Thor was amazing!

Did you also happen to notice that Branagh used a tilted frame a number of times through the film? I was struck by that. I was also interested in what I would consider to be the fact that it works pretty darn well. I was thinking, gee, that's rather bold of him. But, it seems to work and to add a certain element of drama or an interesting aesthetic to the film. Good for you, Mr. Branagh.

I agree with an HBO series or something like that for Sandman-I saw (and was none too impressed) when they tried to fit "Watchmen" into a feature film-missed a lot of subtle of the book-an HBO series, maybe a season a book?

I thought the Watchmen, though a little heavier on the action, did a pretty good job, though the ultra-mega-geeky edition with the Tales From The Black Freighter inserted is much much better. While the theatrical cut did have more violence, it wasn't exactly what you'd call glorified violence, keeping in theme with the "hey, these people are fundamentally fucked up" themes of the book.

But, yeah, season per book for Sandman would be perfect. Hell, just to see "24 hours" or "the Sound of Her Wings" or "Ramadan" on screen would be wonderful.

Oh, and Tolkien was building a world, mythology and language and happened to write some adventure stories in it. Rowling was writing standard boarding school novels (more of a genre in the UK), but with magic in them. Not necessarily a fair comparison, no matter what fans think. Me, I like them both, though Harry Potter doesn't start getting good until the third book/movie, though it's worth watching the other first. I think Robert Jordan's first Wheel of Time book is equally clunky, but it DOES get you into the world.

Last edited:
I agree the 3D was lackluster in this film. It added nothing to the story, and I wish I'd opted for the 2D version. Especially since at the theater I went to, the left eye image was slightly out of focus, and the position was off as well.

By the time the credits rolled, looking at the screen without the glasses I could see the disparity between left eye & right eye images on the screen, there was a good 6-10" gap at the top of the screen.

Needless to say, while I tried to enjoy the movie, mostly it just gave me a headache.

I saw the film a few weeks ago. I thought it was ok but all the stuff on Earth was a bit pointless but I guess they needed him to go to Earth so that it would tie in with all the other Marvel films, didn't really enhance the plot though.

Music was good I always like Patrick Doyle's scores but I don't think his style worked 100% in Thor.

I really liked the sound design for the Iron man lookalike thing, that weird metallic sound when he shot flames out of his face was inspired.

the love story part sucked. They saw each other for five minutes and they're in "forever love land." When I saw Branagh directed it, I was thinking, "Man how could you do that? I like your movies. Do you think I'm 5?" But in a way, I was happy to see him directing.

POSSIBLE SPOILERS FOLLOW!

Saw this before it's release (my girlfriend is a writer for one of the major movie review sites, so I'm seeing everything in advance these days) and thought it was all right. True to the origin story, pretty much, although they did away with the "Odin making him human some of the time to understand humanity and humility" aspect - Thor was sent to Earth, but I don't know what lesson he was supposed to learn from it...he didn't seem to get any lessons in anything, died, and then was reborn when M'jolnir jumped into his hand. All you learn there is, "I'm a god and don't have to worry about dying, ever - whoo-hooo!" It felt flat, to me. Pretty - nice work on depicting Asgard and all that - but, eh.

Two films I think worth checking out: Bridesmaids (which I think might replace Thor as number one this coming weekend - it's going to have much stronger word-of-mouth than Thor) and a smaller film called "Hesher" - really interesting characters and story.

gelder

Last edited:
I saw it yesterday in 3D and there were bits that looked really cool but it didn't cover the fact that the story was pretty dumb.

Hey TotalComposure I really liked Patrick Doyle's score too. I first noticed him on Nanny McPhee and really like what he's done with Harry Potter. I thought he brought some much needed feeling to THOR.

I think Thor is along with many movies that are just ascetically pleasing, it just looks really great! Story wise, cool as well except for the love thing and a huge chunk of the going to Earth thing - as others have obviously pointed out.
That being said, I never really liked X-Men as a kid either but freaking love the movies.

Back