Tips for a successful low budget film

aka: Things Directors should know; or Why I will research a Director heavily before I agree to work for them, for free.

A bit of backstory:

I have recently been 1st ACing on a deferred payment basis for a feature shooting locally. I did it as a favour to a friend of mine who is the DP. He came on because they're paying him for the use of his Red (after the original DP quit over issues with the Director).
Having generally only worked with relatively experienced people, or at least those who have a minimum film school education, I had never encountered a situation like I did on this set, and I feel like I need to write a memo to the greater indie film world to make sure this doesn't happen on sets where crew aren't getting paid.

Don't take advantage of your crew
Your crew are giving up their time for free for you. To help you make a film. Don't take advantage of them. Thank them at the end of every day. Deferred payment is still working for free. What are the chances the film is going to make money? Probably 0. And even if it makes some money, for a large crew to get paid anything near their normal daily rate... Well, you're going to have to sell a lot. So, don't take advantage.

Stick to a standard day
In some locations, a standard shoot day is 10 hours, in others it's 12. Pick one and stick to it. Don't go over. If you absolutely have to go over it should be because you were working so hard all day and you still have one or two shots left to shoot. It should never be: because we started 3 hours late, because the Director didn't know what the shot list was, because everyone was too busy chatting to actually shoot.

Don't have a forced call
A forced call is anything less than 12 hours between the wrap (and wrap is not the time we cut the last shot, it is the time we wrapped the gear and everyone left) and the next day's call time. Going over a standard 10 (or 12) hour day, and having a forced call is the quickest way to piss a crew working for free off. Sometimes it's unavoidable, but you better have a damn good reason. If crew were charging you their normal rate, you'd be getting hit for overtime and forced calls. And you'd be hit hard. I've heard of overtime days on a forced call being charged at around $350 per hour on paid sets. Just because we're working for free, doesn't mean we wouldn't normally charge you that. It also doesn't make us any happier when we have to do it without getting extra pay.

Shooting shouldn't start until all Pre-Production is done
This seems like a no-brainer, but you can't enter Production until Pre-Production is done. Make sure you've done location recces to all your locations with your Art Director, DP and Sound Recordist. Make sure you've storyboarded what you need to storyboard. Make sure you have a complete shotlist. You can't spend 2 hours at the start of every day discussing the shots for the day with the DP, or choosing the exact spot you'll be shooting within a location.

Call time is start work time
If call time is 0800, then we should be working at 0800. When I rock up at 0745, I expect to grab a coffee, have a quick chat about the day and build the camera. We should be rolling soon after. If a certain scene is going to take longer to light, or the Director needs to discuss things with the DP, or the art department needs more time to dress a certain set, their call time should be before everyone else's. I shouldn't rock up at 0900 and wait around until 1230 until there's actually anything to do.

Have a schedule and stick to it. Listen to your 1st AD
What good is a schedule if you're not going to stick to it? If your 1st AD is saying 'we've only got 2 hours here', you need to shoot whatever you need to shoot in 2 hours. You can't just say 'oh well we can't get it, let's bring everyone back another day'. It's easy to say when everyone is working for free, but on a real set, bringing everyone back for another day is thousands and thousands of dollars extra. You need to know what shots you need to get, and you need to communicate that with your DP. Yes, that means making compromises. It might mean covering the scene in 3 shots rather than 7. That's what a Director does.

Coverage doesn't mean every scene from every angle
Audiences aren't stupid. They don't need to see (for example) a car driving, a car parking, two people getting out of the car, walking to the door, opening the door, walking inside and sitting down. You can cut straight into the dialogue of the scene and the audience will work out that they got there somehow. Not only that, but your coverage for a scene should only be exactly what you need to tell the story. You should have a shotlist worked out prior and it should be as little shots as needed to tell the story. That doesn't necessarily mean you need every single angle of the scene. And if you do want specific angles for certain lines, then you don't need to take the whole scene from the beginning to end. I was recently on set and we were shooting a 3 minute scene. We had 27 shots. That's a new shot every 6ish seconds. Not just a cut, but a whole new shot. Not only that, but it wasn't a fight scene, it wasn't an action scene. It was a family in the park with friends and some dialogue. Are you really going to use all of those shots? If they are all necessary, then that's fine. But you need to know what you're going to use and what you aren't. Also, if it means that it's going to take you 2 whole days to shoot the 27 shots, it's probably time for you to cut it down.

In extreme temperatures, you need to call it a day
Crew aren't as emotionally invested in a film as the Director. You might stand in desert heat or 0 celsius cold to get certain shots if you have to. Crew working for free aren't as forgiving. If it's freezing cold and there's no heat around, nowhere to sit down and not even coffees on offer, you need to shoot it as fast as you can, or call it. That's not the time to be spending 20 minutes discussing irrelevant things.

If you're going to argue with an experienced crew member, you better know what you're talking about
If your experience of film making comes from out-dated books, then don't start talking to the highly experienced crew you've somehow convinced to work for free about the 'proper' way of making films. Don't talk to them as if they've never set foot on a set before, or you will lose all respect from them.

Rehearsals should be done beforehand
Part of your pre should have been rehearsals. And you should have rehearsed knowing the layout, and location that you want. Knowing how the scene is going to go down in your mind. On set, you should really just be blocking the actors and fine-tuning their performance. That way, you don't waste two to three hours at the start of the day rehearsing the actors. On this note as well, you need to know everything for the scene before we start shooting the scene. If that means you need to have a notebook with you with notes on each scene, then do it. But directing of the actors should come in the blocking, then perhaps a little tweak during different shots for positions, eyelines, slight expressions in CUs. If we've shot 4 shots, then there's no use changing an entire action or direction unless we shoot those 4 shots again.

Don't direct when the camera's rolling
I see this happen so many times on digital sets (and even film sets). If we're rolling, then you shouldn't be directing. So many times I see 'sound speed, mark it, frame' and then the Director starts telling the actosr what to do, directing movement etc. As an AC I tend to call out 'still rolling' when this happens as a reminder that we are rolling. Time when we're rolling is money, and if we're working on film, I'll often work out the cost per minute (ie on a 400ft 35mm roll, it's about $40/minute) and call that out. If we're rolling we're rolling, and you should only be calling 'action'. Direction should come before we start rolling.

That's it for now, if I think of more I'll add to it. I just couldn't believe the entire attitude of a certain Director, and I hope that other people planning on making a feature will take these tips on board, before you have a mutiny on your hands, or at the very least a complete disrespect for the Director.

Last edited:
Listen to your key HODs
There's a reason you brought experienced crew onto your film, and that reason is not so you could do their job for them. If your DP tells you that the shot is crap, then the shot's probably crap. If the Production Designer tells you that colour doesn't work, then that colour doesn't work. Accept it, compromise and come up with a solution. Spending half an hour arguing about why you're right, or why your way is the only way isn't helping anybody.

Don't blame anyone
At the end of the day, not matter who is doing what, who is more experienced than who, you're the guy at the top of the chain. If you've hired right, then your crew is probably more experienced than you, even if you have convinced them to work for free. So, you shouldn't be blaming them for something going wrong, things taking longer than necessary etc. You're the guy at the top of the chain, and you should be telling people what you want, and the 1st AD should be making sure things run on time. If they don't, or people aren't doing what you want, then don't blame everyone else. It's probably your fault. Even if it isn't, accept that it probably is and do something to fix it. Problems arise all the time on a film set. A good Director adapts and finds solutions, doesn't complain about them.

The set doesn't revolve around you
I've had a certain Director work so slowly that we've struggled to finish a scene per day. He'd get caught up in two hour arguments, trying to argue about why things had to be done specific ways, why we couldn't adjust a part of the scene slightly because it messes with 'the process', why we couldn't change the shots slightly or the locations slightly to make everything work and flow better because it didn't fit 'his vision'. So us, the camera crew, waited patiently while he'd argue with the 1st AD, or the Production Designer, or the Location Manager, or the Producer, or whoever would listen for up to an hour or more. Or he'd spend two hours rehearsing the scene with the actors, or an hour picking exactly where we were going to shoot. We were just sitting around waiting for him to finish all the while. Then finally, once he had finished doing whatever he'd been doing and told us where he wanted the camera and we set up for the shot. One time, makeup needed 5 minutes to touch up the actor and after 3, he started asking why we couldn't start rolling, what we were waiting for, and literally the words that came out of his mouth were 'why are we waiting, I can't stand waiting around for things to happen, why can't we just shoot?'. I laughed. I kept my mouth shut as I was the AC, and it wasn't my place to say anything (though that was also the first and last set I've ever argued with the Director as an AC - something I'm not proud of, but you can only take so much, you know?).
My point is that yes, sometimes there is a lot of waiting around for some people. The camera crew should never be waiting around. The camera crew should be the busiest people on set, and for good reason. Don't make people wait around for 2 and a half hours, then complain because you have to wait for 5 minutes to start shooting. Don't spend hours arguing about how a slight change or hiccup doesn't fit 'the vision'. And don't then complain because we have to wait 5 minutes to make the change you eventually agreed to, when you've made people wait for over an hour already.

I think it's a good memo. I agree with a lot of it. I disagree with some. I'm extremely interested in what happened in your last engagement that prompted you to write this memo. Please tell us. Every little bit helps.

Number one tip for a successful low budget film:

Capture Perfect Production Sound!!!!!!!

Do A Thorough, Professional
Audio Post!!!!!!!!!

Hey Alcove, what's it going to take for people to learn this. I just shot something and everything was budgeted for but sound. Why can't we get out brain to wrap around the fact that without good audio everything else is useless???? why why why??? What's the best way to tell someone, that without good audio, all the time you spend on set is pretty much worthless?

I don't know what the sound will be like yet, but I know it's going to be crap. More money will be spent on ADR if the producer wants it that way.

I'm extremely interested in what happened in your last engagement that prompted you to write this memo. Please tell us. Every little bit helps.

I wouldn't have enough time in the world or the memory to write down every thing. It was really the result of a terribly inexperienced Director who somehow managed to bring on relatively experienced crew. The issue was, however, that rather than respecting those who were more experienced than he, respecting their abilities and experience and working with them to get great results for the film, his attitude on set was that he was better than everyone, knew everything better than everyone, and that the set revolved around him. No respect or appreciation for the crew that were giving up their time for free, most of whom (myself included) normally charge industry day rates.. and in turn, the crew ended up giving him no respect. It was a hard set to work on. Plus, it was originally intended for a four week shoot, which ended up blowing right out to a 9 week shoot. I jumped off after four weeks because I'm jetting off to LA on Saturday - I feel for those who have had to stick around. If he was paying crew, then that would be hundreds of thousands of dollar to add an extra 5 weeks to shooting, but of course when you're not paying - who cares? Crew don't have lives or paying work, do they?
I don't mind diva Directors or Directors who have certain attitudes, but at the very least there needs to be a basic level of respect for your crew.

Number one tip for a successful low budget film:

Capture Perfect Production Sound!!!!!!!

Do A Thorough, Professional
Audio Post!!!!!!!!!
Most definitely. Spend the money on a good sound recordist, or at the very least good equipment. If you're not going to spend the money to hire lavs for a scene where we can't get audio any other way, don't then complain when you have to ADR the whole scene.

Last edited:
Spend the money on a good sound recordist, or at the very least good equipment. If you're not going to spend the money to hire lavs for a scene where we can't get audio any other way, don't then complain when you have to ADR the whole scene.

Your film will only look as good as it sounds as "Sound is half of the experience" of a film. The directors that most indie types seem to admire pay very close attention to sound. Quentin Tarrantino will re-light, re-block or even completely redo a scene to accommodate the sound team.

As I repeat over and over... a script is dialog, verbal communication between the characters of the film. If the audience cannot easily understand what is being said they won't give a damn how good the film looks. In fact, from a technical standpoint, the audience will forgive most visual problems as long as the audio is good. Poor audio pulls the audience out of the illusion you are trying to create. They don't want to have to work when seeing a film, they want to be immersed in it. Your ears are much harder to fool than your eyes.

A competent boom-op is critical to capturing solid production sound. By expending funds here you save substantially more in audio post. Production dialog clean-up and ADR will eat up a substantial portion of your audio post budget that can be spent more profitably elsewhere. ADR is almost always inferior to production sound, especially as the talent used in low/no/mini/micro budget projects are usually inexperienced with the process.

I do not know how to impress this upon filmmakers. Many, despite failing over and over again when it comes to audio, never seem to learn this lesson. A part of the problem may be that they hear the audio the way they want to hear it, and not as it actually is.

I think it may be a matter of some Directors not understanding audio, and particularly not bringing their sound recordists to location recce's. In this particular film, we shot at a funeral parlour right next to a loud, busy train station - most of the audio is unusable (from what the sound recrodist told me). We also shot two days in a large par full of families, kids, dogs, seagulls etc. Again, the audio is apparently unusable, but when the sound recordist told the Director that he won't be able to use the sound and will have to ADR the whole scene, it took quite a while before the Director actually understood why the audio couldn't be used ('yeah, but because of the boom and you don't hear anything else because of the way it works' were the Director's exact words).

Jax,

I've been in the reverse situation where we've hired relatively inexperienced film crew (mostly pop video and commercials) but with and experienced AD, director, producers and actors. They just did not want it listen to anyone with more experience and they did not obey the time call sheet. They were getting paid, too. In the end the producer decided to bill them for lost time, then they started to listen. Not one of them has gone on to another feature unlike the experienced crew.

I think you have some good pointers, and thanks for sharing them as I'm sure a lot of people will benefit.

I'm commenting on these two, because I think you're coming from a place that has little to do with actually directing versus being one of the many cogs of the working machine.

Rehearsals should be done beforehand
Part of your pre should have been rehearsals. And you should have rehearsed knowing the layout, and location that you want. Knowing how the scene is going to go down in your mind. On set, you should really just be blocking the actors and fine-tuning their performance. That way, you don't waste two to three hours at the start of the day rehearsing the actors. On this note as well, you need to know everything for the scene before we start shooting the scene. If that means you need to have a notebook with you with notes on each scene, then do it. But directing of the actors should come in the blocking, then perhaps a little tweak during different shots for positions, eyelines, slight expressions in CUs. If we've shot 4 shots, then there's no use changing an entire action or direction unless we shoot those 4 shots again.

This would be pretty true on a large production. It is not always possible (if ever at all) to do on a tiny production. Knowing blocking, location, so on and so forth with that sort of depth requires having access to the location months prior, and being able to go in and tweak to your desire.

That's called money.

Low Budget = No Money.

In addition to that, blocking an actual scene changes the approach to that scene. Rehearsal only goes so far, once you're actually there and dealing with actions, hitting marks, so on and so forth, eight out of ten you are going to lose your mind if you are not modular enough to adapt to this.

So, yeah, if there's a lot of money go for it. If there isn't, this can't possibly be a very good way to work. In this instance, I'd say if the crew is being impatient then they're on the wrong job.

Don't direct when the camera's rolling
I see this happen so many times on digital sets (and even film sets). If we're rolling, then you shouldn't be directing. So many times I see 'sound speed, mark it, frame' and then the Director starts telling the actosr what to do, directing movement etc. As an AC I tend to call out 'still rolling' when this happens as a reminder that we are rolling. Time when we're rolling is money, and if we're working on film, I'll often work out the cost per minute (ie on a 400ft 35mm roll, it's about $40/minute) and call that out. If we're rolling we're rolling, and you should only be calling 'action'. Direction should come before we start rolling.

Well, yeah, if you're working on film. But, that's not happening on a low budget picture in 2012. It's digital. I know for a fact that there are major directors that still "direct" while camera's rolling--film as well, and will have your head on a platter if you dare do something like this on their set.

It's their name and reputation on the line, not the AC's. They roll what they need to roll, and do what they need to do to get the performance that sells their vision.

AC's shouldn't be concerned about how much mag's being rolled, producers should be. Although I've AC'd and gotten pissed off about it before (digital as well), it still isn't the AC's place to passively step in on a Director while he's working. I know you don't mean it like that, just that the post came off that way.

As a Director, you are tasked with bringing out the best in everyone. If this is the way you work, then that's the way you work. Maybe you won't work often because you burn money rolling through mags but tell that to most Comedy directors working these days.

Restating, your tips are pretty straight (and thanks for not beating the sound thing into the ground... it's probably worse or as bad as someone constantly stating story is king... the cake is a lie), and I'd definitely suggest nano budgeteers to take a look at 'em.

Rehearsal only goes so far, once you're actually there and dealing with actions, hitting marks, so on and so forth, eight out of ten you are going to lose your mind if you are not modular enough to adapt to this.

So, yeah, if there's a lot of money go for it. If there isn't, this can't possibly be a very good way to work. In this instance, I'd say if the crew is being impatient then they're on the wrong job.

Whilst I agree, and realise that things change when you get on set etc. I don't think it is acceptable to call in a crew at 9am to sit around whilst you re-rehearse an entire scene for three hours when they're working for free. If that's the process you have then that's fine, but call crew in later, and know that's your process so you don't tell your crew it's going to be a four-week shoot when really it's actually going to be a nine week shoot.

I suppose the example on this set has been the fact that the Director actually rented out a warehouse for a month to rehearse the entire film (~$150k budget) and whilst I have no issue with rehearsals on set, I had a lot of the actors commenting to me on how the previous rehearsal period was a complete waste of time because the Director was changing things completely from the rehearsal, to the point where he was contradicting himself (ie, the actor would do something in rehearsal, he'd say no I don't like it do it this way and then on set he would say no I don't like it and ask the actor to do exactly what they initially did in the first rehearsals). I wasn't at the rehearsals at the warehouse so I don't know how true that is nor how often that happened, and if the Director hadn't had previous rehearsals, I would be more forgiving. But the fact that they'd spent time rehearsing the scenes and going through them, and then on set had to still spend 1/3rd of the day going through them, and then another 30-60 minutes figuring out what shots he wanted, every single day, to me is a waste of crew's time when they're working for free. Especially if you're going to make us wake up early and struggle through peak hour traffic, just to sit around until lunchtime before doing anything.

Perhaps it's because my background is on lower budget film sets (ie, working on film and obviously not nano-budgets), where you have to have rehearsals beforehand because you don't have the budget to add extra days, which means you don't have the time to spend three out of the 10 work hours rehearsing everything until it's perfect before even setting up the camera position. And then directing while rolling means we burn through much more stock than we have to which is never good.

Well, yeah, if you're working on film. But, that's not happening on a low budget picture in 2012. It's digital. I know for a fact that there are major directors that still "direct" while camera's rolling--film as well, and will have your head on a platter if you dare do something like this on their set.

It's their name and reputation on the line, not the AC's. They roll what they need to roll, and do what they need to do to get the performance that sells their vision.

AC's shouldn't be concerned about how much mag's being rolled, producers should be. Although I've AC'd and gotten pissed off about it before (digital as well), it still isn't the AC's place to passively step in on a Director while he's working. I know you don't mean it like that, just that the post came off that way.

Yes, I don't mean it like that at all, though it can be frustrating. And, I'm simply stating from the point of view of crew, rather than the Directorial process - I'm not a Director though I've worked with quite a few. If you want to direct when the camera's rolling, and we're not shooting on film then be my guest but you should be actually directing - the reason I put this point in is because the Director we were working with on this shoot wouldn't necessarily direct while we were rolling, but we'd get the camera rollign and then he'd ask the AD an irrelevant question, or he'd spend 5 minutes telling an actor exactly where his position is: 'a little more left, one step left, no too much back a bit, yep and to your right a bit, yeah more right, yeah and to your left liek half a step, and that's your position now take one step into it..' and then we have to take the entire 4 minutes of the scene.
Meanwhile we were churning through data - when you're shooting 4k raw on a Scarlet with low compression and only two 64gb SSDs, and the only hard drives you're willing to cover the cost of are USB 2.0, you need to either direct before we're rolling or realise that if you're going to do that you may have to wait a little while for a card to finish copying before we can get rolling again.

Last edited:
Okay I see where you're coming from now with those explainations. In those situations, yeah, I agree.

Three hours rehearsing a scene is ridiculous.

And USB 2.0 to push footage? I mean, it can work.. but, some people just really need to beef up their tech knowledge.

That's just sad. lol

jax_rox, I think your list is a great warning on how not to be a shitty director.

I actually agree with Kholi, regarding rehearsals, but it sounds to me like the two of you are almost talking about two different things. I don't think the kind of rehearsals Kholi is talking about sound even slightly similar to the way you describe this particularly shitty director you've recently worked with.

I actually really like rehearsing just before shooting. But three hours? WTF?!

Yeah, I didn't realize he meant like three hour rehearsals. I'm talking like the setup time and an additional ten for tweaking once set's hot.

LoL Three hours is outrageous.

Yeah, hence why the schedule blew out, the only day we actually compelted everything was scheduled was the one 16 hour day we did. Now, I've worked 14 and 16 hour days on film sets, very very rarely but it can happen if, for example, on a low budget short you only have one weekend t o shoot a 10-15 minute film. Usually you're also working at certain pace so that it gets to 14 hours and you don't even realise.
A 16 hour day that gets that way because you're taking hours rehearsing scenes isn't acceptable IMO, unless you're willing tp pay crew overtime.

And yeah, our data wrangler was not a fan either :P

Somewhat relates back to my point about the set not revolving around you - if you're going to spend 5 minutes at the start of each take before actually calling action, then don't get annoyed when we have to wait for a card to copy. And when the 1st AD tries to talk to you about it and say listen if you want to have the cards ready to go, then direct before the camera's rolling, don't then start arguing with him about how he doesn't understand 'the process' and how 'this is how they do it on all film sets' and how it's the 'data wranglers fault' and how he can 'show you the book that he read it in if you want'

Oh, yeah I should probably clear up, I have absolutely no issue at all with the standard rehearsal process on set - in fact I prefer when we have rehearslas because it gives me more time to get marks, and figure out the flow of the scene in terms of the focus pulling etc. But three hours before you even want to set the camera up is jsut a waste of my time :P

Back