Thinking about turning down studio distribution deal...

I recently finished my first film. A horror film entitled The Perfect House. We crowd funded the project and have gotten pretty lucky with people we've met along the way.

The success of the film and a little luck we've made connections in Hollywood that have us in direct contact with the decision makers of studios like Lionsgate and Universal. If we sell our movie we are most likely looking at a deal of 1-2 million. TOPS.

Which on the surface sounds great, but after all the people along the way get their taste there's not much left and more than likely no more coming no matter how good the film does.

I had planned on the self distribution route before we ever had the contacts so I am definitely not afraid of it. In fact I believe in it more than ever in light of Kevin Smith's speech at Sundance and Open letter at www.theredstatements.com stating his intentions with his new film.

I am thinking of spurning the distributors in favor of a planned VOD release date. Say October 1st and we spend the next 8 months doing screenings and independent film seminars/Q&A promoting the release date. Before we ever shot the film we received a ton of free press on many of the popular horror sites. With a finished project to show it should be even easier to get them on board for promoting our release.

Kevin Smith says he's determined to prove you can market with nothing more than social media, easy to say when you already used the system to create the fan base. I say it can be done by a total unknown making it real for everyone.

My question is this does anyone agree with me? And are you willing to support the cause?

My understanding is that Kris has since lost all of his friends from the movie. This thread leading into his entire YouTube documenting their abysmal tour ending with the above video is truly sad and depressing. People on this board tried, really tried to reach him and try to stop this crash from happening.

I'm not gloating or rooting for anyone's failure, no matter how arrogant and idiotic they act. I do view this as a cautionary tale for rampant, out of control ego.

The First Time Feature Filmmaker Syndrome is very common. Avoid it if you can, kids.

http://www.horroryearbook.com/community/hyb_hall_of_fame/kris_hulbert_the_perfect_house-t5645.0.html

This has some of the process for getting the funding for the tour as well, so in losing the RV, he also lost his house and most/all of his belongings.

I notice in the video above from SB though that the last regrets were about the RV and the Journey rather than the film... which I strangely respect. Like most things in life, the most rewarding ones come with the most risk of failure... had he succeeded, this would have been immensely rewarding.

My journey, however has been about figuring out how to mitigate the risk in filmmaking, I wouldn't have taken the risk and have a bit of envy for someone who can do that.

I notice in the video above from SB though that the last regrets were about the RV and the Journey rather than the film... which I strangely respect.
This is what I feel bad about. When I first started watching I thought;
"What a little baby." Then I realized he wasn't getting emotional about
the failure of the movie, but the loss of his home and the failure of his
journey. That's quite sad and tears are understandable.

Had he been focused on the journey and learning and growing as a
person and filmmaker even if the film had failed he would be a success.
As we can all see from this thread he was focused on fighting and putting
down anyone who did fully fall into line with his plan for the film. No
matter what, you can always grow and learn. Even if you choose not to
follow advice if you are open you will learn and grow.

Frankly, I'm pleased (and ready to gloat) that his film failed. I don't know
him and I don't like him, but I'm sad he lost so much personally in the
process.

Hubris and ego are indeed the right words. The complete inability to look at your own work and correctly value it (not perfectly, but in the right zip code).

Edit:
He had at best (as any sane person looking at it would have recognized) a B- grade straight to DVD horror film. If somebody offered him $100,000 for the rights he should have pulled a hamstring trying to get over there to sign the contract. He couldn't see that and it was his undoing.

Last edited:
As was stated, he was warned many times. Sometimes the least expensive ways of learning is through the mistakes of others. I know I made many expensive mistakes over many years. If your going to make them, make them when your young so you have plenty of time to recover from them. While I will be adamant about some things because of lessons I have learned, I realize how little I know.

I was trying to read the whole damn thread to find out what it really is about and but I don't think that's going to happen.

I also just realized that this is the guy that threatened sonnyboo

I don't know anything about this guy. Looks like he's pissed a lot of people off. I feel bad he lost his home. Sometimes I feel we're all in the same boat, just living with different degrees of insanity.

cheers

Is this that guy who went on a tour throughout the US with his movie and mainly went to colleges and videotaped comments of people who had just seen the movie?

He made a lot of people mad.

As much as everyone, myself included, said that was a bad idea, I wish it had of worked. A success for in a new avenue opens potential for others to succeed.

Sad story for sure.

And yeah, ROC, that's him.

Yeah I just re-read our whole hoo-ha on the other thread where he got into it with Sonny and we stood up for Sonny.

That was an interesting read.

It actually makes me grateful for what I have and what little I've accomplished..

May none of us on here suffer the same fate.

Too bad. Always sucks when the stakes are high and the gamble doesn't pay off. It was a bold and daring move that, perhaps with a different movie (teen comedy?) and a different filmmaker (less prick-ly, more modest), would have worked.

I know he has nowhere near the cache of Kevin Smith, but it kinda seems like what KS did with Red State. Or not. Dunno.

But yeah, if someone rapped on my door with a $100,000 contract I would have signed in my own blood and done a jig if they asked.

thats-the-way-the-cookie-crumbles.jpg

* yes, I can do a jig. Just ask. :rolleyes:

I know he has nowhere near the cache of Kevin Smith, but it kinda seems like what KS did with Red State. Or not. Dunno.

That cache of Kevin Smith's is nearly 20 years of exposure with the might of the Weinstein's behind you promoting your fat ass with Disney's money in the 1990's.

As much as Kevin Smith once resembled the slacker generation getting lucky, now he is a Hollywood B or C-lister with major studio actors as friends. Not something everyone struggling with Indie film can relate to anymore. Kevin Smith going out without studio support is nothing like a complete unknown with even a great film attempting the same thing.

As the other links show, and usually in the comments of most of the reviews, co-director Kris Hulbert tended to react poorly to any form of adversity or criticism. That simply doesn't bode well in the world of filmmaking at any level. Accepting that some people will like your movie and others may hate it is part of growing up, having some degree of self confidence, and perhaps just maturity.

Kevin Smith going out without studio support is nothing like a complete unknown with even a great film attempting the same thing.

:yes: Agreed. But maybe that's what was going on in his head? Screw the man! I'm takin' it to the streets! My way or the highway!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2rxWPEdYCnI

Back