Tips for dealing with cast members on first movie?

My social skills are horrible but I'm trying not to let this detract from my success in the movie business. I often hear that if you're going to be in the movie business, you need fantastic social skills when in fact this industry was full of recluses like Stanley Kubrick and has just started being seen as this hugely social-fanatic industry bent on networking.

I still think to be successful in the film industry you need to make a good movie that the majority likes at a festival to get noticed. You don't have to kiss butts with people from film industries to get yourself recognized. But that's just my opinion (Which most likely may be wrong considering I'm new to Film)

But back to the point, I am kind of scared dealing with my first cast and crew for a feature film I am making because it's up to me to keep my crew inspired and dedicated since we likely will be working together on this project for 5-6 months. I don't know what to say to them aside from explaining my vision and the goals I have for this movie because I'm not a good sympathizer, I'm not good at jokes to ease stress my crew may face, and well, I'm not good at a lot socially so I'm scared that this may inhibit my success with my crew in my film.

But what are your opinions? Do you have tips when it comes to dealing with cast members for the first time? Any suggestions are much needed thanks!

@IndiePaul yes this is my first film and I am self funding it as well. I've already paid for camera equipment, tripod, dolly, and lights and I will pay my actors as I go with some of the paycheck money I got from work.

I will be the cinematographer, director of photography, director, writer, producer, sound mixer, and gaffer but I will have someone else operating the boom mic for me and the camera if necessary as well.

Each day on set will be dedicated to just a few scenes for 6-7 hours a day with my cast which is why this project could take 5-8 months

*****EDIT*****

@All the people saying I need a crew

I don't want a crew because this is my first time directing and I want to be in control of absolutely everything on the project. I'm nervous that dealing with a crew will almost be like dealing with classmates at film school which was unbearable in my opinion. It's tough enough in film that not everyone can read your mind, but explaining right down to the core to 10-15 about your project is hell.

I want to have full creative control for this project and if I have a DP that keeps not setting up shots like I had visioned in my head, he/she will eventually get stressed and probably back out of the project. I'm not very articulate, so I don't think a full crew is needed for this project. But since I have full creative control, there is no rush for this project. I don't have to deal with a ton of crew members going "When is this project going to be done?" because chances are, at least one of those crew members will back out of the project if it lasts too long.

Another benefit of just having actors is they can get the big side of my check. Why back out of a project if you're getting paid to mainly watch me work? It should be more relaxing for my cast then it will be for me and I don't think there will be much boredom for my cast if they know they're getting paid to do nothing if I'm busy setting up equipment lol.

Last edited:
You need to have confidence. If you don't I'd fake it.

Some people naturally have it. Some get it through knowledge and experience.

As your film making experience grows so too will your confidence.

I'm assuming you are directing?

I'd a tad confused that your say you'll be with your crew for 5-6 months which leads me to assume your feature has a decent budget. Are you self funding then? It's tough to raise production money without production experience, and your post hints strongly that you lack that experience.

Last edited:
I can just tell you about my own experience.

I had a lot of those same social fears when I got talked into directing last year. Prior to this, I worked mainly as a horror F/X artist, so I would be holed up in my studio most of the time and then just come out on set for a few days when needed, so I didn't get much practice at being social. The nature of my work tends to creep people out. (Yes, I'm the type that laughs at inappropriate times at the movies and roots for the villain.) People say that I have all the charm of a serial killer.

I knew the project was going to take over a year to shoot because of how we were doing it, and I'd been on projects in the past where the cast and crew couldn't stand being on set for 12 days, let alone 12 months. I also knew that many of us would be living together for a month on our primary location, and that could be a pleasant little stroll through Hell if we all didn't get along.

My approach was to try to create a very friendly environment and get the cast and crew used to being together prior to filming. I figured that having a mutual goal would help friendships develop, and my lack of social skills wouldn't be so much of a problem if the overall atmosphere was very positive for everyone.

The first thing I did when I started getting a crew together was tell everyone that it was my first time directing and that I was relying very heavily on their collective experience. I found that people really appreciated the idea that I would be letting them just do their jobs instead of trying to micro-manage everything. I was also careful to bring in very personable folks in the key crew positions, especially the UPM and the AD. Before we started casting, I spent as much time as I possibly could with various members of the crew in a social environment (lunch meetings with UPM, out for drinks with the editor, etc...) to build up an amicable relationship with people I knew I'd be working closely with for a long time.

During casting, I explained to actors that it was my first time in the director's chair and that while I had some idea of who the characters were because I wrote the script, I felt it was important for the cast to "find their characters" and then work with me on tweaking them. I made it a point to make myself available to every member of the cast during the three months prior to the start of shooting and even arranged for little social gatherings for the cast and crew. I found that the cast became very comfortable with the idea that they could approach me at any time with their questions and suggestions.

I also utilized Facebook and created a private group for the cast and crew to communicate on, which really helped get everyone excited and talking to one another and truly feeling like they are part of the whole process and not just their crew/cast title.

I arranged to shoot a couple small "B-roll" scenes a month or so before principle and invited everyone to come out for that. Many of the cast members enjoyed hanging out with the crew so much that they volunteered to come help out on days that their characters weren't needed on set.

During shooting, I made damned sure that there was good food and lots of it. The two people I had in charge of catering and craft services went above and beyond to make sure that the snack table was always stocked with a variety of munchies and during mealtimes that we only had pizza twice (both times being while we were on a location without cooking facilities.) Home-cooked meals really made a difference, and the cast and crew always enjoyed eating together.

I see a lot of directors and actors talk about how the people on projects become like a "family", but I never really experienced it until working on my current project. Every time I have to call in an actor for body-casting in my studio, I end up with a few more people from the project coming over to hang out as well. While we've been on hiatus from shooting this summer, I've worked (as an F/X person) on two other film sets courtesy of crew/cast members from my film referring me... and have seen a lot of very familiar faces on those sets as well.

And yes, I have found that my social skills have greatly improved just from being around everyone for so long. I still have the charm of a serial killer, but now people laugh at my morbid humor.

:welcome:

I will be the cinematographer, director of photography, director, writer, producer, sound mixer, and gaffer but I will have someone else operating the boom mic for me and the camera if necessary as well.

:no:

You're doing too much. You should hire a sound mixer and some PAs at least. Doing all of that stuff is going to be Hell.

Doing too many jobs on set is not only spreading yourself thin, but it's not good for the actors. Do you think they want to wait for you to set up the camera, lighting, and audio equipment. They'll get bored, and there's a possibility of laziness and actors abandoning the set. The best thing you could do for your cast is hiring crew.

Each day on set will be dedicated to just a few scenes for 6-7 hours a day with my cast which is why this project could take 5-8 months

Not if you're shooting the film almost all by yourself. That's a recipe for disaster.

I'd recommend getting a crew (especially sound people and PAs). Never make the actors wait around. Also, be the actors friend, not their boss. Establish that you're in charge, but that it's a team effort. Encourage them. Use "the sandwich technique", which is telling them something they did right, something they did wrong, then something they did right and what you want them to do. Have a plan. If an actor doesn't like the scene, tell them you will reshoot the scene later if there is enough time. Have caterers. You have to feed them. Don't make them do anything you wouldn't do. If they don't feel comfortable with something, don't make them do it. Don't yell or fight. Realize how much they are helping you and that your film would not be made without them. Be thankful. Don't waste time. Get in, shoot, get out. No time for fooling around. Don't create a tense workplace, everybody should be hardworking, but easy going. Don't go too late into the night. I've heard stories about actors having breakdowns and crew members not properly rigging gear and killing people.

Also, audio is very important. Don't ignore it.

Good luck! :cool:

But what are your opinions? Do you have tips when it comes to dealing with cast members for the first time? Any suggestions are much needed thanks!

If this is your first time directing, you're going to be busy doing your job, instead of needing to do everyone elses job. This is doubly so if you're not socially strong or you're not a natural or practiced leader. While you can do it, taking on so many roles it's not something I'd suggest to a first timer and is most likely to get you into sticky situations that you're probably not going to be able to fix.

You have to look at the motivation of your cast (and crew if you have any) of why they'd get involved with your project. It's usually to develop their show reel and/or network with someone who has a chance to further their career. If you're doing it all yourself, the chances of you getting everything right is slim at best. If you're unlikely to get it right, their show reel is for naught, which will increase the chances that they'll simply walk away from you and your production. You'll even have a less of a chance if you're not experienced in all those areas and you don't have developed leadership skills.

Some of the big advantages of having a crew is that you can rely upon their strengths instead of worrying about developing your weaknesses.

Since this is your first Directing outing, I'd suggest that you get a strong First AD(doubling as Second), a Producer (doubling as a Production Manager) and the best DOP (doubling as Camera Operator, Gaffer and AC) as you can afford (or beg, borrow and steal). You'll also want a great sound guy. You'll also need a very strong editor and get advice from your editor before and during production. With a team as small as this, you should be able to overcome most problems that arise instead of having to pull from your own limited knowledge and experience. Makeup, PA's, runners, grips, caterer are also important but the core team above is critical for your situation (at least in my opinion).

Also, when you're talking 5-8 months, I presume you're talking weekends only? Which leads you to shooting for 40 to 70 days? It's a very long period of time where you'll have a lot of people drop out. You'll need to know you can rely upon your leads to last throughout the entire time and not pick up other work (which is unrealistic) or have a plan of what you're going to do WHEN they drop out or become unavailable for extended periods of time.

Good luck. You're in for one hell of a ride.

PS. I'd hate to have to be responsible for both the cinematographer and the director of photography roles ;)
PPS. They're the same roles right? ;)

If you do everything by yourself except acting then you can control everything in the movie. But in the same time for you the work will get exchausting., trust me I know:) I am doing a feature now where I did everything except acting and specially the editing process and audio is really hard work.

But the problem is also that if you do not have a good crew, then you will spend time on dealing with the situation with the people and not with the movie itself and yes I have been in that situation as well.

The hardest thing is to direct and operate the camera in the same time, usually you will cut corners in either of the tasks.

The biggest nightmare for first time director is that people will walk over you and for instance the DOP will start to direct the movie and basically takes in charge of the project so having a bigger crew might not be so great that people think.

Would your shoot still take 5-6 months if you had a proper crew? There's a lot to be said for divvying the jobs up, and just focusing on your own one aspect 100% - letting the others do the same at their tasks.

Shoot faster, more efficiently - save money, save time - save stress.

Don't wanna end up like this, now do ya'? :)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NWYbXsTqv4g

I really loved this book "Directing Actors", highly recommended.

Also some of my actors are nervous because they've never acted :)
I'm open to any suggestions on how to make them feel more confident, I am going to send them that michael kane acting class video for starters

Back