• READ BEFORE POSTING!
    • If posting a video, please post HERE, unless it is a video as part of an advertisement and then post it in this section.
    • If replying to threads please remember this is the Promotion area and the person posting may not be open to feedback.

watch The Island (2010)

There's a thread in "On the set" I think that shows various stages of construction. I'll try to dig it up

Here it is:

Set Photos

Shot it on an HVX200a with a redrock micro adapter for nikon lenses at 1080i, 24P. Probably my last film on that camera. It's pretty good, but not quite the look I want. Time to upgrade.

What would you like to upgrade to? I think the camera gave you a very filmic look, for this. Not like video at all, but more akin to a high quality black and white film.

I liked this very much - the shots, the sound, the set - all of it. Your second short? Your comments about color correction, sound design, etc., show the insight of a mature filmmaker. I'm very curious about what your background is. Sure it helps having a good crew, but you've exhibited a command of style that a lot of "regular folks" take years to achieve.

What sets THE ISLAND apart is filmmaking subtlety - the blowing papers, the slow camera dolly, with the grass in the foreground (at the beginning), the rack focus between the characters when Tom asks Katie how she survived, the set details and the writing - from the overall concept to details like Tom spraying the toilet before letting Katie in. Heck, until the credits, I was sure that you violated a bunch of copyrights with the music and album covers. I'm impressed as hell that you had them made for the movie!

The only thing missing that I wanted to see was Tom using the bike to recharge a battery. My wife and I have long talked about that cool concept - having to pedal generate electricity to power the TV that we watch, thus staying healthy and creative.

I think this movie should stand as a prime example of good, basic filmmaking - steady and well composed shots, using editing to move through the scene. None of the long take shaky-cam crap that overly permeates so much low budget fare. You set reachable goals for producing your concept. Great job!

Thanks for that link, Scoops. I totally missed that thread earlier in the year.

Great to see bts pics compared to actual shots.

Ya know.. if there was one film in 2010 that challenged anyone to raise their game, this short was it. :cool:

Alright, several of you saw the set photos for this movie, and watched along with the construction process, well here it is.

http://vimeo.com/17683897

Quality is decent, took a 4GB .mov down to a 493 MB MP4 for vimeo, turned out OK.

I'll never act in my own movie again. My performance is actually pretty good if I do say so myself, but I had to trust the DP and 1st AD more than I am comfortable with, and they didn't always come through on the level I feel I could have myself.

Password protected because even though many festivals don't care, a few do, and not ready for it to be freely available on the web yet.

Password: tomandkatie

Password not working ??? do i need to have an account??

Here it is:

Set Photos

What would you like to upgrade to? I think the camera gave you a very filmic look, for this. Not like video at all, but more akin to a high quality black and white film.

I liked this very much - the shots, the sound, the set - all of it. Your second short? Your comments about color correction, sound design, etc., show the insight of a mature filmmaker. I'm very curious about what your background is. Sure it helps having a good crew, but you've exhibited a command of style that a lot of "regular folks" take years to achieve.

What sets THE ISLAND apart is filmmaking subtlety - the blowing papers, the slow camera dolly, with the grass in the foreground (at the beginning), the rack focus between the characters when Tom asks Katie how she survived, the set details and the writing - from the overall concept to details like Tom spraying the toilet before letting Katie in. Heck, until the credits, I was sure that you violated a bunch of copyrights with the music and album covers. I'm impressed as hell that you had them made for the movie!

The only thing missing that I wanted to see was Tom using the bike to recharge a battery. My wife and I have long talked about that cool concept - having to pedal generate electricity to power the TV that we watch, thus staying healthy and creative.

I think this movie should stand as a prime example of good, basic filmmaking - steady and well composed shots, using editing to move through the scene. None of the long take shaky-cam crap that overly permeates so much low budget fare. You set reachable goals for producing your concept. Great job!

I appreciate your kind words sir.

As far as the camera, it looks good on the big screen, but even the Blu Ray version has a bit of noise when it's blown up that big. That HVX is only 1440 by 1080, and when you blow it up 30' wide it gets a little noisey. I'm ready to move up to something that's true 19020 X 1080 24P, without losing the lovely textures of nice glass.

I have a bit of a photography background, just as a hobbyist. I'm also a movie fan. I think my age has a lot to do with it on a couple of levels. I'm 45, so I've had a lot of years of watching films, and deconstructing them in my head. I also think my age gives me a more mature insight into life that the average 25 year old. Now they probably bring things as far as energy and freshness to the table that I don't have, but there are advantages to each.

Also, as a 45 year old, the clock is running if I am actually going to do this. I don't have a lot of years to mess around making experimental shorts, doing trial and error stuff. I have to take each one of these shorts as a make or break project that MUST advance me as a filmmaker both as far as my own skills, as well as demonstrating to potential employers or financers that I am the real deal.

Mt aesthetic is retro for sure. I hate a bunch of shaky handheld, and think that tension and movement created with the edit of classic stationary shots is a "higher" art.

I was lucky to have a very talented crew, and I absolutely have to give them a lot of credit as well.

There is a longer scene of him charging the batteries with the bike. It was a casualty of trying to cut the original 40 minute rough cut down to under 25.

Last edited:
taking lot of tiem for streaming. No ide ai will be able to see this right now. please incase if you change the password again do let me know..

:(

Movie is looking great. Hope and wish i can see it completely

I have a bit of a photography background, just as a hobbyist. I'm also a movie fan. I think my age has a lot to do with it on a couple of levels. I'm 45, so I've had a lot of years of watching films, and deconstructing them in my head.

Thanks for the insight. I am an immature 46 year old, so I recognize a definite talent about you. :lol: Your attention to detail in all categories is impressive. I do agree about age, though. Most of the films I've made were overreaching and had little regard to the finesse part of the craft. It has only been recently where I flatly decided "if I'm going to make a movie, make every shot believable or don't do the shot."

Mt aesthetic is retro for sure. I hate a bunch of shaky handheld, and think that tension and movement created with the edit of classic stationary shots is a "higher" art.

Good for you. These days, that is like a breath of fresh air. I don't mind seeing some pizzazz in an action sequence, but I hate the "fidgety, A.D.D. director syndrome," where they have to whip-pan or quick-zoom in mid-sentence. If the content is written well, you don't need gimmicks to keep the audiences' attention.

Thanks to everyone who watched. Killing the password this morning. I just wanted to get some general reaction from you guys. It will be available online permanently sometime this spring.

Back