Thoughts on collaborating

I just want to vent for a moment about group writing.

I'm working with a director on writing a short script. In the past, I've critiqued his writing, and I see this new project as a challenge -- an opportunity to collaborate. This director has great cinematic ideas, but they don't always come together logically in his writing. I'm hoping to be a filter to smooth out rough edges and bring ideas together into a coherent story.

What I'm finding is that I can't really sit in a room and write with another person. We can brainstorm together (we've had sessions with a couple other participants) but in a group situation nothing really gets locked down. Instead, we come up with various opening and closing ideas. The meat of the thing is up in the air until I write something.

To hammer out something logical on a keyboard, I have to be alone. I have to have the freedom to stare into space and find the right word. I have to ignore all the "what if's" of a brainstorm session and decide on a through line for the plot.

I've already written two drafts. My third will be drastically different -- I'll have to start almost from scratch to accomodate a new twist. It's frustrating to try to pull together hundreds of little ideas and moments, and I almost feel like I'm the only one who takes the script problems seriously. In a group situation, everyone just comes up with "cool" shots, where I actually want the finished piece to be about something.

Anyway, not looking for advice here. Just wanted to voice my frustrations to the ether.

I've done a lot of co-writing over the years and my experience is similar.

The actual wriiting part for me has to be done alone -- the Hollywood image of two people in a room with a typewriter has never been a reality for me -- although I do know of writing partners who work like that.

In many repsects it's fairly obvious why it doesn;t work for most people -- the person who is typing needs uninterupted thought and the person who isn't typing needs to stamp their ideas on the project, which they can only do by talking. (ergo - conflict)

Of course, one way round it is to despense with the laptop/typewriter and to so-write with a tape recorder.

This leaves the transcribing and tidying as a separate process.

However, my take on it is that it's just easier to see co-writing as a process done via e-mail.

I create a document -- send it to you -- you rewrite it and send it to me... etc. -- with the right person that can work.

If you look at the last few pages of the story development for the IT Movie, you will see Clive and I brainstorming for the group. He liked my initial idea and we asked each other questions, and answered questions, until I felt that I could 'go it alone'.

I have co-written with my husband, but it's a rather unique experience. Usually, it is prefaced by a great dinner out and a few drinks. What follows is hours of me sitting at the laptop, banging away as we improv dialogue. Even then, I wait a few days and rework the whole thing, over and over again, until it's where we want it. Our first collaboration went through 6 drafts- for a short.

I have yet to do any real co-writing. I always forsaw it as one person basically transcribing the recorded brainstorming sessions as clive mentioned.

I can't imagine trying to write as another person talked to me.

Poke

What I've found is that I'm quite passive in brainstorming sessions. Others have bold ideas that they're trying to get out, and I write 'em down. I don't usually come up with new content myself until I'm in the act of writing. Then there's that scary moment when I deliver what I've written and hope my changes go over well.

I've been listening to the Sam and Jim go to Hollywood podcast, and they have a sort of left brain / right brain working relationship. They talk about how when one writes, the other looks over his shoulder and takes notes, rather than commenting out loud.

Nice, but I'd probably want to strangle someone who looks over my shoulder constantly.

Brainstorming...

Mad Dog Mike said:
I just want to vent for a moment about group writing.

I'm working with a director on writing a short script. In the past, I've critiqued his writing, and I see this new project as a challenge -- an opportunity to collaborate. This director has great cinematic ideas, but they don't always come together logically in his writing. I'm hoping to be a filter to smooth out rough edges and bring ideas together into a coherent story.

What I'm finding is that I can't really sit in a room and write with another person. We can brainstorm together (we've had sessions with a couple other participants) but in a group situation nothing really gets locked down. Instead, we come up with various opening and closing ideas. The meat of the thing is up in the air until I write something.

To hammer out something logical on a keyboard, I have to be alone. I have to have the freedom to stare into space and find the right word. I have to ignore all the "what if's" of a brainstorm session and decide on a through line for the plot.

I've already written two drafts. My third will be drastically different -- I'll have to start almost from scratch to accomodate a new twist. It's frustrating to try to pull together hundreds of little ideas and moments, and I almost feel like I'm the only one who takes the script problems seriously. In a group situation, everyone just comes up with "cool" shots, where I actually want the finished piece to be about something.

Anyway, not looking for advice here. Just wanted to voice my frustrations to the ether.
I think you're actually on the right track...

These kinds of sessions are normally JUST THAT. For brainstorming. Keep throwing out ideas... NO MATTER HOW CRAPPY THEY ARE... Someone writes them all down. Don't worry about threading the needle through them at this point... Just get all the ideas for story beats and scenes down on paper.

After the session, you really need some kind of structure to follow... Once you know the structure, take each idea and on a 3X5 card, stick one idea card in a place on your structure grid... Keep moving ALL the cards or ideas around... Sticking them where they might be best according to what structure you're using.

When you're finished, you will most certainly have holes that need to be filled...

At this point, you can either thread the needle yourself or go back to another brainstorming session and explain what you have thus far... Maybe stick it all up on a bulletin board, table, or floor to see all the story beats and or scenes laid out...

Now start brainstorming for how you fill the holes... Instead of cool scene ideas, brainstorm how you go from one idea card to another by creating what goes in between to get there.

If everyone throws out lots of ideas for this and someone writes it all down, you can "hopefully" take all these ideas and figure out/decide which ones have merit... Which ones work... Which ones fill the holes.

Sorry... Didn't mean to give advice... LOL. Just trying to help.

Good luck with it!

filmy

Back