• Wondering which camera, gear, computer, or software to buy? Ask in our Gear Guide.

theatrical mix question

from what I understand about mixing for a theatre, the most basic industry standard mix has Left, Right, and Center (for dialogue).

but what if there's no sound design or effects or folly or music? Just a very quiet scene recorded with one mic (mono) and all the dialogue has the atmosphere built in. Is it weird to have certain scenes or even an entire film with a Mono mix? Or even if that scene was recorded Stereo you'd still have the problem of having to put everything in the center speaker, right?

Also that makes me wonder:
How are documentary films mixed? Seems to me they would almost always have only one audio track in the timeline.

Every film is going to be different.

As for a scene with
no sound design or effects or folly or music?
I don't think I've ever done a scene that does not at least have some Foley (usually in the center) and some ambient background. Ambient backgrounds can be incredibly subtle; you may not consciously be aware of it, but it's almost always there.

BTW, what the hell is folly? Surely you mean Foley - which is always capitalized.

How are documentary films mixed? Seems to me they would almost always have only one audio track in the timeline.

A very different kettle of fish. Yes, quite a bit of a documentary soundtrack will be mono, but you'd be amazed at how much audio post is done even on documentaries.

from what I understand about mixing for a theatre, the most basic industry standard mix has Left, Right, and Center (for dialogue).

No, the most basic industry standard is 5.1 but many/most commercial theatrical features are done in 7.1 and for the bigger budget features Dolby Atmos is (or is becoming) the standard. A 3 channel LCR mix is not standard for cinemas and is very rarely used, in fact, I don't personally know of any examples of a 3 channel theatrical mix. The only reason I've mentioned LCR mixes previously in other threads is because it's the minimum technical requirement for creating a DCP and the reason it's the minimum technical requirement is because two channel stereo does not work in a cinema (here's why). Any reputable distributor will want a minimum 5.1 mix though.

but what if there's no sound design or effects or folly or music? Just a very quiet scene recorded with one mic (mono) and all the dialogue has the atmosphere built in.

As Alcove basically said, in practise there is always sound design; effects, Foley and/or music! In a commercial product, the atmosphere recorded by the mic during shooting all has to be removed and recreated by the audio post team. This might just mean editing the atmosphere out of the production sound, placing it on a different track, diverging it across various other channels and adding some appropriate reverb or other effect, or it might mean sourcing an ambience from a sound effects library (in the case of micro budget projects), it might mean designing and building a custom atmos from individual elements or it might be some combination of the two. All main TV broadcasters and film distributors require an M&E mix, which is essentially all the atmos, music, sound effects, in fact everything that's in the full mix except for the dialogue. This means of course that the dialogue has to be separated from all the other sounds in the production recordings. This is why, or one of the main reasons why, you always want to record production dialogue as cleanly as possible, ie., with no extraneous sounds/atmos. If you can't strip out the extraneous sound from the dialogue in audio post, the only option is an alt take without that sound or ADR.

Is it weird to have certain scenes or even an entire film with a Mono mix?

An entire film would be very weird in mono and is not possible on DCP anyway, as I've mentioned elsewhere. However, it's not unheard of to have certain scenes in mono (or at least very close to mono). The contrast between mono and full surround can and has been used very effectively as a creative tool. A very sophisticated example is in Saving Private Ryan; the opening scene of the film where the old Tom Hanks character is visiting the graves, is almost entirely in mono. This scene cuts to the start of the Omaha Beach scene, which along with almost the entire rest of the film is essentially a flashback. On this cut the sound suddenly jumps to a full surround mix. Conventionally, one would tend to do the opposite, maybe use mono for the flashback and full surround for real time, because mono would appear to an audience as more surreal when juxtaposed with the much more realistic sound which can be achieved with surround. Spielberg/Gary Rydstrom turned this idea on it's head though, creating the feeling that the flashback is more real and vivid than the "present day" cemetery scene and adds power and importance to the flashback, clever stuff!

No, most docos for the major TV broadcasters and for theatrical release are done in 5.1, although they may sometimes contain sections of archive footage which are left in mono for artistic reasons or time reasons. Exactly how the docos are done depends on the delivery requirements of the broadcaster, some for example want only the dialogue and VO in the centre channel (no Foley, Music or Effects and no dialogue anywhere else except the centre), some want the dialogue diverged across all 3 front speakers and others have different requirements again. The usually quick turn around, small budgets and doco practicalities dictate a different workflow to features. For example, ADR is rarely if ever an option for docos, so heavier use of sophisticated noise reduction is pretty much always required, all SFX will come from a sound library, including any Foley, as there is rarely time or budget for anything bespoke. The music is also usually from a library but occasionally some doco makers will use a low budget composer, time permitting.

G

Last edited:
Thanks. There is a lot of information here about the reasons why the mix shouldn't be mono or stereo for theaters, and the standard practices for professional films, which is great and I'm sure will help a lot of people reading this, but I think I need to be more specific for my own purposes..

I need to do an LCR mix for DCP since it will most likely be premiering at a festival with a theatre, but I'll assume it will only eventually be released online with no theatrical distribution. For some restrictive budgetary reasons, and for some artistic reasons, my audio timeline is very simple.

Example scene 1: Two actors talking at night in a wide shot that never cuts, single boom recording in mono capturing their dialogue on a single audio track (because of dialogue overlap). The only addition I made in post was to add a stereo track of constant crickets.

Example scene 2: Cut to the same actors inside a room, similar shot, now there's no crickets, and no added room tone or anything besides that mono dialogue track and the built in atmosphere that the mic picks up. BUT now there's a very quiet song playing on a record player in the room which I downgraded to mono and added reverb to.

As sound guys you're probably thinking this sounds terrible, but lets say you take my word for it that it sounds passable to the general audience. What do you think is the best way to mix these scenes?

Thanks in advance

Last edited:
The problem here is that you don't think like a sound guy.

Two actors talking at night in a wide shot that never cuts, single boom recording in mono capturing their dialogue on a single audio track (because of dialogue overlap). The only addition I made in post was to add a stereo track of constant crickets.

What else is occurring in the vicinity of the scene? What other information can you give the audience? Are they near roads? Are they way out in the middle of nowhere? What is the scene in relation to the rest of the story/plot? Do you want to build tension? Depending upon the answers I can think of many more sounds that can be added. And it doesn't have to be "in your face;" it can be very subtle, mixed in with the crickets but in various positions on the sound field (stereo or surround) to provide all sorts of information to the audience.

Cut to the same actors inside a room, similar shot, now there's no crickets, and no added room tone or anything besides that mono dialogue track and the built in atmosphere that the mic picks up. BUT now there's a very quiet song playing on a record player in the room which I downgraded to mono and added reverb to.

As APE mentioned,

the dialogue has to be separated from all the other sounds in the production recordings. This is why, or one of the main reasons why, you always want to record production dialogue as cleanly as possible, ie., with no extraneous sounds/atmos

Your music track (source/diegetic music) should definitely be in stereo.

What else is going on around the characters? Where is the room? In the middle of nowhere? In the middle of a city? Is it a house? An apartment building? What are the neighbors doing? Again, lots of rich sonic detail will provide all sorts of information to the audience.

Haha, yes I understand that there probably SHOULD be other sounds added, but for the sake of argument I'm saying what if I literally could not add more sounds. How would those scenes be mixed? If there is only a dialogue track and a stereo crickets track. Does the dialogue track only go in the center, or partly in the L/R channels as well?

This isn't a "how can I make my scene better" question, more of a "how can I do the best with what I have" sort of thing.

Also, are you sure you would mix your source/diegetic music in stereo? To me it seems like mono is the way to go because it's only coming from one location within the frame of the scene, the audience and characters are not standing in between speakers or wearing headphones...

Edit: unless you're saying the source music should be stereo, then panned slightly to the location of the source.. that makes sense to me

Last edited:
For some restrictive budgetary reasons, and for some artistic reasons, my audio timeline is very simple.

What are those artistic reasons?

As sound guys you're probably thinking this sounds terrible, but lets say you take my word for it that it sounds passable to the general audience.

With all due respect, why would I take your word for it when I've been doing sound as a speciality professionally for 20 years and what you are saying goes against everything I've read on the subject (which is a lot!), everything I've learned (which is also quite a lot) and everything I've experienced (which is more than a fair bit), from professional commercial filmmakers, sound professionals who have been in the business longer than me and not to mention all the commercial films I've seen?

What you have described certainly would not be passable to a general audience, with maybe a few very rare exceptions, so rare in fact that I can't think of any examples. So I'm sorry but not only can't I take your word for it but what you have described appears so ridiculous that it piques my interested as to how you could come to believe it?! Of course, all this depends on what you mean by "passable". Do you mean that a general audience can hear and understand the dialogue or do you mean that a general audience would actually be engaged by and interested in the story you are trying to tell?

Also, are you sure you would mix your source/diegetic music in stereo? To me it seems like mono is the way to go because it's only coming from one location within the frame of the scene, the audience and characters are not standing in between speakers or wearing headphones...

You are thinking like a photographer, NOT like a filmmaker!! What is "within the frame of the scene" is (or should be!), only a part of the story. As Alcove essentially asked, what is happening beyond the frame of your scene, where is the room where your characters are in?

We start hearing before we are born and we don't stop until we are dead. All the aural information received by the ear is fed into the brain and used to construct our perception of the location we are in. There is far too much aural, visual and sensory information for our brain to process in a way which allows us to be consciously aware of it all. So most of what we hear we are only aware of subconsciously or indirectly as reflected by the simplified perception of the world we experience. This could lead the photographer to assume when making a film that we can simply ignore all the sound which we would not be consciously aware of (if the scene were real) but this is a gross misunderstanding of both hearing and of perception in general. What we are hearing subconsciously forms an integral and important part of our general perception and therefore any omissions or small changes, any sounds which are unusual, out of context or unexpected will affect our perception and will cause us to question our perception to find a rational explanation. If there is no believable explanation (within our story world) then the rational explanation is that we are not experiencing any sort of reality but are just watching a film! The audience is instantly detached and disengaged from our story, even though they probably don't consciously know why. Because lo/no/micro budget filmmakers don't understand all the implications of the above or have the knowledge or equipment to implement and because they don't have the budget to employ a good experienced sound designer who does, the result is virtually always to some greater or lesser degree un-involving and un-engaging. This is why audiences in general find lo/no budget indie films slow, boring and uninteresting, and this is why it's so impossibly difficult to make a commercially successful lo/no budget film. Because not only do you have to actually make an involving and engaging film but you've also got to overcome the predjustice that lo/no budget indie films are always boring. It does not matter one iota how good your camera, cinematography or script is, if you don't know how and can't involve and engage the audience in your story, then the best you can ever hope to achieve is some praise and respect from other photographers!!

All this might appear to be esoteric nonsense but let me put it into context by using your own example, which demonstrates perfectly that you are thinking about sound in overly simplistic terms, purely in terms of your conscious perception of sound rather than in terms of what you are actually hearing and how that affects your overall perception. To simplify the argument, let's say the diagetic music in your scene is from a mono sound source, what would you be actually hearing (as opposed to perceiving)? You would be hearing a certain, relatively small, amount of the actual direct sound from the speaker but the majority of what you hear would actually be the reflections of that sound from all the walls, ceiling, floor and all the other reflective surfaces of the room. The majority of the music you hear would therefore be coming from all around you! This is quite different to your perception though, where all you would consciously hear is the direct sound from the sound system. This mass of reflected sound is not discarded by your brain though, it's used to create the perception of the environment. This has two important consequences for the filmmaker:

1. These masses of reflections are ALWAYS present in the real world, your brain knows this (even if you don't consciously), so if these reflections are not present in your sound mix the only rational conclusion your brain will arrive at is that this scene cannot be ANY version of reality, you've disengaged your audience! and

2. The human brain is much more sophisticated than just sound reflections being present or not present. Blindfold someone and take them into a room, even a virtually silent room, and they will be able to tell you what sort of room it is; a cathedral, a toilet, a sitting room, a basement, etc. They probably won't be able to describe how they know what sort of room they are in, they'll just feel it and know. With a bit more time and concentration they might even be able to tell you more detail about the room, rough dimensions, construction materials and other details. The brain gets all this information from subconscious processes which analyse and interpret a range of time and frequency properties both between individual reflections and between the original sound source. The brain doesn't just discard all this analysis and data once we take off the blindfold, it is integrated into our overall perception which now includes our vision. So for the filmmaker, just adding any old reflections won't do, because if you add a reverb with the reflection characteristics of a toilet, to a scene set in a sitting room, you are setting up a conflict between the visual and aural data and the audiences' brains cannot create a viable perception. Without a viable perception, your film has now become at best surreal or abstract but more likely just un-involving and boring, a long way in my book from "passable"!

I've just dealt in this example with one sound source in an environment but of course there is never just one sound source in any real environment. Our sitting room is in an apartment or house, that house is situated in some type of city or rural location, all of which have their own range of sounds, all of which our brains hear, processes and builds into our final perception, even if they are too quiet for us to be consciously aware of them. Take those sounds away though and suddenly we are effectively trying to create a cinematic experience which our audience cannot relate to! Which brings us back to un-involving and boring.

If you've understood the principles I'm trying to explain, you'll realise that they don't just apply to sitting room dramas but just as much to fantastical sci-fi and animated films and pretty much all film. Hopefully you've also got a deeper understanding of what Alcove and I mean by "sound is half the experience" and now understand that most of your questions in this thread are nonsensical and could not really be answered even if they were hypothetical.

G

Again, very elegant answers and a very interesting read, I learned a few things from you (the sound reflections bit was especially helpful) but a lot of this is you just repeating yourself from countless other posts on this message board. Sometimes people on this board are looking for quick practical answers and not lessons on why their film sucks.

If there is someone else that can help me please chime is. I don't know how else to say this besides "if a gun was being held to your head to mix the scene with only the audio tracks I've described, how would you do it for an LCR mix?"

Thanks

Sometimes people on this board are looking for quick practical answers and not lessons on why their film sucks.

Person says: My car has got no engine, how do I adjust the gas pedal so that it runs. You explain why a car sucks without an engine, some principles of how to fit an engine and make the car run. Person says: Thanks for all that info about engines but I'm not interested in engines at the moment, I just want as simple answer to how I can adjust my gas pedal so my car runs. You say: Adjust it however you want, it really doesn't matter, your car won't run however you adjust it!

I don't know how else to say this besides "if a gun was being held to your head to mix the scene with only the audio tracks I've described, how would you do it for an LCR mix?"

I'd just leave them panned to their default positions and say "done"! LCR crap is not going to sound any better or worse than stereo, mono or 7.1 crap. Just as per the car answer above; pan it however you want, it really doesn't matter, you won't get a passable mix however you pan it.

Please read Alcove's and my previous messages again and try to understand why your question is pointless.

G

Sometimes people on this board are looking for quick practical answers and not lessons on why their film sucks.

The quick practical answer is to find a capable post audio guy like APE and pay them to do it for you. I'm going to assume you don't have the 5 figure post audio budget to pay for his services. Your alternative is to either settle for a less than suitable end result or pay attention to what they are saying (assuming you're going to do the work yourself).

Post audio isn't an easy thing to do. It requires a lot of time, effort and know how. APE and Alcove are both being generous in offering you a huge chunk of their expertise for free. Ignore these experts at your own peril.

APE comes across as a grumpy beast sometimes. I can see how this is off putting. I suggest you learn to get over that issue. While I don't agree with some (some I do too) of his other opinions in regards to script/funding/marketing/crewing etc (gotta dig the heel in once in a while, right?), when it comes to post audio, I've learned that he knows his stuff. He's way more knowledgeable than the majority of us and we'd be a fool to ignore his advice.

This isn't a "how can I make my scene better" question, more of a "how can I do the best with what I have" sort of thing.

This is the proverbial "Polishing a turd." Why do you have to settle for what you have?

Edit: unless you're saying the source music should be stereo, then panned slightly to the location of the source.. that makes sense to me

Here the issue is not recreating reality, but a filmic representation of reality. Go back and reread APE's lengthy post. What sound editors and rerecording mixers do is recreate an alternate sonic reality acceptable to the audience.

Unless you consciously think about it you are not aware of the music being from a single source. Your brain "edits and mixes" the sonic field so that you just hear the music in a nominal "center." So the source/diegetic music which is playing on the radio in the corner of the room is mixed to the center (or close to it) with the appropriate effects (tinny clock radio speaker, TV speaker(s), boom-box, etc.) and the appropriate reverb (bedroom, living room, etc.). Unless crucial to the scene you do not recreate people (or objects) passing in front of the sound source as this will pull the audience out of the scene; their brain would "edit/mix" this out in real life. This is why the dialog doesn't fly around following the characters as they move; in real life the brain just hears the person talking to you in the center, even though you are aware of them standing to one side of you. At that moment where they are standing is less important than what they are saying. Panning dialog would be a distraction to the audience.

And this is one of the many complexities of film sound; you are using recording devices that cannot duplicate the way your ears hear and your brain "edits/mixes" and playing back on a system that is still far removed from how your brain "edits/mixes."

The quick practical answer is to find a capable post audio guy like APE and pay them to do it for you. I'm going to assume you don't have the 5 figure post audio budget to pay for his services. Your alternative is to either settle for a less than suitable end result or pay attention to what they are saying (assuming you're going to do the work yourself).

Post audio isn't an easy thing to do. It requires a lot of time, effort and know how. APE and Alcove are both being generous in offering you a huge chunk of their expertise for free. Ignore these experts at your own peril.

APE comes across as a grumpy beast sometimes. I can see how this is off putting. I suggest you learn to get over that issue. While I don't agree with some (some I do too) of his other opinions in regards to script/funding/marketing/crewing etc (gotta dig the heel in once in a while, right?), when it comes to post audio, I've learned that he knows his stuff. He's way more knowledgeable than the majority of us and we'd be a fool to ignore his advice.

I'm very aware that both Alcove and APE know their stuff. They (as well as others here) offer a wealth of information for free and I can appreciate that. Just because I don't post here every day doesn't mean I don't read the forums. You may notice I've been a member here since March 2012 which looks to be longer than both you and APE.

I'm not going to call myself an expert or seasoned professional in any area of filmmaking, but that doesn't mean my methods are any less valid. Telling someone their question is pointless is pretentious. In this situation I happen to still be weighing my options about either spending money at an audio post house or just mixing myself, but I should have the right to be able to ask a hypothetical question here and not get talked down to.

What if I were completely out of money and I didn't budget my time and I had to deliver my DCP mix by tomorrow morning to make it in time for my festival premier and I needed some quick advice on my 2 track audio mix? Everything APE and Alcove said in this thread is completely useless to me at that point.

Anyway, I'm not angry, and I'm not trying to single anyone out, but if others try to keep an open mind, I'll try to do the same.

This is the proverbial "Polishing a turd." Why do you have to settle for what you have?

Honestly, simply put, it doesn't sound like a turd to me. If I were in your shoes I'd probably assume it sounds bad as well, but as an artist I'm OK with this representation of my work. Just thought maybe you guys might have advice for the best brand of polish :)

The major thing that worries me is how completely different it will sound in a theatre compared to my music recording studio set up. But that's when I started thinking about documentaries and how there's got to be many of them out there with super basic audio tracks and no added sounds. Seems like if the filmmaker were honest they wouldn't do anything more complex than a little sound editing and mixing. Admittedly, a pure sound documentary is probably rare, but still...

Last edited:
I'm not going to call myself an expert or seasoned professional in any area of filmmaking, but that doesn't mean my methods are any less valid.

It does if you are trying to create something of, or approaching, professional standards. The methods we use have evolved over decades to meet expectations, avoid disasters and be the most efficient. Failure in any one of these areas makes us uncompetitive in one of the most competitive professions. The chances of someone, who isn't a highly experienced professional, coming up with a different but equally valid method is, quite frankly, extremely remote at best.

Telling someone their question is pointless is pretentious.

Unless of course the question is pointless, in which case it's not pretentious, it's just the truth! Furthermore, you'd be doing them a favour by pointing this out, even though they might not see it as a favour at that point in time. Just look at some of the threads by Harmonica44 for example!

What if I were completely out of money and I didn't budget my time and I had to deliver my DCP mix by tomorrow morning to make it in time for my festival premier and I needed some quick advice on my 2 track audio mix? Everything APE and Alcove said in this thread is completely useless to me at that point.

No, what Alcove and I have stated is basic, fundamental sound principles, so fundamental in fact they apply to all audio mixing, not just film/TV. Regardless of how little time I had available, I would still be applying these basic principles. I might just have to throw in fewer, more generic and less than stellar atmos, Foley or other SFX and severely compromise the processing, subtlety, finesse and overall design. With a festival screening (as opposed to a commercial distributor or broadcaster) you've got the luxury of avoiding some of the more detailed rebuilding work required for an M&E mix but "avoiding some of the rebuilding work" is a very far cry from completely ignoring fundamental sound mixing principles! I suppose it's possible there is no time to do anything other than to make the dialogue at least comprehensible. I personally wouldn't accept a gig like that, or if I did for some reason, it would be on the condition of not having my name connected with the project, because I can't afford to be seen as an incompetent, complete newbie! But then maybe in this situation the filmmaker should not submit their film for screening, to also avoid being seen as incompetent. For some of the lesser festivals incompetence is the norm, so maybe the film won't seem so out of place?

Honestly, simply put, it doesn't sound like a turd to me... as an artist I'm OK with this representation of my work.

I know you're not going to like and most likely not be able to accept this response but in all likelihood, what you have said simply means that you are incapable of recognising a turd and are therefore compromised as an artist. Sorry if this statement sounds harsh or insulting but at some stage in the future you might recognise some truth in it and find it useful. It's certainly worth adding to this statement that it's entirely possible this inability is no reflection on your personal abilities. It could easily be that your sound system and the way it's set-up, makes it difficult or even impossible to recognise the difference.

Just thought maybe you guys might have advice for the best brand of polish :)

That's effectively exactly what Alcove and I have done! From your perspective though, if I understand it correctly, we appear to be refusing to tell you the best brand of turd polish. From our perspective, we are trying to tell you that there are no brands of turd polish because a turd can't be polished, and even if a turd could be polished, what's the point? A polished turd would still smell just as bad as an unpolished one! What alcove and I have therefore attempted to provide is advice which could help you to avoid creating a turd in the first place and therefore avoid the search for some mythical turd polish.

The major thing that worries me is how completely different it will sound in a theatre compared to my music recording studio set up.

Now that is most certainly NOT a pointless question! Unfortunately though, it's a question without a satisfactory answer, even though people have been seeking an answer for many years. At this point in time and for the foreseeable future, it's far cheaper to build an actual cinema and fill it with mixing equipment than it is to try and emulate the sound of a cinema in a much smaller room (like a recording studio). Part of the problem is that there is no way to predict how a mix created in a small room will translate to theatrical playback. There's a chance that the small room mix might sound quite similar, or similar enough not to cause glaring problems in the cinema, but there's at least an equal chance that it will sound very substantially different, even to the point of it destroying your screening. There are only 3 ways of dealing with this problem: 1. Have your mix created in a commercial theatrical dub stage, 2. Create the mix in your small room, hire a theatrical dub stage for a couple of hours to check your mix and then try to compensate for the problems you noticed back in your small mix room or 3. Trust to luck that your small room mix will translate acceptably when screened in a cinema.

that's when I started thinking about documentaries and how there's got to be many of them out there with super basic audio tracks and no added sounds. Seems like if the filmmaker were honest they wouldn't do anything more complex than a little sound editing and mixing. Admittedly, a pure sound documentary is probably rare, but still...

Not sure what you mean by "if the filmmaker were honest"? I don't see anything particularly "honest" about where we point a mono mic and it's polar pattern for example. If we're talking about commercial docos, there has always been some amount of rebuilding, even if only due to the requirement of an M&E mix rather than for artistic reasons. But as I said previously, 5.1 is the minimum requirement for most commercial docos these days so there is absolutely no alternative to even more construction work! Commercial docos generally have a lower threshold of acceptability compared to TV dramas or theatrical features though.

APE comes across as a grumpy beast sometimes.

That's usually not my intent and I'm not like that IRL, it's just the way I tend to come across due to my style of writing and because I'm usually rushing.

G

That's usually not my intent and I'm not like that IRL, it's just the way I tend to come across due to my style of writing and because I'm usually rushing.

In this last response I can tell you made an effort to sound nicer and more understanding, which I really appreciate. It makes for a much more pleasant experience when reading these paragraphs and makes me less likely to get defensive.

As for the content in your responses, some of it makes a lot of sense and some I disagree with, but arguing more about it is not important to me. At least I understand where you're coming from now, and I will be sure to re-read this thread when I go into pre-production on my next feature. As for this current film, I ended up getting the answer I wanted on a different forum, but I think I will end up hiring an audio post house to mix and prep my project for DCP after all. I feel my time can better be spent on other areas of getting this thing ready for world premier.

Thanks for all your help.

PS:
To answer your question about my documentary statement... It seems to me if documentary filmmakers are adding off-screen sounds, or false atmospheres, or even adding fake footsteps because the original mic didn't pick them up, it's kind of dishonest to the subject of the film. Is that how it REALLY sounds when you're standing in the middle of the african savannah or is that an audio post guy's best guess at how it sounds while he sits in his studio in Los Angeles? At a certain point, if too much is altered, it would become no better than a TV reality show, which we all know if very staged and heavily altered in post.

It sounds like you got a 2 cent answer to a 2 cent question. If it works for you, then that's great. From what I can tell, APE was attempting to tell you how to get a professional result. Each to their own.

I hope your project comes out great.

I ended up getting the answer I wanted on a different forum...

No you didn't! You may have got an answer, and that answer might be the one you think you wanted but I guarantee that it's not the answer you really needed! Hopefully it's a moot point now though, if you really are going to get some pros to do it for you.

It seems to me if documentary filmmakers are adding off-screen sounds, or false atmospheres, or even adding fake footsteps because the original mic didn't pick them up, it's kind of dishonest to the subject of the film.

If there were footsteps originally and the mic didn't pick them up, it seems to me more dishonest just to leave them out and not replace them in post. You might say "but I didn't really notice the footsteps at the time", in which case I refer you to the previous posts in this thread by me and Alcove as to why it's still needed.

Is that how it REALLY sounds when you're standing in the middle of the african savannah or is that an audio post guy's best guess at how it sounds while he sits in his studio in Los Angeles? At a certain point, if too much is altered, it would become no better than a TV reality show, which we all know if very staged and heavily altered in post.

Your argument seems to be based on an incorrect assumption that what a mic records at the time of shooting is some sort of truth or reality and therefore more valid (or "honest") than what goes on in audio post. We hear sound from all around us, not just one thin directional slice from a single point in front of us and not even in just a 360deg horizontal plane but in the vertical plane as well. What the African savannah "REALLY sounds" like cannot be captured by a single mic and even less so by a single highly directional mic. Even a whole array of expertly positioned mics is still only going to get us at best a good approximation but a whole array of expertly positioned and balanced mics is completely impractical for a doco, for a variety of reasons. And of course we're still only talking about the problems of recording "reality" and not about the even more significant problems of how we playback that reality with a just two, three or six speaker, highly imperfect playback system!

So the question is NOT a choice between "reality" and an audio post generated fake reality. If it were, what on earth would be the point of paying for audio post to make it sound worse, why would audio post even exist?! No, in practise the choice is between the lesser of two unrealistic evils. The fact that professional audio post not only exists but is ALWAYS employed by commercial doco makers (who in turn are driven by consumer demand/expectation) is proof on it's own that audio post is by far the superior choice and that's without even using your own ears to decide which is better!

In short: No, that's not how it really sounds because it's impossible to record or playback how it really sounds. So then it's a question of how close can you get to how it really sounds and that is dependent on the skill, experience and resources of the audio post guy/s but almost invariably it's closer to how it really sounds than playing back nothing other than the live recording from a mic.

Again, not trying to sound insulting, but all this is part of the essential basics of commercial film and doco making.

G

Back