Tips for aspiring director?

Hello, I'm 16 years old and live in Sweden. My dream is to become a director but I realize that's extremely hard and therefore I try not to have that high expectations. I will go to gymnasium for three years (Gymnasium is pretty much like the equivalent of highscool) and then I'm going to find a university.

I have no friends interested in movies and I have no experience in the profession. When I grow up I want to live in England. I'm trying to find courses which I can take however they're not too long and they're very expensive.

How do I get into the branch? I'd gladly try anything, filming, editing, writing scripts or doing sound effect work. I'm very open to work hard to get somewhere but I have no idea how. I want to write and create a shortfilm but it would have to be without any actor/actress. Just something to create and I think it would be good to do one or two of those courses so that I get a better feel for it.

Any tips?

If you want to be the best at anything, it's going to take hard work and a lot of hours.
You need to think beyond jobs and careers and the physical world. Connect with who you are my friend. Think about what makes you tick, and why you want to do this.

Think about your priorities in life. Don't do something you think you'll be able to get work in. Do something you LOVE. It doesn't matter how hard it is. If this is your passion, it doesn't matter how young you are.

You think Speilberg had a bunch of actors to work with at 16?

Knowledge is power

Study your ass off. Be a good person and work hard.

Learn as much as you can. Read books on the subject. Look up video tutorials. Write scripts. Watch movies and learn from them. Interpret them and break them down.

Go out and have life experiences. Great storytellers have an understanding of psychology and sociology. Writing about what you are already passionate about, or things that may have happened to you, are great. People will be able to feel the passion.

Don't write about things you have no idea about.

I'll say these two things again because in my opinion they're the most important.

Knowledge is power.
And...
Be a good person.

You can only receive what you put forth. In relationships, physics, life and work.

Gain experience any way you can. I say this last because it may be the most difficult for you to do at such a young age.
Don't let your age be an excuse though...EVER.

Keep moving, and your thoughts will manifest themselves into your reality. If you believe in yourself, and put in the work, you will be successful.

So many people say they want to be successful, they say they want to be great.
It doesn't just happen because you think it's what you love.

The best put the hours in. The best put the work in.

If you want it, you can do it.

buy books and start reading. i'm sure there are threads around here about books to help learn. also check out youtube videos and tutorials. vimeo has a video school or a film school, can't remember which it's called but there are a ton of how-to videos there as well.

then once you know enough that you can at least try to apply something, start filming and then evaluate your technique film again and improve

It's not your best option, but it's free. Google Film Riot on youtube and go through their videos.

Once you go through them, I'm sure you'll find other resources to lead you further into other study. They won't be your go to resource, but it'll help see if you're pointing in the right direction.

One thing about directing is (in my opinion) you'll need life experience to direct well.

Good luck. Don't let anyone dissuade you.

Do something. That's all.

You're not going to be an overnight success.

Pick up a camera, and film the flowers in your front year. Go and film a school event. Film a park. Test out different camera angles and shots to get a certain mood. Try to mimic shots from your favorite movies. If you can, ask your family if you can shoot a really short and simple short film. Just shoot something. One of the IndieTalkers here has a channel where he films Places of Nature. I'm not going to share his name or videos though. I posted another IndieTalker's video once, and he was not very happy with me :blush:

Thanks guys, forgive me for the thought but I thought this forum was abandoned. :P I'll check out the Youtube links and read as much as I can. Currently reading "story" by Robert McKee.

I'll take all the tips into account of course. Once again, thank you. :)

Thanks guys, forgive me for the thought but I thought this forum was abandoned. :P I'll check out the Youtube links and read as much as I can. Currently reading "story" by Robert McKee.

You're welcome. I'm willing to help and give advice any time :)

story is a great pick.
when you're done with that move on to "grammar of the film language" by daniel arijon and then directing actors by judith weston

Oh, I have another piece of advice for you.

Don't make excuses. Don't go on the internet and complain about how rough things are, and about how you can't make a film because [Insert stupid excuse here].

:)

Oh, I have another piece of advice for you.

Don't make excuses. Don't go on the internet and complain about how rough things are, and about how you can't make a film because [Insert stupid excuse here].

:)

Honestly, best advice so far imo. Things WILL go wrong. Just like in life things do not always occur as you expect them to.

Our crew just lost our makeup effects artist and our lead actor.
No biggie.
Things will always go wrong. The point is, don't get flustered. Don't make excuses.
Just find a solution. Don't complain, ask questions.
Complaining never got anyone, anywhere, or anything.

Hello, I'm 16 years old and live in Sweden. My dream is to become a director but I realize that's extremely hard and therefore I try not to have that high expectations. I will go to gymnasium for three years (Gymnasium is pretty much like the equivalent of highscool) and then I'm going to find a university.
You'll be around other students engaged in indoor & outdoor sports, acting class, choir, band, and all sorts of extra curricular activities.

Does gymnasium have a yearbook or school newspaper?
Get involved and start filming whatever the paper is going to publish.

I have no friends interested in movies and I have no experience in the profession.
Doesn't matter.

Quit looking for a film group to join.
Consider starting your own film club.

How do I get into the branch? I'd gladly try anything, filming, editing, writing scripts or doing sound effect work.
Excellent!
Then start doing all of that - all by yourself. And coerce a sibling or family member to participate. And a friend. And a significant other.

Any tips?
You need a camera. :lol:
What camera are you using? Camcorder? DSLR? Cell phone?

You need a camera. :lol:
What camera are you using? Camcorder? DSLR? Cell phone?

Honestly, I have no professional camera. However, I can use my iPhone 4s or my dads 1500 dollar camera. The equipment doesn't matter as much as the overall quality from what I've heard. That doesn't mean I'm not trying to gather good equipment, I just don't think it's as big of a priority because it's not particularly required.

I feel really uncomfortable with the idea of getting friends to help make a shortfilm or create a film club because I started the new gymnasium five days ago. I'm not that familiar with the people there and 7-8 hours of the day go to school work so there's little time to do anything after.

I still feel like taking the courses will be the best way of creating a shortfilm at this time. The courses themselves involves making a shortfilm and after I understand the concept better I might be able to try something on my own.

At first I saw the absense of actors/actresses and other crew as an obstacle but it's starting to develop into a challenge instead.

If I were to buy a camera however, which are the best out there? Or rather, which are the best out there that goes for about 500 pounds or less?

Honestly, I have no professional camera. However, I can use my iPhone 4s or my dads 1500 dollar camera. The equipment doesn't matter as much as the overall quality from what I've heard. That doesn't mean I'm not trying to gather good equipment, I just don't think it's as big of a priority because it's not particularly required.
My thoughts exactly. Much better for you to make five short
films with a iPhone than not make any movies until you get
a better camera. Learning how to gather and motivate actors
and crew is a very important skill to develop.

I feel really uncomfortable with the idea of getting friends to help make a shortfilm or create a film club because I started the new gymnasium five days ago. I'm not that familiar with the people there and 7-8 hours of the day go to school work so there's little time to do anything after.
An excellent reason to not getting friends to make a short film.
Someday you will overcome that. When you do, when you find
reasons to make a movie rather than reasons to NOT make a
movie you will be closer to your goal.

It's difficult and time consuming. Even as a hobby. Passion and
desire needs action in order to succeed.

I still feel like taking the courses will be the best way of creating a shortfilm at this time. The courses themselves involves making a shortfilm and after I understand the concept better I might be able to try something on my own.
We each find our own path. If you want to wait until you have
the time to take a course then that's best for you. When I was
16 I didn't want to wait. So I made a movie every weekend. I
was not uncomfortable with the idea of getting friends to help.
For me, learning by doing was better than taking a course. But
if you want to wait until you take a course then you should wait.

At first I saw the absense of actors/actresses and other crew as an obstacle but it's starting to develop into a challenge instead.
I love that attitude! Keep that up and you'll make your fist short
film in no time.

Use the camera you now have available. Your Dad's camera might
work just fine. Write a simple short story. When you feel comfortable
getting friends to help - ask them. Do this over and over and over
and you will learn the concept of making movies.

My best advice is to write a great script. I'd start with a short, not a feature.

If you have access to a laptop or computer then it won't cost you anything.

How do you write a good/great script? These resources will help hugely:

You need to get the format right. Shorts/screenplays should follow Hollywood format rules. I'll post a link to free format guides.
http://reelauthors.com/Resources.php

Use screenplay writing software. This one is excellent and free.
https://www.celtx.com/index.html

Carefully spell and grammar check your work

Read lots of professional scripts, not non-professional (ie amateur) ones. There's no point in trying to write a screenplay without knowing how the pros do it. I'll post a link.
http://writetoreel.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?8-Read-Scripts

Read all the articles here . They'll be invaluable.
http://reelauthors.com/

And spend lots of time here.
http://johnaugust.com/

A huge failing I see in most budget indie productions is a poor story and weak dialogue - that's all due to a poor script. So use the above resources to write a good/great script...

I'm a writer/director. Directing is great and many would say 'cool', but without a good script, you'll not be able to produce a good end product.

Good luck! :)

Last edited:
My thoughts exactly. Much better for you to make five short
films with a iPhone than not make any movies until you get
a better camera. Learning how to gather and motivate actors
and crew is a very important skill to develop.

An excellent reason to not getting friends to make a short film.
Someday you will overcome that. When you do, when you find
reasons to make a movie rather than reasons to NOT make a
movie you will be closer to your goal.

It's difficult and time consuming. Even as a hobby. Passion and
desire needs action in order to succeed.

We each find our own path. If you want to wait until you have
the time to take a course then that's best for you. When I was
16 I didn't want to wait. So I made a movie every weekend. I
was not uncomfortable with the idea of getting friends to help.
For me, learning by doing was better than taking a course. But
if you want to wait until you take a course then you should wait.

I love that attitude! Keep that up and you'll make your fist short
film in no time.

Use the camera you now have available. Your Dad's camera might
work just fine. Write a simple short story. When you feel comfortable
getting friends to help - ask them. Do this over and over and over
and you will learn the concept of making movies.

Thank you for the support, these responses make me feel more and more confident. :D Before the profession felt very hopeless but the tips have motivated me further. I shall make a shortfilm as soon as I can, even if it might not be the best work, haha.

By the way, really cool that you live in Hollywood. ;P Must be extremely expensive.

Back