Tiny reflexion box for lav mic?

Hi, all. :)
I'm looking to build a mic reflexion box, so that my mic doesn't pick up my computer hum (recording voice stuff in my room)... but, since I'm using a tiny, tiny lav mic, does anyone know if you can skip the box part, and just use an extremely small foam cube/pyramid, or something? Otherwise, can anyone think of a tiny household object that might block enough sound, and fit a lav inside?

Thanks!

Last edited:
These diy 'voice booths in a box' are nowhere near as effective as the real Reflexion Filter. You're better off treating your room than treating your microphone.

There's not much you can do for a lav, the point of a lav is that it is an omni and will pick up everything. If you want more off-axis rejection, get a more directional mic. Not really sure why you'd want one of these for a lav anyway, it'd be way too noticeable on a person and if you were doing voiceovers, I probably wouldn't be using a lav anyway..

Oh, I see.
Btw, it's mostly just the noise from my computer I'm trying to get around, not the bouncing sound. (I don't want to have to do noise-reduction on EVERY recording.) Btw, hmm, I thought most mic varieties had roughly the same recording mechanism. (?) For instance, aren't shotgun mics just omni mics sitting inside tubular chambers, which funnel the sound? (At least I remember reading that somewhere, but I have no idea how reliable it was.)

Not really sure why you'd want one of these for a lav anyway, it'd be way too noticeable on a person
I use a Rode PinMic, which is meant to be stealth (like a shirt button).

Regarding quality, I know that lav mics are used for TV (talk shows, for instance), so, surely they can get the job done. :)

Last edited:
For instance, aren't shotgun mics just omni mics sitting inside tubular chambers, which funnel the sound?

A shotgun mic is a hypercardioid or supercardioid with an interference tube. The interference tube induces phase cancellation which reduces sounds coming in from the sides.

I know that lav mics are used for TV (talk shows, for instance), so, surely they can get the job done. :)

Yes, they use top of the line lavs that are visibly placed in a strategic area. They are not recommended for VO use.

If you really want to place the lav on a stand of some kind and buy or build something like this:

portabooth.jpg

portable-sound-booth-229x300.jpg

3791150771_8960243a42_m.jpg

portable-vocal-booth-22.jpg

Hi, all. :)
I'm looking to build a mic reflexion box, so that my mic doesn't pick up my computer hum (recording voice stuff in my room)... but, since I'm using a tiny, tiny lav mic, does anyone know if you can skip the box part, and just use an extremely small foam cube/pyramid, or something? Otherwise, can anyone think of a tiny household object that might block enough sound, and fit a lav inside?

Thanks!

Really your best solution is to get further away from your computer. Try and record in a different room by running extension cables if possible.
Lavs are not the best choice for voice-over stuff really, but if you must use one then at least try and do some room treatment round where you are going to record.

build a box around your computer?
When I record non-critical stuff at home I use a dynamic cardiod that rejects the computer noise or a shotty. The only reasons I would ever use a lav is if the subject is being filmed or mobile and I can't chase them about with a boom for whatever reason. Lavs are in many ways a last resort.
And yes you are right, with the sole exception of ribbon mics, the main diaphragm in any mic is omnidirectional as they read sound pressure. Though with different mechanisms sound from the rear or sides can be rejected creating very different characteristics that cater for different applications.

Back