The Expendibles -- Badly Filmed

With an all-star cast of action heroes, this movie should be all about the action. The problem is the filming of the action makes this movie one big waste of money. There are too many close-ups, night scenes were not filmed with enough light, and the action was cut too fast.

I wanted to see Corey Yeun's choreography of Jet Li better. But, the cuts were WAY too fast. :huh:

A weak story is the ill fate of too many action films. And, The Expendibles is no exception. :no:

Pass on this one gang.

This year, I believe Iron Man 2 is one of the best filmed action movies. :yes:

I'm hoping Resident Evil: After Life will be better than The Expendibles when it comes out next month. :)

Didn't see it but that's one thing I hate about modern action flicks. Extreme close-ups and fast cutting. I like the good ole' car chase type photography of yesteryear.

Hollywood follows trends..thats it... this kinda action style treatment came with bourne series and will stay unless some other guy makes something else work...

If Stallone disappointed you, pinning hopes on Paul WS Anderson is a BIG MISTAKE! ;)

I liked set pieces of expendables for what its worth.

With an all-star cast of action heroes, this movie should be all about the action. The problem is the filming of the action makes this movie one big waste of money. There are too many close-ups, night scenes were not filmed with enough light, and the action was cut too fast.

I wanted to see Corey Yeun's choreography of Jet Li better. But, the cuts were WAY too fast. :huh:

A weak story is the ill fate of too many action films. And, The Expendibles is no exception. :no:

Pass on this one gang.

This year, I believe Iron Man 2 is one of the best filmed action movies. :yes:

I'm hoping Resident Evil: After Life will be better than The Expendibles when it comes out next month. :)

I saw some 3D footage of Resident Evil on Saturday and to be honest it looked terrible. It was a fight scene and the CGI looked amateur as well as most of the shots. I wouldn't get your hopes up!

All I've heard about this is bad. I was SO excited when I first heard about it too. Jason Statham (mmm) Jet Li (wow) Bruce Willis (yippee-kay-I would watch grass grow if he was sitting on it) AND Arnold Schwarzenegger (OMG OMG OMG OMG OMG). And now it's been out for almost a week and I haven't seen it.
I don't really know that this is much of a contribution to the thread, I was just saying, I was super excited to see The Expendables and the more I heard about it, the less I cared. :(

I agree a few scenes could have been shot better. But overall it was a good action film and had some funny moments. I liked the cast and the humor. It was a fun movie.

Hollywood follows trends..thats it... this kinda action style treatment came with bourne series and will stay unless some other guy makes something else work...

If Stallone disappointed you, pinning hopes on Paul WS Anderson is a BIG MISTAKE! ;)

I liked set pieces of expendables for what its worth.

Interesting you should say that when Paul W.S. Anderson made the original Resident Evil a success. He has a habit of making sense of video game characters better than other directors.:huh:

He has a good track record with Mortal Kombat, Resident Evil, and Alien Vs. Predator.

Well what do u mean by success? Resident Evil is a franchise so irrespective of who directs it, box office wise it was gonna do well...
Personally being a huge fan of the games...Resident evil series is not good at all..just too formula based and sloppy... Resident Evil Degeneration on the other hand did the game justice..FINALLY!!
Its sad that the other video game directors include Uwe Boll so Paul WS looks Kuberick compared to him..lol
And AVP? Seriously?

its just my opinion anyways...peace

Me and Modern Day agree on something! Woohooo! It is unfortunate that we are agreeing on how lame a movie is, one that could've been awesome. I did not like "The Expendables" one bit.

As far as those Paul W.S. Anderson movies you mention, eh... maybe I should save my opinion on those.

Best Paul W.S. Anderson movie -- "Soldier"

There's a decent action movie in theaters right now (besides the obvious choice -- "Inception"). I really liked "Scott Pilgrim". The action is just okay, but it's freaking hilarious!

I can't say I'm surprised hearing negative feedback on The Expendibles, I wasn't planning on seeing it and this just cements my 'not planning on seeing it' stance. I'm not sure what it is about the film, it just seems brainless. Not that I don't like stupid moves (hell, I liked Doom and that's as stupid as it gets without a lobotomy) but something about The Expendibles just presses my inner 'no thank you' button.

With regards to Resi Evil, I will most assuredly be watching that. I have liked all three films so far, I think due to a misguided sense of loyalty to the games and to Milla Jovovich's legs more than any artistic merit the films hold.

Edit: Although I'm relatively certain Milla Jovovich's legs hold some artistic merit on their own.

Last edited:
Just to chime in...yes, too close fast edited action scenes and fight scenes annoy me. What are they covering up? It's too dizzying. The only movie I liked this in is Borne Identity.

I kind of feel like we're unfairly lumping "Identity" together with "Supremacy" and "Ultimatum". Completely different movies. In my opinion, "Bourne Identity" does not suffer from the ultra-close-too-fast syndrom; just the sequels.

It boggles my mind why Doug Liman wasn't hired back for the sequels. Did he have a falling out with the producers? The sequels are kinda cool, but they just don't hold a candle to the original. Doug Liman's take has equal amounts of suspense, real emotion, and heart-pounding action.

I kind of feel like we're unfairly lumping "Identity" together with "Supremacy" and "Ultimatum". Completely different movies. In my opinion, "Bourne Identity" does not suffer from the ultra-close-too-fast syndrom; just the sequels.

It boggles my mind why Doug Liman wasn't hired back for the sequels. Did he have a falling out with the producers? The sequels are kinda cool, but they just don't hold a candle to the original. Doug Liman's take has equal amounts of suspense, real emotion, and heart-pounding action.

I will have to agree and disagree. BI absolutely *does* suffer from too fast and too close--it's just not as bad as the others. And it's definitely my favorite of the three.

ummm sucess with Mortal Kombat??? and resident evil?? haveu seen Rebirth??
whatever ur smokin on give me some so i can be relaxed to

ummm sucess with Mortal Kombat??? and resident evil?? haveu seen Rebirth??
whatever ur smokin on give me some so i can be relaxed to

Paul W.S. Anderson only worked on the first Mortal Kombat, Resident Evil, and Alien Vs. Predator movies--not the sequels.

Afterlife will be one of the few sequels he returned to work on.

Have you compared the profit marginof Paul W.S. Anderson's video games turn big screen revenue against other video games adopted to movies?

I can still watch those movies and enjoy them.

Look at what happened to the sequel to Alien Vs. Predator when it fell into someone else's hands. The sequel tanked BIG time.

Last edited:
P.S. My role model would kick your role model's ass! I mean, like an actual fist-fight. Jimmy C might look like a gentle giant, but I'll bet he can throw down.

;)

Back