The History Channel...

There is a focus here on domestic US television, which is rather simplistic as we are talking about large multi-national corporations. For example, the CNN we see here in Europe is not the same CNN you see in the US, not only much of the content but also the style of reporting can be quite different on CNN here. The same is true to varying degrees of Nat Geographic, the History Channel and Discovery Channels.

I experienced a practical example of this in my own work. About a decade ago I was involved with a high budget documentary series for Discovery Channel. The series was at times highly critical of the UK government and media as well as of the governments and media of a number of European, Middle Eastern and South American countries and also at times of the government of the USA. The series was aired in Europe with a considerable amount of hype but ended up never (AFAIK) being broadcast in the US. Discovery Channel felt that US audiences were not so open to or tolerant of criticism/self criticism and that airing the series in the US could cause a storm of "anti-patriotic" criticism against the channel from the US public, media and politicians.

G

Ha, us right wing gun nuts KNOW that main stream media is WAY left. Even fox is too left.

you elitist lefty's just assume that your correct. Thus, any reinforcement of the leftist ideals is considered main stream and hence your perception of where "center" is is already skewed way left compared to the what is actually center of the "Totalitarian communism <----> Anarchy for all" continuum.

far right = no government, center = some government, far left = all government
far right = no welfare, center = some welfare, far left=all welfare
far right = religious freedom, center=limited religious freedom, far left=state as religion

Your comments place you far left, nowhere near the center.

|
|

The best TV comes out of the US
The best movies come out of the US
The best music comes out of the US
US's biggest export IS our culture, and thank god for it.

I think you guys are mistaking content for delivery of content.

Left or right, liberal or conservative, doesn't matter.
Just tell the [expletive] news you've elected to report.
But just keep the brainless blather out of it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j7mt_dCJCQk

Where, oh where, do they come up with this outlandish idea Fox News is absurd, I wonder?

ah, but content creation and delivery are vertically integrated. The most obvious example comes from apple, iTunes, ATT&T alliance.

media conglomerate want to control content -> delivery .. its natural for them.

GE->NBC->NBCUniversal (comcast) is just one example.. thats creation to delivery buddy..

which begs the question..

can you really have "freedom of speech" if the most relevant method of delivering that "speech" is controlled by a few corporations?

Watch out, vertical integration is coming to the net.. if we don't fight it. Luckily, unlike the early days of telephone, radio and movies, the USERS, me and you, might be able to break the cycle of information empire!

But how long did they get by with just historical documentaries?

A very large portion of their programming was "old stuff" that they repackaged, and they reformatted some old PBS docs as well - it didn't cost much to retread "The World At War," for example. They did gave a serious try to cashing in on current culture, like doing "The Real 300" when the film "300" was out; they found it was expensive to keep up with very tight scheduling deadlines - historical recreations aren't cheap to begin with! Those types of programs did attract an audience, but they quickly tuned out when the rest of the channels programming wasn't as current. Other shows that would investigate an occurrence (Kennedy Assassination) or artifact (Shroud of Turin) would give a great build-up, and the information usually was interesting, but they would fail with the pay-off which was almost always "well, maybe yes, but more likely no; it will take more study." Audiences expect a happy ending, or at the least a conclusion, so audiences didn't want to chance another let-down.

The best TV comes out of the US
The best movies come out of the US
The best music comes out of the US
US's biggest export IS our culture, and thank god for it.

I'm sorry?

The US is by far the biggest consumer of culture in the world, and, as a result, it produces a large amount to meet its demand, whilst also consuming from other nations.

The highest quality content (per capita) has, and is, being produced in Europe. The greatest artists in history are French and Italian, the greatest writers are British, the greatest composers Russian, Polish, Italian, French...etc. Europe is the home of culture- the home of Shakespeare, Mozart and Van Gogh- and the US has spent its brief history trying to replicate that.

The US makes good TV, the US makes good movies, and the US makes good music, but the BEST of these things are being made all over the world and chowed down upon by the US market.

There is a focus here on domestic US television, which is rather simplistic as we are talking about large multi-national corporations. For example, the CNN we see here in Europe is not the same CNN you see in the US, not only much of the content but also the style of reporting can be quite different on CNN here.

This is so true. When I was living in Poland I got my news through BBC and CNN. And the only difference was CNN had some American accents on it.

That was the year of Janet Jackson's nip slip and I think it got all of 15 minutes of coverage. Meanwhile in the US...

The US is by far the biggest consumer of culture in the world, and, as a result, it produces a large amount to meet its demand, whilst also consuming from other nations.

:lol: America is "the culture Borg."
borg1.gif

Awesome! Glad to be along for the intergalactic ride! The Borg are the coolest Trek Villains next to Khan.

If

US is the largest consumer of content

AND

The most popular content (i.e.TV shows) in US are US made.

http://www.tvguide.com/top-tv-shows

Then it logically follows that US produces the most preferred (i.e. best) content.

"well, they're still big in Japan" is a joke we yanks use to make fun of old rock bands that have lost their following in the US.

Is the US the biggest consumer of TV content? Bigger than India or China, possibly.

If so, according to your list and definition of best, the second best TV show in the world is American Idol. I think your definition of "best" and mine are somewhat different. I personally don't define most popular as "best", in TV, music or just about anything. I'm sure Macdonald's is more popular than Lobster Thermidor and that a Ford Fiesta is more popular than a Ferrari but I know what I'd rather be eating, driving and watching! The US has made some great TV and some great films but there is great TV to be found outside the US as well. And sometimes, due to politics, risk management, conservatism or other inhibiting factors in the US other countries produce content which is even better than US content!

G

Back