• READ BEFORE POSTING!
    • If posting a video, please post HERE, unless it is a video as part of an advertisement and then post it in this section.
    • If replying to threads please remember this is the Promotion area and the person posting may not be open to feedback.

watch Thought Provoking New Short Film

Oh for a short film like that one?

10 mins?

Depending on the locations, shooting a week at most.

Editing possibly a week or 2 at least.

Sound editorial about 2 weeks,

Mix Predubs 4 days,

Final mix 1 day.

1 day for final fixes.

But it all depends on how complex the film is.

Wow, it should take 6 weeks and I did it in less than 2? I thought it felt rather pressurised ha ha.

Thanks for the tip. However, when the budget is small and you only get an actor for 3 days etc, it's always tough on time.

I wouldn't attempt a feature in less than 2 weeks, although thinking about it ....

A common phrase in many things is "You'll spend 20% of your time on 80% of the project and the last 80% of your time on the last 20% of your project." This is just as true in film where you can bash together a good project in that initial 20% of the time it should take, but spending closer to the full 100% will give you the time to really get it "Right"... not just good. We did the film racing 100 hour gran prix and the difference between the edit we turned in and the edit I spent the next 3-4 weeks doing is really remarkable.

It gives you the time to really dial in the performances and also make sure every bit of the technical is spot on as well.

In post, it gives you the time to try more variations to tell the story better.

In pre-production even, you can really take the time to make the game plan solid and make sure everyone's on the same page.

Wow, it should take 6 weeks and I did it in less than 2? I thought it felt rather pressurised ha ha.

Thanks for the tip. However, when the budget is small and you only get an actor for 3 days etc, it's always tough on time.

I wouldn't attempt a feature in less than 2 weeks, although thinking about it ....

Yeah - I totally forgot pre-production.

They spent a whole year and a half growing grass and cornfields to be able to shoot the hobbiton scenes in Lord of the Rings. Hows that for pre-production?

This is really helpful knowledge. Thanks for all the advice. I spent several months writing the script, working on various drafts, not to mention 4 months of planning to make sure everything ran smoothly on the day.

'Bang Up Or Pay Back?' won 'Highly Commended', 3rd place for 'Best Soundtrack' and 3rd place for 'People's Vote' at 'The 3rd Hitter International Film Festival'.

'Bang Up Or Pay Back?' won 'Highly Commended', 3rd place for 'Best Soundtrack' and 3rd place for 'People's Vote' at 'The 3rd Hitter International Film Festival'.

Congrats! Well-deserved, I really enjoyed it. Thanks for the link to the DoP's blogpost, I'll have a read when I have a spare minute.

Thanks Chilipie

Yes, it's a good article by Mike Ritchie, detailing the pros and cons of the Canon 7D, which is primarily a stills camera. There's quite a bit happening at the moment with the choices of kit being used. Bang Up Or Pay Back? certainly benefitted from the 7D, especially in the prison shots.

Hitter was our first festival so to be shortlisted for three awards and win one was a major plus point. It's certainly wet the appetite for new projects.

Cheers

Dan

www.danwagstaffe.co.uk

Back