Thinking about the GL2? Buy the Optura xi!!!

As some of you may or may not know, I've been saving up for the DVX100 (about $3,200 at best)...Well, after saving up $2,300, I decided to just buy a cheaper camera and save the rest of my funds or use them for other equipment.

I thought I would buy the Canon GL2 instead, thinking, for some reason that it was $1,500 or so. Well, it costs $2,100 or so...

...I went to an electronics store (Fry's) with the intention of buying the GL2. This salesman was helping me out and I, by chance, asked him about the camera sitting right next to the GL2.

It was the Canon Optura xi. I learned that it has ALL of the same features as the GL2 (manual everything, 16:9, etc.), a bigger lcd screen, smaller body, and was cheaper!!!

...it also has equal (or better) image quality. It's just as sharp for sure, EXACT color representation (it doesn't have 3ccds, but still has a better end result because of..some chip or something), superb low light performance...the list goes on.

It's better because it's newer apparently. It's cheaper because...I don't know why...maybe the same reason?

Needless to say I bought it for $1,300, and will recieve a $200 rebate (this rebate is from Canon and lasts 'til Sept., I think...it's at every store).

...so, the point is...despite the fact that popular thought is "GL2 = best value" the less popular (and cheaper by $1,000) Optura xi is actually a much better choice.

The only thing that the GL2 MIGHT exceed the Optura xi in is audio, but they're both still pretty close, and you can attach mics, etc.

Heed my words!

No filters...nothing...I didn't even have the lense hood on when I shot that stuff.

My computer pixelated the pictures, so that's why they're small...I'm working on getting a screenshot that is as sharp as the video, so y'all can see what I see on the TV screen. The pictures already up are just to show the colors. brilliant ay?

sonnyboo said:
Having shot on a variety of cameras (including most of the Canon Optura line from their inception) - 3 CCD ship cameras are NOT overrated.

I don't think the actual CAMERAS are overrated at all, but the idea that 3ccds always means better picture IS overrated.

You may still disagree, but I had to make that clear what I meant.

I stay away from Canon altogether after one bad incident last summer, i had spent a month shooting a film pretty much every day and then the Canon XM1 I was using decided that it couldnt read the tapes anymore. I cleaned the heads and fiddled with it for days. All I got was ''Please remove cassette'' every time i put a tape in (including the ones i had used to shoot the movie).
Canon werent very helpful and said that it would cost me £120 to repair and 6-8 weeks before I would see the camera again.
I looked on the internet and there were literally hundreds of similar complaints about Canon camcorders suddenly deciding to give up reading tapes.
It was almost like a scam, like the one with certain Epson printers that are set to stop working and need a £100 repair when their inkpad is half-full. Really, someone takes a sponge out thats covered in ink and then puts a new one in, and they charge you £100, and then expect you to pay it again in another six months.
Luckily for me I had borrowed the camera from an extremely rich person who didnt really care.

But the fact still remains that i have a grudge against Canon for that so i stick with SONY and Panasonic.

Back