The Principles of Sound Design

Introduction:

In this thread I am going to try to explain the fundamentals of sound design. Sound Design is the most esoteric of the film arts and the least well understood by the public, the vast majority of filmmakers and even by some who market themselves as a Sound Designer. For this reason, virtually all new, no, micro and low budget filmmakers either aren't aware that sound design actually exists, misunderstand what it is or even consciously avoid it.

In this thread I will try to explain what sound design really is, what it is not, why it is so fundamentally important to modern filmmaking at all budget levels and how you can change the way you approach your filmmaking to include sound design. Hopefully by the time I'm finished you will also appreciate why I've posted it in the Pre-Production forum rather than the Post Production forum.

While I've already posted some of the information in other threads which I'm going to include here, I thought it would be good to put it all in one place, expand on it, make it more cohesive and to create a useful resource. I'm even going to post and go through a scene of a project I worked on, to provide a practical example of what I'm talking about. It's going to take time and effort to cover all this so I'm going to spread it over several posts in this thread rather than one single long post.

G

I just want to post my thanks and appreciation for creating this thread, APE. As an aspiring sound recordist and hopeful one-day sound designer, it's probably the most useful thread I've ever read on this forum. Absolutely mind-blowing sound design example, it really brings the craft to life for us learners!

Okay. I have two questions.

Is there gonna be a next chapter ?

You're talking about a patchwork of different sounds from different sources. How one learns to merge sounds to integrate them seamlessly ?

Conclusion & Application

Hopefully my example has given you a much better idea of what sound design is and the power and control it provides to manipulate an audience's emotional responses. Audiences don't pay to watch a film, they pay to be entertained by experiencing a film and this rarely happens by chance, it has to be manufactured by filmmakers through the manipulation of the audience's emotional responses. Ultimately therefore, the power to manipulate and control an audience's emotional responses IS filmmaking. You've seen it written on indietalk before, sound really is half the "experience" and in certain scenes it could be more than half! No matter how much time, effort and money you invest in scripting, acting, capturing and manipulating the visual images, if you don't back that up with attention to detail with the sound design, the audience's perception and emotional involvement with your images is only ever going to be a fraction of what it could have been.

In the analysis I talked of what was done in audio post but of course it goes far beyond this because what we were able to do was dependent on more than our abilities as audio post professionals. For example, without at least one shot establishing the presence of the heart monitor and buzzer, two of the most featured "instruments" in our sound design "composition" would not have been available. You might have noticed that every single sound and group of sounds in this scene at one time or another was omitted (except maybe the RT), even the dialogue was reduced at the beginning to near unintelligibility! Diminishing the number of sounds we can use (instruments in our orchestra) would have reduced our options and our ability to create shape, dramatic impact and depth of audience emotional response. For example, a room, in a detached house with double glazing, in a quiet suburb, with no shots establishing the presence of anything which makes any noise reduces the number of instruments in our orchestra to just one or two. We can't create any shape/pace by omitting sounds (and bringing them in again later) because there's nothing there to omit, bring back or introduce! No matter how good a sound designer you are (or you hire), with so little to work with, sound design is not going to be able to contribute much in the way of drama, intensity or changes in pace/shape. This maybe perfect for a brief scene designed to create emotional impact from the contrast of a high octane scene just before or just after, but is the kiss of death if most or all of your film is like this!

To summarise this previous paragraph: Sound design is NOT just designing sound for a film, it also requires that the film is designed for sound!!

Hopefully now you realise why I've posted this in the Pre-Production forum? Most of what was achieved in the sound design of the example scene was only possible because the script and the pre-production made it possible! The script called for a room in a hospital, a location which provides a rich potential for interesting background SFX, the pre-production shot list included establishing the presence of the heart monitor and buzzer, while the filming, acting and subsequent picture editing included numerous short pauses and opportunities for the sound design to weave it's magic. While high paced wall to wall dialogue might enhance intensity in a play, book or script, in film it frequently has the opposite effect or at least, often succeeds only half as well as originally intended! Of course, this last statement depends on what the director "originally intended". Maybe reducing the use of this "sound design audience manipulation tool" was exactly what the director intended for this particular scene, which brings us to the director...

The sound design in the example scene works in the intense way it does because that's how the director wanted it! The shape and changing shape of the scene was a collaboration between what we suggested and what the director envisaged. This means 2 things; Firstly, the director developed a clear vision of what she wanted this scene to achieve (well before she shouted "Action" for the first time) and Secondly, she was able to communicate very effectively with everyone involved in the scene what this vision was. While she hardly knew the difference between a pan pot and a fader, she knew exactly what she wanted the sound design to achieve. All those changes of pace and emotion created by the sound design in the example scene were directed!

From all this, I hope you can see two things:
1. Sound design is so entrenched in modern commercial filmmaking and far too useful and powerful a filmmaking tool to ignore or even marginalise.
2. To use sound design effectively to make your film the most involving and entertaining it can be, is not just a case of spending more time and/or money on audio post. It requires a change in the way you approach your filmmaking! From the script, to creating the director's vision, through pre-production, filming and picture editorial, you need to be constantly thinking, at least in part, of sound design: Of what you want your film (and each scene in it) to achieve and of how to create opportunities for sound design to operate effectively in creating the pace, shape and emotional intensity required. If you're not approaching your filmmaking this way you're not really making films, you're making moving image montages!

If I have time later or maybe over the next day or two, I'll try to add to this thread by giving more specific suggestions of how to script, plan and execute sound design. In the meantime, maybe it's worth having a look at some of those great films in your collection again, with a fresh perspective on how sound is being employed to manipulate you!

G

Last edited:
Conclusion & Application

Hopefully my example has given you a much better idea of what sound design is and the power and control it provides to manipulate an audience's emotional responses.
Thank you once again, very helpful info.

Sound design is NOT just designing sound for a film, it also requires that the film is designed for sound!!
One more new skill to develop.

If I have time later or maybe over the next day or two, I'll try to add to this thread by giving more specific suggestions of how to script, plan and execute sound design. In the meantime, maybe it's worth having a look at some of those great films in your collection again, with a fresh perspective on how sound is being employed to manipulate you!
Making plans to go to a movie tonight with the wife, and will be watching with my ears...
G

Looking forward to the next chapter.

OK, so maybe taking a midterm final exam isn't recommended when it comes to learning the craft of sound design. And going to see Skyfall was a sure way for me to get an F, but I think I may have come away with a D- ... I listened as carefully as I could. I am fairly deaf as I've been in construction half my life and a mechanic the other half and have not heeded the cautions to save my hearing, it is currently a work in progress though. I wanted a notebook about 5 minutes in and was wanting to time the crescendos of some of the scenes (sounds that is). It made me think; Do I have the slightest chance of making an actual film? One that connects to the audience? I think yes, but it will take way more time and effort than I originally thought. I will begin to practice my new knowledge asap on all of my videos I put on Youtube. I may not be any good at it, but I will try. I will do what I can.

Do I have the slightest chance of making an actual film? One that connects to the audience?

To be honest, not really, no! Should that stop you from trying? Absolutely NOT! What are the chances of you picking up a violin and after your first few tries, producing music which emotionally connects with an audience in any other way than to make them cringe? Film is by far the most complex of all the arts because it is not a single art but a collaboration of several complex arts which at it's best, when it does connect with the audience, appears to be just a single art. Commercial film making is not just a team endeavour but a multiple teams endevour, but none of this should put you off! While the chances of a lo/no budget filmmaker creating good sound design themselves are pretty much zero, the act of trying will teach you a huge amount about how to create a vision which includes sound design and how to plan for and employ it. When you get to the stage that you can start to afford to hire audio professionals, this gained knowledge will be absolutely invaluable! Firstly in picking the right audio professionals to hire and then even more importantly; providing the vision and sound design opportunities to get the most out of them. At that stage in your filmmaking progression you are starting to give yourself a real chance of creating something which connects with an audience. There's no real cheat or shortcut though, it takes time and practice, a lot of it! It takes time and practise to train your hearing just to be able to pick out those audio details which are designed to be subliminal to everyone else and then it takes time to learn how to employ those details to create the audience responses you are after!

BTW, unless your hearing is really screwed, it's not so much about what your ears can hear but more about what your brain can perceive. You heard all those background hospital sound FX and other sound FX in the example scene all along, even the first time you watched the scene, you just weren't specifically aware of everything you were hearing until I started drawing your attention to them individually in the analysis. It's therefore not so much your ear's ability to pick up the sound and transmit it to your brain but more your brain's ability to consciously de-construct all that sound into it's individual layers. Even with some hearing loss or deficiency there is still a great deal you can accomplish by training your perception of what you are hearing. There might come a point in your film making progression where you may need to accept and rely on someone else's opinion during the mixing (re-recording) phase of your filmmaking but that's not so much of a hurdle to overcome.

G

Last edited:
Implementing Sound Design in Your Own Films

The first step, which I hope we have already covered, at least in part, is appreciating the importance of sound design and what it can do in general terms to enhance the experience for your audiences. In my last message, the reply to Icba, I covered the next step in general terms, learning to hear/identify the fine detail in sound design which have been designed not to be consciously heard. Taking that step will enable you to study and analyse great films which you may own and start to take the next step, understanding how those sound design details can been employed to focus attention, generate pace, emotion, involvement and therefore entertainment value. While you will never stop learning these last two steps, I'm going to try to provide some practical tips on implementing sound design.

I've been doing sound design professionally for many years and while I still read and learn from the writings of others in the field, there are always parts (sometimes a lot of parts) I disagree with. This is as it should be, it's important for any artist (even a sound artist!) to have at least some different and original ideas. For this reason I never quote more than the odd sentence here and there from others. However, I'm going to break that rule on this occasion because there's nothing in what I'm going to quote I disagree with, it's packed with useful info and there seems no point in spending loads of time writing something which someone else has already written:

Telling a film story, like telling any kind of story, is about creating connections between characters, places, objects, experiences, and ideas. You try to invent a world which is complex and many layered, like the real world. But unlike most of real life (which tends to be badly written and edited), in a good film a set of themes emerge which embody a clearly identifiable line or arc, which is the story.

It seems to me that one element of writing for movies stands above all others in terms of making the eventual movie as "cinematic" as possible: establishing point of view. The audience experiences the action through its identification with characters. The writing needs to lay the ground work for setting up pov before the actors, cameras, microphones, and editors come into play. Each of these can obviously enhance the element of pov, but the script should contain the blueprint.

Let’s say we are writing a story about a guy who, as a boy, loved visiting his father at the steel mill where he worked. The boy grows up and seems to be pretty happy with his life as a lawyer, far from the mill. But he has troubling, ambiguous nightmares that eventually lead him to go back to the town where he lived as a boy in an attempt to find the source of the bad dreams.

The description above doesn’t say anything specific about the possible use of sound in this story, but I have chosen basic story elements which hold vast potential for sound. First, it will be natural to tell the story more-or-less through the pov of our central character. But that’s not all. A steel mill gives us a huge palette for sound. Most importantly, it is a place which we can manipulate to produce a set of sounds which range from banal to exciting to frightening to weird to comforting to ugly to beautiful. The place can therefore become a character, and have its own voice, with a range of "emotions" and "moods." And the sounds of the mill can resonate with a wide variety of elements elsewhere in the story. None of this good stuff is likely to happen unless we write, shoot, and edit the story in a way that allows it to happen.

The element of dream in the story swings a door wide open to sound as a collaborator. In a dream sequence we as film makers have even more latitude than usual to modulate sound to serve our story, and to make connections between the sounds in the dream and the sounds in the world for which the dream is supplying clues. Likewise, the "time border" between the "little boy" period and the "grown-up" period offers us lots of opportunities to compare and contrast the two worlds, and his perception of them. Over a transition from one period to the other, one or more sounds can go through a metamorphosis. Maybe as our guy daydreams about his childhood, the rhythmic clank of a metal shear in the mill changes into the click clack of the railroad car taking him back to his home town. Any sound, in itself, only has so much intrinsic appeal or value. On the other hand, when a sound changes over time in response to elements in the larger story, its power and richness grow exponentially.

Sadly, it is common for a director to come to me with a sequence composed of unambiguous, unmysterious, and uninteresting shots of a location like a steel mill, and then to tell me that this place has to be made sinister and fascinating with sound effects. As icing on the cake, the sequence typically has wall-to-wall dialog which will make it next to impossible to hear any of the sounds I desperately throw at the canvas.

In recent years there has been a trend, which may be in insidious influence of bad television, toward non-stop dialog in films. The wise old maxim that it’s better to say it with action than words seems to have lost some ground. Quentin Tarantino has made some excellent films which depend heavily on dialog, but he’s incorporated scenes which use dialog sparsely as well.

There is a phenomenon in movie making that my friends and I sometimes call the "100% theory." Each department-head on a film, unless otherwise instructed, tends to assume that it is 100% his or her job to make the movie work. The result is often a logjam of uncoordinated visual and aural product, each craft competing for attention, and often adding up to little more than noise unless the director and editor do their jobs extremely well.

Dialogue is one of the areas where this inclination toward density is at its worst. On top of production dialog, the trend is to add as much ADR as can be wedged into a scene. Eventually, all the space not occupied by actual words is filled with grunts, groans, and breathing (supposedly in an effort to "keep the character alive"). Finally the track is saved (sometimes) from being a self parody only by the fact that there is so much other sound happening simultaneously that at least some of the added dialog is masked. If your intention is to pack your film with wall-to-wall clever dialog, maybe you should consider doing a play!

When a character looks at an object, we the audience are looking at it, more-or-less through his eyes. The way he reacts to seeing the object (or doesn’t react) can give us vital information about who he is and how he fits into this situation. The same is true for hearing. If there are no moments in which our character is allowed to hear the world around him, then the audience is deprived of one important dimension of HIS life.

Sound effects can make a scene scary and interesting as hell, but they usually need a little help from the visual end of things. For example, we may want to have a strange-sounding machine running off-camera during a scene in order to add tension and atmosphere. If there is at least a brief, fairly close shot of some machine which could be making the sound, it will help me immensely to establish the sound. Over that shot we can feature the sound, placing it firmly in the minds of the audience. Then we never have to see it again, but every time the audience hears it, they will know what it is (even if it is played very low under dialogue), and they will make all the appropriate associations, including a sense of the geography of the place.

The contrast between a sound heard at a distance, and that same sound heard close-up can be a very powerful element. If our guy and an old friend are walking toward the mill, and they hear, from several blocks away, the sounds of the machines filling the neighborhood, there will be a powerful contrast when they arrive at the mill gate.

Let’s say we’re writing a character for a movie we’re making. This guy is out of money, angry, desperate. We need, obviously, to design the place where he lives. Maybe it’s a run-down apartment in the middle of a big city. The way that place looks will tell us (the audience) enormous amounts about who the character is and how he is feeling. And if we take sound into account when we do the visual design then we have the potential for hearing through his ears this terrible place he inhabits. Maybe water and sewage pipes are visible on the ceiling and walls. If we establish one of those pipes in a close-up it will do wonders for the sound designer’s ability to create the sounds of stuff running through and vibrating all the pipes. Without seeing the pipes we can still put "pipe sounds" into the track, but it will be much more difficult to communicate to the audience what those sounds are. One close-up of a pipe, accompanied by grotesque sewage pipe sounds, is all we need to clearly tell the audience how sonically ugly this place is. After that, we only need to hear those sounds and audience will make the connection to the pipes without even having to show them.

It’s wonderful when a movie gives you the sense that you really know the places in it. That each place is alive, has character and moods. A great actor will find ways to use the place in which he finds himself in order to reveal more about the person he plays. We need to hear the sounds that place makes in order to know it. We need to hear the actor’s voice reverberating there. And when he is quiet we need to hear the way that place will be without him.

Viewers/listeners are pulled into a story mainly because they are led to believe that there are interesting questions to be answered, and that they, the audience, may possess certain insights useful in solving the puzzle. If this is true, then it follows that a crucial element of storytelling is knowing what not to make immediately clear, and then devising techniques that use the camera and microphone to seduce the audience with just enough information to tease them into getting involved. It is as if our job is to hang interesting little question marks in the air surrounding each scene, or to place pieces of cake on the ground that seem to lead somewhere, though not in a straight line.

Sound may be the most powerful tool in the filmmaker’s arsenal in terms of its ability to seduce. That’s because "sound," as the great sound editor Alan Splet once said, "is a heart thing." We, the audience, interpret sound with our emotions, not our intellect.

Let’s assume we as film makers want to take sound seriously, and that the first issues have already been addressed:
1) The desire exists to tell the story more-or-less through the point of view of one or more of the characters.

2) Locations have been chosen, and sets designed which don’t rule out sound as a player, and in fact, encourage it.

3) There is not non-stop dialog.

Here are some ways to tease the eye, and thereby invite the ear to the party:

The Beauty of Long Lenses and Short Lenses
There is something odd about looking through a very long lens or a very short lens. We see things in a way we don’t ordinarily see them. The inference is often that we are looking through someone else’s eyes. In the opening sequence of "The Conversation" we see people in San Franciscoís Union Square through a telephoto lens. The lack of depth of field and other characteristics of that kind of lens puts us into a very subjective space. As a result, we can easily justify hearing sounds which may have very little to do with what we see in the frame, and more to do with the way the person ostensibly looking through that lens FEELS. The way we use such a shot will determine whether that inference is made obvious to the audience, or kept subliminal.

Dutch Angles and Moving Cameras
The shot may be from floor level or ceiling level. The frame may be rotated a few degrees off vertical. The camera may be on a track, hand held, or just panning. In any of these cases the effect will be to put the audience in unfamiliar space. The shot will no longer simply be "depicting" the scene. The shot becomes part of the scene. The element of unfamiliar space suddenly swings the door wide-open to sound.

Darkness Around the Edge Of the Frame
In many of the great film noir classics the frame was carefully composed with areas of darkness. Though we in the audience may not consciously consider what inhabits those dark splotches, they nevertheless get the point across that the truth, lurking somewhere just outside the frame is too complex to let itself be photographed easily. Don’t forget that the ears are the guardians of sleep. They tell us what we need to know about the darkness, and will gladly supply some clues about what’s going on.

Extreme Close-ups and Long Shots
Very close shots of peopleís hands, their clothing, etc. will tend to make us feel as though we are experiencing things through the point of view of either the person being photographed or the person whose view of them we are sharing. Extreme long shots are wonderful for sound because they provide an opportunity to hear the fullness or emptiness of a vast landscape. Carroll Ballards films The Black Stallion and Never Cry Wolf use wide shots and extreme close-ups wonderfully with sound.

Slow Motion
Raging Bull and Taxi Driver contain some obvious, and some very subtle uses of slow motion. Some of it is barely perceptible. But it always seems to put us into a dream-space, and tell us that something odd, and not very wholesome, is happening.

Black and White Images
Many still photographers feel that black and white images have several artistic advantages over color. Among them, that black and white shots are often less "busy" than color images, and therefore lend themselves more to presenting a coherent feeling. We are surrounded in our everyday lives by color and color images. A black and white image now is clearly "understood" (felt) to be someone’s point of view, not an "objective" presentation of events. In movies, like still photography, painting, fiction, and poetry, the artist tends to be most concerned with communicating feelings rather than "information." Black and white images have the potential to convey a maximum of feeling without the "clutter" of color.

Whenever we as an audience are put into a visual "space" in which we are encouraged to "feel" rather than "think," what comes into our ears can inform those feelings and magnify them.

What Do All Of These Visual Approaches Have In Common?
They all are ways of withholding information. They muddy the waters a little. When done well, the result will be the following implication: Gee folks, if we could be more explicit about what is going on here we sure would, but it is so damned mysterious that even we, the storytellers, don’t fully understand how amazing it is. Maybe you can help us take it a little farther." That message is the bait. Dangle it in front of an audience and they won’t be able to resist going for it. in the process of going for it they bring their imaginations and experiences with them, making your story suddenly become their story. success.

We, the film makers, are all sitting around a table in pre-production, brainstorming about how to manufacture the most delectable bait possible, and how to make it seem like it isn’t bait at all. (Aren’t the most interesting stories always told by guys who have to be begged to tell them?) We know that we want to sometimes use the camera to withhold information, to tease, or to put it more bluntly: to seduce. The most compelling method of seduction is inevitably going to involve sound as well.

Ideally, the unconscious dialog in the minds of the audience should be something like: "What I’m seeing isn’t giving me enough information. What I’m hearing is ambiguous, too. But the combination of the two seems to be pointing in the direction of a vaguely familiar container into which I can pour my experience and make something I never before quite imagined." Isn’t it obvious that the microphone plays just as important a role in setting up this performance as does the camera?

Editing Picture With Sound In Mind
One of the many things a film editor does is to get rid of moments in the film in which "nothing" is happening. A desirable objective most of the time, but not always. The editor and director need to be able to figure out when it will be useful to linger on a shot after the dialog is finished, or before it begins. To stay around after the obvious "action" is past, so that we can listen. Of course it helps quite a bit if the scene has been shot with these useful pauses in mind. Into these little pauses sound can creep on it’s stealthy little toes, or its clanking jackboots, to tell us something about where we have been or where we are going.

Taken from "Designing A Movie For Sound" - Randy Thom

I'll give some more specific examples and practical advice in another post and of course, if you have any specific questions, feel free to fire away!

G

This is pure gold... Seriously. One day if I get anywhere with my filmmaking, I'll have to credit you.

I'm not at home for now and I'd like practicing everything you're saying. Any advice on how to ? IS there any "educational" materiel out there you can recommend ? Like short sequences for which I would design sound from a limited and adequate library ?

Because as much as I'm learning while reading your posts, the next time I'm designing sound for a short, I'll be able to plan for it but I don't know about actually putting it in the edit.

As I have mentioned in previous posts our brains have an "editing" function that eliminates "irrelevant" information from our conscious thinking, yet all of that "irrelevant" data still affects us subconsciously. There are many sounds - or the lack of them - to which we react on an "instinctive" level. The cliche "It's too quiet" has much more truth than most people appreciate.

So the first "exercise" is to actually listen to the world around you. This is not a do it once or twice exercise, you need to practice it consistently; you are building a mental "muscle."

More Practical Advice

So, you've got your script and you've got a good idea of what you want to do with it. You've planned out some shape to your film, where most of the climaxes are going to be and maybe you've even got some a few specific and/or rough ideas for some sound design or at least some sound FX in some of the scenes. Even with a lot of experience, it's unlikely you are going to be able to form an accurate “vision” of exactly what the sound design for every scene will be. How do you plan for something (sound design) if you don't know what it is yet? The answer is that you plan to allow for the provision of sound design and here is a practical tip for how to do that:

For each scene, think about basic layers of sound and then plan your shots to make sure you provide some opportunity and visual support for one or more sounds in each of these layers.

1. Environmental backgrounds: In the example scene our location was an intensive care room and the environmental background was the hospital. Maybe your location is a room in a house but where is the house? Hopefully it's near a bus or train line or station, an airport, a school, factory or workshop, a construction site or a farm. Maybe we have a shot which establishes this environment before we cut to the interior and/or maybe we can see some of this environment through a window in the interior scene.

2. Local backgrounds: Background sounds in or directly adjacent to our location. A clock, TV, music system, heating or sewage pipes, a washing machine, some food cooking, photocopier, printer or other office machines. Try to avoid things which produce an electrical hum or drones though, fridges, air con, etc. In film these can easily be misinterpreted as sonic errors rather than deliberate SFX. In our example scene, the heart monitor would be an example of a local background sound.

3. Foley: Provide the opportunity for movement and sonic interest with Foley. Clothing rustle, jewellery movement, foot movements/steps, tapping or other fidgeting, especially of the character or characters you want the audience to focus on. In our example scene, the note taking and clothes rustling are examples of the use of Foley.

The next step in the planning of your scene is to maybe create an opportunity for change in one or more of the environmental or local backgrounds, to heighten or reduce tension. Maybe during an argument someone goes and opens a window, switches on or off a TV or music system, gets a glass of water and leaves the door to the kitchen open, etc. An example of this in our scene would be when Marilyn briefly almost passes out, providing the opportunity to change the sound of the heart monitor.

Remember, just because we see a clock, pipes or other potential sources of sound in a scene doesn't mean we have to hear them all the time or even ever hear them! If they are present in at least one of the camera angles, at least we have the option of employing that sound FX.

One last thing you may have noticed is that during filming our sound FX requirements appear very much at odds with our dialogue requirement. During filming we want as quiet an environment as possible to capture clean dialogue, but for the sound design of our scene we want a noisy environment or rather, the potential to create a noisy environment. You may need to work closely with your production sound mixer to imply the presence of background SFX and Foley during filming, without actually having any, or at least without recording it! This might be as simple as having a music system playing but with the speakers unplugged or having an establishing exterior shot transition to an interior in a completely different location. Occasionally it might mean having to rely upon ADR, particularly in the case of exterior scenes. Far better to plan for ADR during pre-production and filming, where you might be able to mitigate it's use with lavs, alt takes and wild tracks, rather than only having the option of potentially expensive and artistically unsatisfying studio recorded ADR during audio post.

G

Last edited:
Could I ask a favor? Would you critique my latest video?

Maybe a better place for this would be the screening room and then sending me a PM to critique it. I will say though that sound design is essentially a story telling tool, to enhance, extend and involve the audience in the implied or explicit emotions of the story and the characters in it. Your video has no story, or at least no story I'm aware of. Until it does have a story and until I as a sound designer knows what that story is, there's nothing I can do or suggest to help.

G

One last thing you may have noticed is that during filming our sound FX requirements appear very much at odds with our dialogue requirement. During filming we want as quiet an environment as possible to capture clean dialogue, but for the sound design of our scene we want a noisy environment or rather, the potential to create a noisy environment. You may need to work closely with your production sound mixer to imply the presence of background SFX and Foley during filming, without actually having any, or at least without recording it!
For an example of exactly what you describe here, the DVD (and likely BluRay) extras for THE SOCIAL NETWORK include how the opening scene was shot over and over again of Zuckerberg & girlfriend conversing in a bar.
In the film it looks and "sounds" about right.
Their conversation can be clearly heard amid the din of background... walla, (I believe that's the appropriate term. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Walla)

Yeah, but the scene certainly wasn't recorded that way.

Everyone in the background is all hushed and quite while actively engaged in their mute faux conversations while the audio crew is really just recording only the conversation between the primary subjects, Z & GF.

I've seen this in several other BTS extras, but which ones escape me at the moment.

Basically, just think of any large social event, like ball room dances.
Don't think the director really has the camera running and audio guys recording ACTUAL music blaring in the location/soundstage/space while everyone dances or whatnot.
No.
All that musical audio, cheering and laughing is replacing a bunch of soft foot and clothes rustling amid a pretty much quiet set.

Instruct your background actors to ACT as if engaged in animated conversation and whatnot while you actually audio record only your principles having their conversation.
Record that dialog clean.
Add in din + walla + glass clinks + chair scoots and such while editing.

Last edited:
For each scene, think about basic layers of sound and then plan your shots to make sure you provide some opportunity and visual support for one or more sounds in each of these layers.

A director with whom I work occasionally - who also happens to a the dean of media at a local college - makes the suggestion that you do one script rewrite as if it were a radio play. BTW, he also suggests that you do a rewrite as a silent film with no dialog at all so you are entirely dependent upon sound and vision to tell the story.

A director with whom I work occasionally - who also happens to a the dean of media at a local college - makes the suggestion that you do one script rewrite as if it were a radio play. BTW, he also suggests that you do a rewrite as a silent film with no dialog at all so you are entirely dependent upon sound and vision to tell the story.

I know you know this Alcove but for the benefit of others:

The above suggestion is an excellent exercise to achieve one particular goal, to get students to start thinking in terms of telling a story with sound rather than with visuals. In other respects though it's a poor exercise because it misses the point of sound design, which is how the sound and picture interact. This might sound like an esoteric or semantic point but in practise it's a fundamental consideration which dominates almost every aspect of sound design and the mixing process. What we perceive (experience) from the visuals we are seeing is affected and altered by what we are hearing and just as importantly from a sound designer's perspective, what we hear is affected and changed by what we are seeing. There is no better explanation or demonstration of this phenomena than this http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G-lN8vWm3m0.

If instead of watching the example scene as I suggested, you listen to it for the first time on it's own, without the visuals, you would almost certainly have noticed a number of faults and inconsistencies, although it's difficult to do now because you know the visuals. In many places the sound alone is rather strange, wrong or unbelievable. In various places we hear lip smacks which are louder than the dialogue, we hear whispers which are louder and closer than the buzzer (which almost sounds as if it's in another room), the volume levels and relative distance of some words and lines of dialogue are completely unrealistic as is the balance (relative volume) of some of the Foley and other sound FX. Just listening to the sound alone, do you notice now how the sound of the new heart monitor alert suddenly gets louder at 03:27, the EQ changes, then it gradually gets louder still until it is reduced back to where it was under Pat's dialogue. This is NOT realistic and is NOT designed to be realistic!!! It's designed to be believable, not realistic and the difference between realistic and believable exists because of how our perception of what we are hearing is being affected by what we are seeing (and of course vice versa). If the example scene had been intended as a radio play (IE. Without visuals) we would have designed and mixed the sound very differently.

We may now have finally arrived at a much more precise definition of "Sound Design". Sound design can be defined as all the sonic properties of the soundtrack which are designed to lie beyond the boundary of reality, for the purpose of storytelling (audience manipulation). Good sound design therefore always exists between the boundary of reality and the boundary of believability. This definition is more accurate than our previous definition because it indicates the difference between sound design and sound editing/mixing. It is this definition of sound design which leads me to conclude that the vast majority of no/low budget films contain either little or absolutely no sound design, because the filmmakers are attempting (with varying levels of success) to recreate a sonic reality. Even with great skill and resources, the very best which can be achieved with this approach to sound is a finished film where the sound does not reduce the audience's perception of the visuals. In contrast, sound design exists solely to greatly enhance the audience's perception of the visuals!

G

Last edited:
Many thanks for bringing your Sound Design thread to my attention, A.P.E. Looks to be chockablock with invaluable information, much of which I am unfamiliar with. I'm looking forward to combing through this at length. The timing is perfect.

Back