• Wondering which camera, gear, computer, or software to buy? Ask in our Gear Guide.

Three point lighting

When should you use three point lighting? Should you use it all the time in every shot and can it cause people to feel different emotions? Is using the key light and back light going to cause a good lighting of a scene. These are all of the questions I have been thinking about since I read a Wikipedia article on three point lighting and if anyone could answer it would be great.

It may not be "right" for every scene. If you wanted somebody silhouetted for example you probably wouldn't use a key light.

It's the starting point that you deviate from as needed/wanted. Executed correctly, it will always look "good", with the subject separated from the background, minimal/flattering shadows, etc....

I always start with 3-point on a setup, then if the director wants the subject to blend into the background more, I can lower the rim light, or balance the exposure between the key and background... if they want to color, or suggest a window, I can add a gel to that side. Putting the fill light on a dimmer allows me to go from comedy/flat lighting to noir and everywhere in between at the turn of a dial.

'Three point' just gives you a starting point for the positions of the lights relative to your subject. What impacts the feeling of the image most is the relative intensity of those lights, and removing one or more can simply be thought of as reducing the intensity of that light to 0. Try watching films with looks you like and watch how the difference in intensity between key, fill and edge lights changes the whole mood of the scenes.

Should you use it all the time in every shot and can it cause people to feel different emotions?

Everyone already stated that it is just a starting point. You can be infinitely creative with how and why you light people in certain ways.

As for the emotions, it will be the other things that will add to how you light a scene. The focal length, the camera angle, the music, the production design, the framing...

Not to say lighting a certain way doesn't evoke a certain emotional response but it works hand in hand with many other factors.

Back