• READ BEFORE POSTING!
    • If posting a video, please post HERE, unless it is a video as part of an advertisement and then post it in this section.
    • If replying to threads please remember this is the Promotion area and the person posting may not be open to feedback.

watch The Waters Echo - A Level Short film

This is a short film which I have created for an A-level media course.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8PS1ET43kF0

posterscaled.PNG

Last edited:
Nice one!

This is a really interesting piece. Thanks for sharing! I love the cinematography, and the timelapses in the sky and trees during the time travel. Beautiful!

Poster needs cleaning up, you've lost detail in your whites, some rolling shutter detected, if this was done of Sony Vegas you need to disable re-sample (Right-click properties). Good use of sound, decent cinematography, okay story. Well done.

lol i started hearing the music and i'm like thats from spy game! lol but anyways, pretty good short. I liked the cinematography

ok i just finished watching it all that was really really good. I could tell whoever had the vision on this thing knew what they wanted and what they were doing. Only thing i would say is the script was a little cliche at parts but not enough to take me out of the movie. I didn't expect the time travel element of it and I really got interested after it started with that. The character development and overall flow of the movie was great. I would just work on the acting and lighting of the movie a little more and you got a great short on your hands. Either way great job!

I loved: The color correction. The premise of the story. The transitions. CC was hit hard, but it was consistent throughout so it worked as a stylized look. There were some boss transitions like a pan and a dissolve. Obviously thought out ahead of time. Nicely executed.
I liked: The pacing. It could have been a little tighter as 13 minutes seemed to drag a little, but overall it got to the point and moved along.
I'd recommend: Editing. Cinematography. The edits on conversations seem to cut back and forth from one person talking to the next. Try using the "L" cut where the other person starts talking while the picture is still on the listener and then cut partway to the speaker. Cutaways to the listener can say a lot with an emotional reaction in a close up too. Cinematography. The shots became confusing when you crossed the line in some scenes. Review that 180 degree rule and pick a side of the line to stay on. It wasn't a serious offender, it was just jarring between a few of the cuts particularly during conversations.

Overall nice work!
-Matt Van Howe
http://www.voiceofthevespers.com

A very good effort, particularly for an A-Level project. Very well done!

With that said, there was obviously a number of serious problems and omissions with the sound. Quite a few sections of your short were in effect a silent film and most of the remaining sections were essentially a silent film with dialogue. However, your use of sound was very inconsistent, one part of a scene would have no sound (ambience, SFX or Foley), while the next or previous edit within the same scene/location would have one of these sound elements. It's obvious that you spent a considerable amount of time and effort recording and editing ADR but nowhere near the same attention to detail with Foley, ambiances, sound FX or in creating believable environments in general. This is definitely an area of your filmmaking which requires some serious attention if you are to progress to a higher level.

G

Nice! Good job on the story, I thought it was written well. One thing I would have done differently is the transition from 9:34-9:45. It felt unnatural for the music and picture to fade out hen fades back in. If you wanted to keep the fade out for the first clip, It would have sounded better to start the music for the next clip with something more vibrant, rather then just fading in. Again, this is just an idea for how I would have done it. Not saying what you did was wrong.

I really like the song at the beginning. The acting, music, color grading, and writing is really good. I enjoyed it. It had many great scenes and elements that gave it the quality of a "Hollywood" film. Cinematography is good (camera movement is real smooth). Audio editing is amazing.

I think the film had a lot of small flaws that distracted me, but the good elements triumphed over the things that bothered me. The zooming, the warp stabilizer, the blown out parts, the underexposed parts, and the slo-motion part at the end were a few of the things I did not like.

Back