time...

That flick scared the beejeebers outta me! It STILL scares the beejeebers outta me...
In my book, 2001 is a horror flick... an exquisitely made horror flick, but a horror flick nonetheless...

You asked when has something else like that happened... I'd have to say Fantasia (the original) which I also saw at about the same time in a drive in theater (obviously it was a re-release of the flick, I wasn't alive first time through) That was pretty revolutionizing and groundbreaking for the day (1940) and kind of a daring, "artsy" leap for Disney who was making good money doing more main streamed kinda kid flicks...

Welcome from an official forum "wanabe"

Your intro comes of a bit... "hey I don't really want to be here, but since I am, here is what is wrong with you people..."
Which I don't think is high on the list of ways to "make friends and influence people" but I don't care! You can have my welcome, spit on it, trod it under foot. Its yours, do with it what you like, it lies there before you.. will you pick it up? Or will you value it as naught.

:) (as if a smile makes an insult "ok") JK, but am I really.. who knows..

Last edited:
You asked when has something else like that happened... I'd have to say Fantasia (the original) which I also saw at about the same time in a drive in theater (obviously it was a re-release of the flick, I wasn't alive first time through) That was pretty revolutionizing and groundbreaking for the day (1940) and kind of a daring, "artsy" leap for Disney who was making good money doing more main streamed kinda kid flicks...

OMG Fantasia scared the living crap out of me as a kid! I haven't actually watched it since because I'm still a bit intimidated by it.

I don't think it's much of an intro to classical music for kids if all it's gonna do is make them pee their pants. Peter and the Wolf, now there is a great cartoon that introduces classical music...

Your intro comes of a bit... "hey I don't really want to be here, but since I am, here is what is wrong with you people..."
Which I don't think is high on the list of ways to "make friends and influence people" but I don't care! You can have my welcome, spit on it, trod it under foot. Its yours, do with it what you like, it lies there before you.. will you pick it up? Or will you value it as naught.

I know, but I'm not telling......;)

I didn't "get" Fantasia as a kid-seemed kinda boring. Only learned to appreciate it when I was older with the classical music (don't get me started on Fantasia 2000:rolleyes:)

It isn't classical music, but movie impression wise, I think Star Wars, with the Star Destroyer flying overhead made me drop my jaw in awe.

And from the "will not leave my mind regardless of how much I try": That mind blowing moment in "Scanners"....will not leave me alone!:lol:

WOW! The wheat's got meat *grins*
I like that a lot... regardless of whatever opinion you
choose to formulate about yours truly, I get the distinct
impression I'm going to become a big fan of yours.

I'll be the first to admit that my opening post here seemed
more than a little trollish. There's a reason for that:
I was trolling. *shrugs*
I'm looking for some "real" people to connect with...
that's insanely difficult to do on the net as the vast
majority of internet citizens create "digital egos" to hide behind...

Finding folks to fantasy role play with? Not a problem.
You could be role playing with me Right Now and it
would take me a while to figure it out.
For all I know, the "real" you is the sweetest, kindest,
most gentle little old lady from Pasadena that ever was, but online?
Look Out! Here comes the Wheat Grinding, Meat Eating, Baby Killer from L!!!
Run for the hills! *laughs*

So ya, perhaps my entrance wasn't the best in the world...

but it wasn't the worst, either....

Just as I want to connect with some "real" people,
I also want them to be able to connect with a "real" person in return,
not some sanitized, march with the board borg collective or else persona...

So yep, I marched in here and spewed some less than stellar dribble
I wanted to see if being me on a less than stellar day would sink or swim here...
If I can't be me, then I need to know that asap so I don't waste your time
or mine.

Life's too short for that, ya know?

OMG Fantasia scared the living crap out of me as a kid! I haven't actually watched it since because I'm still a bit intimidated by it.

I don't think it's much of an intro to classical music for kids if all it's gonna do is make them pee their pants. Peter and the Wolf, now there is a great cartoon that introduces classical music...

I think that the target audience for Fantasia was adults, not children...
The Mickey bit IS scary as all get go!
I've only seen it a few times in my life, on the big screen...
I don't want to see it on the small screen...
I'm afraid that will muddy my memories of it, (which are generally pleasant and Magical)
*ponders*
In fact, now that I dwell on it, I believe that that was the first time, as a child,
that I actually realized that not all cartoons are for children...
that was a very magical moment, that realization, ya know?

That notion was driven home some years later, when I was about
eight or nine years old. My folks dropped me off at the cinema
for a double feature, (no doubt so they could have some quiet time)
The first flick was One Million Years B.C., which, even then, I thought
was pretty lame, but the second feature was Fantastic Planet...
That was a Serious OMG moment in my youth *laughs*
Adult plot, adult concepts, NUDITY! All in a Cartoon!
Did a lot of growing up that summer...

Back