The Room - a must see terrible film.

So, are any of you savvy to THE ROOM? Oh my goodness. My friend hosts a 'Bad Movie Night' once a week--when he can, and last night we watched THE ROOM - written, directed, produced and starring Tommy Wiseau. <you can find the trailer and info by clicking on the movie title in this paragraph>

This is a must see bad movie...for so many reasons. First off, let me start out by saying that the DP and lighting design are solid, and the camera work is capable...as is the editing which must have been hard as hell with this cast and script. The sound and sound design are good as well. These are not the films problems...

The films problem lie in the hilariously bad performances and the horrid script (including padded scenes that have nothing to do with driving the story). The lead actor Tommy Wiseau (which I stated above was the major everything-dude in this picture) is so bad, so incredibly bad, it's funny.

So, the story behind THE ROOM doesn't end there. It gets better. This movie was clearly written as a drama. A very serious drama. But because the performances and script are so bad, reviews have been talking about how funny it is...so what does Tommy do? He starts labeling the film as a 'Dark Comedy.' Too funny...oh, that's not all.

So the reviews are bad. So bad, they tell you--like I am--that you have to see this film. So what does Tommy do? Every single bad review finds Tommy's lawyer knocking at their door, forcing them to take down the review for copyright infringement...how is that possible? I don't know, but it worked. So now this movie has received cult status because of all of this negative publicity and Tommy's demands. Reviewers and the like are all making fun of Tommy now. He's a hot topic.

This video may sum it up a little (those that know the site That Guy With Glasses):
http://thatguywiththeglasses.com/videolinks/teamt/ol/sketches/27503-day-tommy-wiseau

Just watch THE ROOM...you'll love how bad it is. Take the trailer, and multiple that bad by 100, and you have the movie.

Wiki: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Room_(film)

Last edited:
Craptacular. Only, I sure hope the whole production is horrible enough to earn the tag 'so bad it's good'. The trailers actually make me feel pity for this dude.... and not from story circumstance.

I'm surprised you haven't heard of it before. There's a few threads/reports/opinions on it here.

The only review taken down for copyright infringement, that I can think of, was fairly recent. I've already forgotten the name of the site/review, but they make really long critiques of films - often using up to 20 minutes of actual footage mixed with MST3K-ish material. That's well beyond any fair use claim, I would think. ;)

I miss the billboard. :(

...but not the film. It's just crap; not worthy of cult status. :)

Edit: It was the site you linked, The Guy With Glasses, that does those long reviews. Nostalgia Critic.

Last edited:
Craptacular. Only, I sure hope the whole production is horrible enough to earn the tag 'so bad it's good'. The trailers actually make me feel pity for this dude.... and not from story circumstance.

Oh it's bad. WAY worse than the trailer. Trust me, it's worth seeing. I wouldn't say it's so bad it's good...but I will say it's so bad it's entertaining.

It shows you what NOT to do when making a film, writing a script, or giving a line reading.

Steve, I was told that any negative review gets heat from him.

I love watching movies that can make me feel better as film maker "*I* could do a better job than that!" type of thing! I'll have to check it out!:)

I love watching movies that can make me feel better as film maker "*I* could do a better job than that!" type of thing! I'll have to check it out!:)

Well, like I said, technically it looks great (shot on HD). The lighting is solid and interesting, the camera work is capable, the editing is good...it's all there. It's just the script and acting.

We discussed this film in a film comedy class I took last semester. We were doing unintentional humor. I didn't see the film yet but we did watch some parts in class--and yes it is so bad it's funny.

Well, like I said, technically it looks great (shot on HD). The lighting is solid and interesting, the camera work is capable, the editing is good...it's all there. It's just the script and acting.

That sounds like a certain blockbuster I watched recently....

BACK to this subject-was the director also the writer on this? I find films infuriating, because it's like how could mess that up?! Everything was great-why couldn't you get better script/acting?!

I shall retract mystatement about I could do better lol

7 million??? Bullshit.

My friends and I were discussing this last night, and we came up with less than half a million. This was shot on HD with zero name actors, a small sound stage and only a few locations. Also, very little marketing.

No way he spent that much.

This was shot on HD with zero name actors, a small sound stage and only a few locations. Also, very little marketing.

No way he spent that much.

You didn't watch the BTS on the disc, I can tell. :)

Edit: To paraphrase one part of the "Making Of"...

"We didn't understand the difference between 35mm film and hi-def video... so we shot on both"

Last edited:
You didn't watch the BTS on the disc, I can tell. :)

Edit: To paraphrase one part of the "Making Of"...

"We didn't understand the difference between 35mm film and hi-def video... so we shot on both"

Oh, I know that. Yes. My friends told me on the night I watched it. If you watch carefully, you'll see that most of it is HD.

That still doesn't translate to 7 mill.

I do think that's hilarious though.

My director buddy just said, "Well, this maybe right. Mostly because 'The Room' looks like it was shot on a mountain of blow. And, from what I've heard, blow ain't cheap."

lol. True.

I youtubed and found the flower shop scene.

Ouch.

Ya, this scene is a classic example of them setting up for the location, and then someone coming in and saying, 'YOU HAVE TEN MINUTES TO GET OUT!'

It's so obviously rushed. Watch how the scene starts out normal speed, and then slowly picks up, and then they are just practically jumping their lines with no emotion at all and zoom...he's gone, scene end.

So funny. We've all been there (getting rushed on location), but we never let it show so dramatically in the final line reads and cut.

Back