• Wondering which camera, gear, computer, or software to buy? Ask in our Gear Guide.

The 'Ideas you will never write' thread

I imagine many interested in screenwriting (Like myself) have extra ideas that we will just never write.
It might be fun to toss out loglines or taglines or concepts of these extra ideas so that maybe someone else could use them to write a script.

Please add yours.

When a cruel study of serial killer behavior goes horribly wrong, a group of research monkeys escape into the Florida Everglades. Now only one man can track, capture and return them to the lab -their deplorable scientist trainer.
--Monkey See Monkey Kill!

-Thanks-

Last edited:
The Cartellini Killer

A prominent Director pours his heart into a movie that ends up an utter flop. Released from a mental institution years later, he's hired as a grip. A grip with the worst of intentions.

Buh, bum--buuhhhh

I have this stupid idea of actually trying to write every idea that comes along. A lot of it never gets past the rough stages, but the willingness to entertain as much as possible has still managed to give me some great stories, poems, scripts and the like.

Well I'm into documentaries so I thought of:

10 Days 10 Nights. A young expat in Shanghai has to sleep with 10 women in as many nights. Can he do it?

My Better Half. A man gets paid 50,000 dollars to intensively muscle train ONLY the left half of his body. We follow him on his ups and downs.

1000 Midgets Vs a Mexican. Pretty self-explanatory.

10 Days 10 Nights. A young expat in Shanghai has to sleep with 10 women in as many nights. Can he do it?

My Better Half. A man gets paid 50,000 dollars to intensively muscle train ONLY the left half of his body. We follow him on his ups and downs.

"my better half" with steroids & a midget:lol:.......that would rock......

Imagine a Bruckheimer-produced Micheal Bay Summer Blockbuster about the second coming of Christ. He has come to judge the living and the dead, and must battle Satan's minions for control of Earth. It's a huge action movie, with Jesus as our action hero. And, it's a buddy-cop movie, and Jesus' sidekick/partner is just some regular schmuck.

A ______________ wants to _______________.

To stimulate the noobs..

You can start at either end. Have a situation and try different characters.

A ______________ wants to rid the world of skinny people.

• An obese former top fashion model wants to rid the world of skinny people.
  • A conflicted bulimic wants to rid the world of skinny people.
  • In the hunt for ever increasing profits, a fast food corporation wants to rid the world of skinny people.

or start at the other end, character looking for situation..

A High School Science teacher wants to _____________.
  • A High School Science teacher wants to open an underground abortion clinic in 1950 Mississippi.
  • A High School Science teacher wants to end her affair with a teenage student.
  • A High School Science teacher, with the help of a former student, wants to manufacture and distribute designer drugs as part of a twisted social engineering experiment.

Good framework, and then say what's stopping them.

A _____________ wants to _____________ , but ______________

Jesus wants to return to Earth for the already long overdue second coming, but ____________

*​

A High School Science teacher wants to open an underground abortion clinic in 1950 Mississippi, but a group of AK-47 toting Bible thumpers get wind of the plan.

A High School Science teacher wants to end her affair with a teenage student, but he has photos AND SOUND, he's threatening to upload.

A High School Science teacher, with the help of a former student, wants to manufacture and distribute designer drugs as part of a twisted social engineering experiment, but ___________________ .

*​

After that I would put the stakes or a time limit or both. It's not essential but it helps.

*​

A High School Science teacher wants to open an underground abortion clinic in 1950 Mississippi, but a group of AK-47 toting Bible thumpers get wind of the plan. Will he ____________ before _____________ , or will ______________________ ?

A High School Science teacher wants to end her affair with a teenage student, but he has photos AND SOUND, he's threatening to upload. Will she stop him before she loses _____________________ ?

A High School Science teacher, with the help of a former student, wants to manufacture and distribute designer drugs as part of a twisted social engineering experiment, but ______________________ hangs in the balance. He's got less than a week to __________________ before _________________________.

A Workable Formula:

A ___________________ wants to _________________, but (OBSTACLE). (NAME THE STAKES) (NAME POTENTIAL NEGATIVE OUTCOME) (NAME TIMEFRAME)

I think you could cram nearly any successful film into the above framework.

The Rebels want to deactivate the Death Star, but Darth Vader and the Emperor are resisting fiercely. The fate of the galaxy hangs in the balance. If the don't get the plans to the base thousands of planets will fall to tyranny. Will they suceed before the Death Star is completed?

Last edited:
A High School Science teacher wants to end her affair with a teenage student, but he has photos AND SOUND, he's threatening to upload.

whew, Im glad you added the "AND SOUND" else AlcoveAudio would be in here with his gentel persuasion about how "SOUND IS HALF THE EXPERIENCE" ;) (just playing Alcove, dont beat me with that U87 you've got in your hand! FYI: If you don't stop playing with it, your gonna go deaf!)

Good framework, and then say what's stopping them.

A _____________ wants to _____________ , but ______________

Jesus wants to return to Earth for the already long overdue second coming, but ____________

*​

A High School Science teacher wants to open an underground abortion clinic in 1950 Mississippi, but a group of AK-47 toting Bible thumpers get wind of the plan.

A High School Science teacher, with the help of a former student, wants to manufacture and distribute designer drugs as part of a twisted social engineering experiment, but ___________________ .

*​

After that I would put the stakes or a time limit or both. It's not essential but it helps.

*​

A High School Science teacher wants to open an underground abortion clinic in 1950 Mississippi, but a group of AK-47 toting Bible thumpers get wind of the plan. Will he ____________ before _____________ , or will ______________________ ?

A High School Science teacher wants to end her affair with a teenage student, but he has photos AND SOUND, he's threatening to upload. Will she stop him before she loses _____________________ ?

A High School Science teacher, with the help of a former student, wants to manufacture and distribute designer drugs as part of a twisted social engineering experiment, but ______________________ hangs in the balance. He's got less than a week to __________________ before _________________________.

A Workable Formula:

A ___________________ wants to _________________, but (OBSTACLE). (NAME THE STAKES) (NAME POTENTIAL NEGATIVE OUTCOME) (NAME TIMEFRAME)

I think you could cram nearly any successful film into the above framework.

The Rebels want to deactivate the Death Star, but Darth Vader and the Emperor are resisting fiercely. The fate of the galaxy hangs in the balance. If the don't get the plans to the base thousands of planets will fall to tyranny. Will they suceed before the Death Star is completed?

That's some good logline advice, right there.

Make it a Mexican wrestler, and you've got yourself a deal.

That's some good logline advice, right there.

Thanks. I'm a newb in most aspects of filmmaking, but I've studied scripts and writing for a few years. I was just throwing out ideas, I have no idea if what I was saying is old news or not.

To me, that formula looks like the real deal. It's just Mamet's rules with a couple of things attached.

Back