• Wondering which camera, gear, computer, or software to buy? Ask in our Gear Guide.

Tony Gilroy's Top Tips

Saw this article over on the BBC where Tony Gilroy (The Devil's Advocate, Armageddon, etc.) shares his top 10 tips for writing a Hollywood blockbuster: http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/entertainment-arts-24348113

I'm not going to reprint the article(follow the link above to read more), but his list includes:
1. Go to the movies
2. Make stuff up but keep it real
3. Start small
4. Learn to live by your wits
5. Write for TV
7. Get a job
8. Get a life
9. Don't live in Los Angeles
10. Develop a thick skin and just keep going

Thoughts?
Opions?
Your personal top writing tips?

1. Agreed, however I think its limiting especially if you only watch Hollywood films. Better inspiration comes from non-fiction writing and personal experiences. I'd rather go to the movies to enjoy myself rather than get inspired although if that happens, it's an added on bonus.

2. I agree, but I think you need to be careful about this. Obviously if you're introducing a made-up invention or placing your audience into a fantasy World, you want to make things up and use sound logic to make it believable, but if at all possible, I think its better to use realism. The exception of course, is if reality is ten times more boring (like space exploration). Then you might want to bend the truth a little, just to make it cool.

3. I disagree with this. I think its important to be realistic as in, don't try to make a multi-million movie right off the bat, but in this day in age, you can do a hell of a lot with 10 or 20k. I think its ok to be ambitious and reach for things that would otherwise seem intangible. You just need to know how to use the tools that are given to you (internet, networking, film skills, etc).

4. Definitely agree with this.

5. I think it depends on what you want to do. If you want to makes films, write for films. If you want to make shows, write for shows. Simple as that. I've done both and they pretty much use the same principles only shows tend to force you to expand more on your characters and plot.

7. Definitely do this, but be careful. A lot of people say they're going to seriously write and make movies while holding down a career, only to find that they don't have enough time or energy to do both. My advice is to get a job that pays enough for you to live as well as a grad student, but not something that's going to dominate your time. Its a bonus if you get an obscure job with a colorful assortment of characters.

8. Definitely. Something I struggle with since I have so much to do with my projects. But the more you live, the more you have to work with in your stories. After all creativity is nothing more than a channel of neural connections used to re-create past events in your life, only instead of re-creating them as you remember them, you're creating combinations of those experiences as well as others to create an entirely different story.

9. I agree and disagree. I think initially, you shouldn't move to L.A because A. You won't have any money unless you get a real career and B. talent is so over saturated, you'll have a hard time getting noticed. It's better to stay in your home town, work with the resources you have, and make something special so that you'll shine in that state. Then once you're somewhat established, move to L.A because there are a lot of strong connections you can build over there.

10. This is very true. Lean to distance yourself from yourself. Take criticism as advice and grow from it. Don't let it ruin you.

Advice from another screenwriter is futile unless you yourself have an inherent writing AND storytelling ability.

I disagree. If you're keen enough, you can learn writing and storytelling ability. Taking advice from those that have achieved, and are doing what you want to be doing, is one of the better ways to learn how to do anything.

Anyhow... That's a nice article. He's got some interesting things to say. I'm kind-of 50/50 on the relevance of some of it though. Like "Start Small" (I am...) and "Don't Live In LA" (I won't...). But then again, I'm not looking to be a big-shot Hollywood screenwriter at the moment, so maybe these things will become more relevant to me in the future.

Advice from another screenwriter is futile unless you yourself have an inherent writing AND storytelling ability.
Have to disagree too. I know personally my writing has hugely improved since I began. That's down to practice, great feedback from people in the industry, reading *a lot* on screenwriting (pro techniques etc - John August's site is great for that) and hundreds of pro screenplays.

Now if you're fortunate enough to be able to write inherently well and craft a great story then that's great too.

9. Don't live in Los Angeles

I don't know if I completely agree with this one. You can get work in LA, but you have to work for it. I feel like screenwriters and directors think that by moving to the LA area they are going to get work and become famous just with an average idea or screenplay. But truth be told, you have to make friends and connections, as well as have a talent and original idea others do not. There's lots of competition (especially in L.A.), and you have to crawl out of the hole of wannabe writers and directors, and find your way into the light of day. It's a pity how many hopeful screenwriters and filmmakers go into the business eager and excited, but come out cynical and depressed - working a horrible day job in an office looking at scripts or filing documents.

I disagree. If you're keen enough, you can learn writing and storytelling ability. Taking advice from those that have achieved, and are doing what you want to be doing, is one of the better ways to learn how to do anything.

Anyhow... That's a nice article. He's got some interesting things to say. I'm kind-of 50/50 on the relevance of some of it though. Like "Start Small" (I am...) and "Don't Live In LA" (I won't...). But then again, I'm not looking to be a big-shot Hollywood screenwriter at the moment, so maybe these things will become more relevant to me in the future.

I respect your opinion, but no amount of advice or learning will give you raw talent. The best writers and storytellers are those who supplemented their raw talent with academics. These writers have a VOICE in their scripts; it's what distinguishes them from those whose writing is flat, uninspired and generic. Be it from a client or otherwise, I seldom encounter scripts with a voice. If you want to impress us, you need to establish yours.

I don't know if I completely agree with this one. You can get work in LA, but you have to work for it. I feel like screenwriters and directors think that by moving to the LA area they are going to get work and become famous just with an average idea or screenplay. But truth be told, you have to make friends and connections, as well as have a talent and original idea others do not. There's lots of competition (especially in L.A.), and you have to crawl out of the hole of wannabe writers and directors, and find your way into the light of day. It's a pity how many hopeful screenwriters and filmmakers go into the business eager and excited, but come out cynical and depressed - working a horrible day job in an office looking at scripts or filing documents.

I think you missed his point; LA _is_ filled with cynical and depressed people trying to do the same thing, and fuller-than-full freeways. Moving there and surrounding yourself with that can be poison to your creative spirit, to quote his article; "a bad place to feed your head".

Making friends and connections is important, but is much more easily done when you've got some cred already. As much as I enjoy LA when I go there, I'd personally never want to live there (no offence to anyone living there!). A lot happens there, but more and more mini-hubs of film and TV are popping up all over the place.

Especially as a writer, keeping your head clear and focused is extremely important. It might well be different if you're wanting to be an actor or director, but you can write from anywhere.

CraigL

I think you missed his point; LA _is_ filled with cynical and depressed people trying to do the same thing, and fuller-than-full freeways. Moving there and surrounding yourself with that can be poison to your creative spirit, to quote his article; "a bad place to feed your head".

Making friends and connections is important, but is much more easily done when you've got some cred already. As much as I enjoy LA when I go there, I'd personally never want to live there (no offence to anyone living there!). A lot happens there, but more and more mini-hubs of film and TV are popping up all over the place.

Especially as a writer, keeping your head clear and focused is extremely important. It might well be different if you're wanting to be an actor or director, but you can write from anywhere.

CraigL

My mistake. I did not read the article, I just looked at what jmoschner has written.

Back