The Future of Film

It's just a temporary result of market shrinkage.

When I opened my store it was with one of the biggest and most successful local chains in the industry. Within the two years I operated my store, seven other stores in this franchise closed before I had to shut my doors as well. Within two years of me closing my store, the franchise had shrunk to just ten stores state-wide, down from roughly a hundred.

Combined with the big international and national chains closing 90% of their stores, the remaining stores actually saw an upsurge in business. This was simply due to the available market being concentrated on the remaining stores. The upsurge was enough to maintain a business and even expand libraries; you may have noticed a big influx of older and weekly titles especially due to the sudden and massive availability of stock.

But it is still slowly declining. The key element there is slowly. The only thing that has changed is that the sharp decline of the last few years has levelled out somewhat. I pretty much guarantee you, though, that in another five years time there won't be any such thing as a 'brick and mortar' DVD or even Blu-Ray rental store.

It's sad for me because the video store for me was a kind-of refuge where I'd go to hide from the world and live amongst the fantasies of film. I love movies and grew up renting betamax, then VHS, then DVD's and then owning my own store to now, where even I download movies from iTunes.

But, that's progress. Hate it all you want, we're all going to move forward and embrace the next step whether we like it or not. I'm just curious what that next step will be.

I'm not sure why anyone would "resist" Netflix. It's a great deal, and their collection is immense. I've got a couple hundred on my queue right now.

I'm not sure why anyone would "resist" Netflix. It's a great deal, and their collection is immense.

As a small-budget independent filmmaker I "resist" NetFlix (and RedBox) because they screw small-budget independent filmmakers out of their royalties, that's why. While I realize that brick-and-mortar stores don't pay royalties to filmmakers, either, they also don't serve the entire country (world?) with only a few copies of a movie.

Plus, like Josiah, I enjoy browsing the shelves and reading box covers for movies I've never even heard of.

Also like Josiah mentioned, the young lady manning the checkout counter is much nicer to interact with than my cold computer monitor. :yes:

As a small-budget independent filmmaker I "resist" NetFlix (and RedBox) because they screw small-budget independent filmmakers out of their royalties, that's why. While I realize that brick-and-mortar stores don't pay royalties to filmmakers, either, they also don't serve the entire country (world?) with only a few copies of a movie.

Plus, like Josiah, I enjoy browsing the shelves and reading box covers for movies I've never even heard of.

Also like Josiah mentioned, the young lady manning the checkout counter is much nicer to interact with than my cold computer monitor. :yes:

And that's the important thing, right? ;):D

I'm not sure why anyone would "resist" Netflix. It's a great deal, and their collection is immense. I've got a couple hundred on my queue right now.

Much like going to the theatre it's an experience. Walking the aisles, picking up the physical product, reading the back of the box, etc...

I still don't have a netflix account, but my girlfriend does.

And that's the important thing, right? ;):D

Much like going to the theatre it's an experience. Walking the aisles, picking up the physical product, reading the back of the box, etc...

You are both SO right! We're becoming a nation of friggin' hermits. Soon we'll never have to leave the house.

All people do anymore is surf the Internet, watch TV and talk/text on cell phones. No wonder there's so much hatred and stupidity in this country. People so rarely interact with each other face-to-face, they've lost any sense of what it means to be a human being.

I am reminded of Shatner on SNL: "Get a life!...Have you ever kissed a girl?!" :lol:

I do see that smaller stores are hanging in there as the chains
fail so there is some hope. It rests with "we the people", doesn't
it. We all need to go to a store and rent some DVD's. Ween
ourselves from, "I'll add it to my queue."

Yes, I agree. We should all get back into going to the video store! It would be great to see DVDs pick up again. I don't know, maybe I'm blinded by my hope. But I think I'm going to send out emails to everyone I know to get people to GO TO THE VIDEO STORE!

2001 Productions;174708]All people do anymore is surf the Internet, watch TV and talk/text on cell phones. No wonder there's so much hatred and stupidity in this country. People so rarely interact with each other face-to-face, they've lost any sense of what it means to be a human being.

I completely agree, 2001!

Last edited:
There's a great rental place here called Facets that specializes in indie films and also has screenings. They are thriving thanks, in part, to their hipster niche and the large local population. But the interesting thing about them is they are also running their own netflix-like mail service. So it's like if netflix was mainly indie movies, but you could get delivery as well as go to a physical store if you're feeling impatient. Pretty cool.

http://www.facetsmovies.com/

I just got out of a "roundtable" at work. Some highlights.

1. The studios are 100% married to the physical product. They do NOT want it to go away, and will fight for it's continued existence.

2. You will see more and longer "windows" between release of the physical product and it's availability for digital download from netflix or elsewhere. Most are talking 30 to 60 day windows.

3. Redbox is about to get pretty heavy into stocking video games in their kiosks in a a desperate search for product as the studios both impose windows on them and refuse to sell them top new release product.

I just got out of a "roundtable" at work. Some highlights.

1. The studios are 100% married to the physical product. They do NOT want it to go away, and will fight for it's continued existence.

2. You will see more and longer "windows" between release of the physical product and it's availability for digital download from netflix or elsewhere. Most are talking 30 to 60 day windows.

3. Redbox is about to get pretty heavy into stocking video games in their kiosks in a a desperate search for product as the studios both impose windows on them and refuse to sell them top new release product.

Yay! For once I'm on the side of the studios (you heard it here first, kids)!

I'm not sure why anyone would "resist" Netflix.

Some of us resist it out of solidarity to the indie filmmaking community.
Kind of like those who resisted downloading music for free. Futile perhaps.
But I resist it for the same reason 2001 does. It has really hurt no budget
filmmakers. Even those who have their movies available see no money
from them. It's cool that people like you get to see them, it's bad that people
like me can't sell a movie for enough to make another.
Yes, I agree. We should all get back into going to the video store! It would be great to see DVDs pick up again. I don't know, maybe I'm blinded by my hope. But I think I'm going to send out emails to everyone I know to get people to GO TO THE VIDEO STORE!
And if we can get people to GO TO A THEATER in support of smaller movies....

I can't tell anybody here about the Future Of Film. But I can tell you a thing or two about the DVD film market here in the UK.

I work in the only remaining chain of entertainment stores, called HMV. We have a website, so you can view what we do there if you wish. The point is, i've worked there for three years and six monthd now. It was only about a year ago, when we started losing money. Not that we're not making a profit, but our share prices have plunged as shareholders have lost confidence in the products (because supermarkets and internet shops are selling new releases cheaper) and we're generally not achieving like for like sales (not matching last years). We're barely making budget most days in my store, and we're one of the larger stores that the company depends on to stay afloat. You know how it is. 200+ non profit stores, propped up by a few big dogs making the money, especially at Christmas.

Anyway, so the company is finally in trouble. It's been a long time coming. Like most trends, we're slightly behind the US. The company even bought a bookselling chain (Waterstones) and a few venues to secure its position as an entertainment retailer. But I can say with my hand on my heart, that our head office staff and managers, have absolutely no passion for the product. All they care about is marketing; pushing new releases; selling loyalty cards. If the ship sinks, that will be why. They've taken their eye off of the one thing that was special about our stores - we have an excellent, full range of back catalogue movies and albums.

When/IF we go out of business (the company has the backing of many of its suppliers in the event of a necessary bailout), there will be nowhere left in the UK for people to browse physical media beyond two, three years old max. I hope then they will regret saving a few quid down at the supermarket, when they could have been supporting a company that has been around almost since the beginning. The passion may have been forgotten in the top tiers, but the people on our shopfloors, people like myself, still have our hearts in the right place.

"Some of us resist it out of solidarity to the indie filmmaking community.
Kind of like those who resisted downloading music for free. Futile perhaps.
But I resist it for the same reason 2001 does. It has really hurt no budget
filmmakers. Even those who have their movies available see no money
from them. It's cool that people like you get to see them, it's bad that people
like me can't sell a movie for enough to make another."

Amen brother.

...and it would great if smaller theaters would exist in order to show Indie films. Not sure how feasible that is, but some oldschool style theaters with comfortable seats.

Or actually, I hear the drive-in scene is coming back?

...and it would great if smaller theaters would exist in order to show Indie films. Not sure how feasible that is, but some oldschool style theaters with comfortable seats.

I am finding more and more indie theaters are doing rentals and allowing Four Walling of indie films. There is at least 1 screening a month in Columbus Ohio now in real movie theaters, but independent.

Selling out 1 show for friends and family is easy. Selling out 5 shows a day for a few weeks takes P&A budget (Print and Advertising). How else are people going to know the movie exists and have enough of them pay to go see it to compete with the latest Will Smith, Brad Pitt, or Angelina Jolie film? More importantly, how can a movie theater justify losing money on a screen to show a low to no budget movie with no advertising instead of putting the latest blockuster on the same screen that has TV ads, star power, print ads, and even supplemental coverage from movie websites that don't give a rat's ass about indie films?

This was a huge problem for me in my store.

I had to pay a premium for DVD's direct from the distributor. I wasn't 'allowed' to buy elsewhere. Yet the same movie that cost me $40 would be sold in K-Mart the same day I got mine in store for $20.

The extremely rare titles that did have a small window were priced even worse. I had to pay about $50 (going from memory) for the new Rocky movie when it came out just because I had a month long window before it came out at retail venues.

It was definitely the studios and distributors that killed the rental industry. I mean, I place a lot of blame on piracy, for sure, but at the end of the day, I was being milked and it became simply impossible to make a profit. Consider that a new release movie that costs me $40 is then being rented out at $3 a night (I was part of a bargain chain, but even then the big names had deals that were competitive with this), it takes two weeks of consistent rentals on that one disc just to break even.

If the rental industry is to have any chance whatsoever, then it's the studios and distributors that need to reign in their greed and realise that the stores need to be viable businesses in order for there to even BE a market. They need to realise that rental stores are part of the whole industry which requires working together to be profitable, not as a source to milk until it's dry, which is exactly what they've done.

They should give 'licenses' to stores, possibly charging a small membership fee and require that you be an active rental outfit with a registered business and physical location for walk-in trade, and in turn give significant discounts to these stores on the order of about $15-20 per DVD (AUD).

Otherwise the numbers simply don't add up as is plainly self-evident with all the store closures.

Last edited:

I've been saying for years that movie admission prices should reflect the cost of the film. If you go to see the latest big-name band in concert, you're gonna pay ten times as much as if you went to see a local group perform.

Should be the same with movies. Charge $20 or more per ticket to see the latest blockbuster, less than that for a smaller film, relative to its cost. I believe that more people - especially adults - would go to the theater more often because it would be more affordable. If you pay the same for a ticket to a $200million extravaganza as you do to a $2million indie, most people are gonna go for the former.

The exhibitors would benefit because they make most of their money on concession sales anyway. The distributors would benefit because the big, expensive movies that everyone will go see regardless of the ticket price will pull in even more money.

I know, I know. Never happen.

Last edited:
I think the old rental/sell thru pricing structure (that went away with DVD) helped the retailer DDK. Most consumers aren't going to pay the $50 for a movie when it's stilll rental priced. They'll rent. They would only buy when it dropped to sell thru price of $19.95 or whatever. The studios screwed the video stores bigtime when they did away with the old pricing structure.

I am finding more and more indie theaters are doing rentals and allowing Four Walling of indie films. There is at least 1 screening a month in Columbus Ohio now in real movie theaters, but independent.

Selling out 1 show for friends and family is easy. Selling out 5 shows a day for a few weeks takes P&A budget (Print and Advertising). How else are people going to know the movie exists and have enough of them pay to go see it to compete with the latest Will Smith, Brad Pitt, or Angelina Jolie film? More importantly, how can a movie theater justify losing money on a screen to show a low to no budget movie with no advertising instead of putting the latest blockuster on the same screen that has TV ads, star power, print ads, and even supplemental coverage from movie websites that don't give a rat's ass about indie films?

I know in another lifetime, when I was in Toronto, there were tons of single screen theatres that often ran either art films-I know one I used to attend a couple of times a month had Animation showings, another had different monthly themes- but these were theatres that were individually owned and operated-and unfortunately the bigger chains were buying these old theatres up for whatever reason-and these things diminished.

I know in Sarnia, near where I live, we have a First Friday, and we have sometimes have the older theatres showing various art films of artists. It's not a lot, but it's something.

Back