Time To Declare War on The "Shaky-Cam"

An article in Salon by critic Matt Zoller Seitz. It's a blistering attack on Blair-Witch-style camera movements as exemplified most recently by "Battle: Los Angeles."

All I can say is OUCH and amen.

http://www.salon.com/entertainment/...ies/film_salon/2011/03/15/battle_la_shaky_cam

Excerpts:

How to describe the aggressive dreadfulness of "Battle: Los Angeles," maybe the worst-directed Hollywood movie I've ever seen? Incompetent doesn't do the trick, because it implies an inability to master basic craft. That's not the case here. "Battle: Los Angeles" takes one of the more controversial cinematography fads of recent years -- the "shaky camera and shallow focus equals 'reality'" fad -- to noxious new levels of excess. The movie is the work of professionals who decided to make their film look bad on purpose.

[...]

To call this approach amateurish would libel amateurs. A quick check of YouTube will reveal many taped records of spectacular and terrifying events where the camcorder or flip phone is rock-steady, there's depth of field, everything is in focus, and the shot holds for 10 seconds, a minute, two minutes or longer -- characteristics that actually intensify the level of fear, awe and helplessness, because they let you imagine yourself into another physical space and see where objects and people are in relation to each other.

[...]

Simply put, this crap is transparently cynical and opportunistic and has become totally played-out since 1999's "The Blair Witch Project," arguably the hit that made home video panic-cam an official, approved technique in mainstream productions. But 12 years later, directors who keep treating it as an aesthetic security blanket -- especially at the big-budget level -- should be required to get a tattoo across their foreheads that reads "Hack." Get yourself a tripod. Make a shot list. Think about where you're putting the camera and why you're putting it there, and try to redirect the audience's attention by moving the camera or refocusing rather than cutting every three to five seconds. Stop covering action. Start directing again.

etc.

I refuse to watch a film with 'shaky' cam in it. Not just because of principle but because it annoys and frustrates me as a viewer. I don't watch a movie to be annoyed and frustrated, I watch it to be entertained.

Okay, I'll give you that and raise you the argument that hand held camera technique can be traced back to the silent era. My argument is that the hand held aesthetic became institutionalized with the French New Wave. There was a concerted effort to make 'hand-held' part of the language of filmmaking by this coterie of New Wavers.

Most definitely.

I just wanted to make a distinction between them creating something (for which the FNW, as much as I enjoy it is over-credited in certain ways) rather than finding obscure and interesting pieces from a variety of previous work and either employing or defying them with purpose. They deserve the credit they get for that.

I still maintain that at some level the style was born of practicality; a mentality that limitations be damned I'm making this film. Sort of like the expressionist era in Germany, where limited availability of electricity to power lights dictated painting shadows onto sets.

;)

"For me it was fine during "Blair Witch"-because the nature of the story, and other stories like that."

Oh, God no. I hate Blair Witch. It made me physically nauseous and I walked out (to go to the bathroom) and wasn't all that in a hurry to return.

I think we need to distinguish between "rough" and "incompetent."

Children of Men had some rough, but generally stable shots. I had no problem.

Same with some other films. I didn't even mind the Bourne camera work, although I didn't see it in an actual theater. The movements are multiplied by the largeness.

I love-hate shaky cam and pretty much every other kind of "camera in hands of a character" shot.
I love when it's used right, and I hate it when producers and studios go crazy over how well recieved cloverfield was and somehow manage to make some kind of unberable shaky cam crap.

I believe shakycam can be used well sometimes. It has a purpose, just like steadicam. But I agree with Cracker Funk, that usually the shakycam is overdone a lot. But it can create a nice effect SOMETIMES.

"STOP COVERING ACTION...START DIRECTING AGAIN."

I like this idea. :cool:

I've worked on about a dozen projects in the past year - only one of them had a director who insisted on the precise, absolute shots and lighting conditions that his film needed. Everything else has been much looser, usually with 2 cameras running in order to capture as much coverage as possible... and all of them using HH at some point.

I think a lot of it has to do with time & cost savings. You don't need to worry so much about precision lighting, and if Cam A doesn't get what you needed it'll probably be good enough on Cam B. We just finished a 3-day shoot for a 30 minute short film. In contrast, the afore-mentioned precision-director took 6 days to craft together the first 15 minutes of his film... I'll let the bean-counters decide which they'd prefer, I 'spose.

Fwiw, I think the HH was pretty effective in BSG. :)

Just saw Battle LA so I'll give some immediate thoughts (should preface this by saying I thought it was truly terrible):

Firstly, chilipie mentioned it but it should be stressed, the difference between handheld and shakycam is enormous. It wasn't until the dawn of the digital age that cameras started being small and compact enough to do these disorientating movements with and that started with The Blair Witch Project...

...where it made sense.

I won't argue about whether the Blair Witch Project is a good film or not but the idea that it was found footage was genuinely frightening and revolutionary. That found footage/shakycam genre has continued at a relative pace with films like Paranormal Activity, Cloverfield and The Last Exorcism.

Battle LA has no excuse for using shaky cam. Paul Greengrass uses shakycam in his action scenes, particularly in his Bourne films, to give the action sequences a kinetic momentum. It works because they are two men thumping each other or two cars chasing each other or two people running and hiding. Whatever. In those films the components of the sequence are there and the camera work simply serves to strengthen the reality. Saving Private Ryan did the same thing but willingly broke down the fourth wall as a means of giving emotional power to impersonal action.

Not so in Battle LA. The film is all over the place. There is little focus and there are very few set pieces that last less than an entire act. Clearly we aren't supposed to believe it's found footage (a la District 9) or that they want us to wonder whether it might really have happened like Blair Witch (I might have heard about the destruction of LA) so the aesthetic choice is made simply because the filmmakers assume that if people are practically having to move in order to watch the film then they'll be riveted by it. Even the slowest paced scenes in the film where shot with such a bizarre lack of sophistication that, by the end of the film, I had little idea what had happened.

To be honest the writing and acting were even worse than the camerawork though...

To be honest the writing and acting were even worse than the camerawork though...

Just saw it yesterday night and yeah, i have to agree with this ^ even though i usually like Eckhart. Meet Bill was a good one.

Anyway, someone mind explaining to me how that Star Trek Of Gods and Men thing came to be? I'm going to watch it soon but does anyone have more info about how Nichols and Koenig became involved in the project and how a fan made movie got made with original stars?

Did a quick google and here's what the wiki page said:

"Co-writer Jack Trevino explained how so many actors from the series had been willing to participate: "Trek actors have a special relationship with their fans... they regarded the project, not only as the ultimate thank you to Gene Roddenberry and the original stars of Trek, but as a thank you to [the fans] who supported the series over the last 40 years." Executive producer Douglas Conway had tried to assemble more of the original series cast, but when George Takei (Sulu) was not available, this led to the idea of including Ruck's character as captain.[7]"
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Star_Trek:_Of_Gods_and_Men

Personally, I'm betting that money was also involved. And one thing to remember is that at conventions, a LOT of these actors are just sitting at booths signing photos and are extremely approachable, so they probably didn't have to go through the whole agent/middle man thing.

ps: I recommend you imbibe some spirits slash get real high if you're actually going to try and watch the show. I cannot stress to you enough how painful and strange the show is, so please, let me know what you thought about it :P

ps: I recommend you imbibe some spirits slash get real high if you're actually going to try and watch the show. I cannot stress to you enough how painful and strange the show is, so please, let me know what you thought about it :P

Thanks for all the info and yeah, ill post here when i watch it. Perhaps ill do it tonight since im on way to getting inebriated.

I believe shakycam can be used well sometimes. It has a purpose, just like steadicam. But I agree with Cracker Funk, that usually the shakycam is overdone a lot. But it can create a nice effect SOMETIMES.

Shaky-cam is the reason I can't watch Lost. I saw the first episode and really felt like, "more of this shaky-cam crap? no thanks."

Camera work should serve the needs of the material. And when it calls too much attention to itself, it subtracts from the storytelling.

I tend to lock all of my shots down. My favorite accessory is a tripod. And why did people spend years developing the steadicam, only to have filmmakers pretend like it doesn't exist?

Nothing worse than a shaky shot of a still moment, such as a conversation, when we all know that the cheapest camera now comes with stabilizing technology. It just looks wrong. (For a primer on terrible simulation of current camera technology, see George Romero's "Diary of the Dead.") And in films like the discussed "Battle: LA," you can tell that they're keyframing in even more shakiness.

The writing on the Trek film hurts my head. Too bad -- its intentions are good, and I like the old-school styling of the effects work.

Certain great directors use massive camera movement to their advantage. Especially in the 70s. But, I still marvel at how magnificent films from the 30s were. Barely any camera movement at all. The actors and dialogue told the story to the max. That's the way I want to work.

I enjoyed the movie Snake Eyes. I remember the big stink that was made about the opening of that film. One shot for so many minutes. Watch that movie now and ask yourself, was it really worth it?

"But, I still marvel at how magnificent films from the 30s were. Barely any camera movement at all. "

It's hard, it takes a lot of planning to execute. I am with you on this one. I am using a glidecam for the very first time in my new film just because it's much more practical (and cheaper) for a shot following someone down the street than trying to do a continuous 30' or 40' dolly shot. If I had the budget/time for setup... I'd do the dolly shot. I may still bring along a shopping cart or some other method for a DIY type dolly shot just in case the glidecam is too bouncy for my taste. Someday I'll make a film where there is a shot that handheld is the best choice. I just haven't made that film yet.

It was a novelty for a minute to film things wrong, and call it a stylistic. I don't see why that isn't obvious to all.

shaky cam is the weakest of all tricks, and is only any good with synth eyes, and not even then, since you are just showing off what you're capable of rather than focusing on making it good.

@ussinners: For me, the opening 20 minutes was the only good thing about "Snake Eyes." DePalma usually knows what he's doing, camera-wise, but hasn't done a great film since "Carlito's Way." Also, re: 1930s films, those shots were locked down because of the restrictions of sound recording technology. 1920s silents were much more adventurous in terms of camera movement and placement because they didn't have to worry about mic placement or lugging around heavy audio gear. Actually, for me, the best thing about 1930s film is not framing or camera work, but the advances in lighting technology. See what Josef von Sternberg visually accomplished with lights in films like "Blonde Venus" or "Shanghai Express," or "The Devil Was a Woman," all with Marlene Dietrich. Even Madonna ripped off this iconic image from "Shanghai":

http://tinyurl.com/3vma9vn

@Nate North: "shaky cam is the weakest of all tricks" -- exactly my point! And it really can subtract from a film's tension and drama because it calls attention to the frame, whereas good, smooth camera moves serve to highlight what's within the frame.

I think that there is a time and a place for shaky camera and it certainly shouldn't be all the time and everywhere. I think it takes a certain amount of skill to know when it should be used and to what extent and people that don't have that skill should not use it. I myself don't use it unless i know it will benefit the scene as a whole and not be irritating.

Back