• READ BEFORE POSTING!
    • If posting a video, please post HERE, unless it is a video as part of an advertisement and then post it in this section.
    • If replying to threads please remember this is the Promotion area and the person posting may not be open to feedback.

watch THE DOCUMENTARY - 95 Driveways

Landing page for upcoming music video launch.

http://flickerpictures.com/95driveways.htm

Screen%20shot%202011-07-17%20at%2010.23.59%20AM.png

Really looking forward to seeing his. It's not often a still alone can sell it for me, but this one did the job! Very excited for the outcome.

That's a wrap! Last bit of footage in the can, will be incorporating it into the edit this morning, hoping to go live tonight. Stay tuned...

picture.php

Last edited:
It's the Final Outcome! Oh... wait... wrong song. :P Click link in OP or you can also click

http://WishingWellMusic.info

I can't promise the song will align with everyone's taste. To those I suggest maybe hit MUTE and pretend it's a silent flick. :pop: Although I can't promise the visuals will be to everyone's liking either. It is what it is. Those folks into Nirvana Unplugged or an art-house avant-garde vibe might dig it. As for the story? Let me know what you make of it.

This was definitely one of my favorite video/art projects to date. Roberto was quite the trooper -- for a non-actor and being a bit of a wallflower -- he was open to my whims and concepts; not only going along for the ride, but contributing to the pool of ideas as I dragged both of us down, deeper and deeper into the quagmire of the obtuse and abstract. In the end we had a blast.

There's so much footage that I didn't include in this video, we've talked about repurposing it into a short film that he scores. We'll see.

Once I get the design done we'll be releasing a double-disc set: a CD of his music and the DVD of the music video plus some extras. Hoping to get that wrapped up by Aug. 10th. More of that info on the website.

Thanks for taking a look and as always thanks for feedback of any kind.

Last edited:
I dug the hell out of this, both the song and especially the video. I'm researching some of the early avant-garde films of the '20s and found this very evocative of them (not in the "fetuses for the sake of fetuses" sense, but extreme images following a narrative).

VERY nicely done! Did you do this on your HV30?

Thanks UC. Shot on the HV20, 24p, with that nifty wide angle lens. ;)

"Cletus the Fetus" is one of those go-to props I've had for years. It was originally part of a friend's art installation (she made 100 of them) and now part of my art film collection.

Shot on the HV20, 24p, with that nifty wide angle lens.

Let this be an example then, for all those thinking DSLR is a must-have for making films: trusty old video cameras are people too.

Cletus the Fetus...that is wonderful.

Flickr this was awesome. I liked the images a lot, especially the liquid oozing through the guys hands, was that milk?

I need to get my hands on an HV-20 if that's what a finished product looks like. How difficult was lighting? A lot of it was dark, and I don't mean i couldn't see anything, I mean your scenes were dark and I'm curious how you were able to capture the images while maintaining that dark atmosphere.

Great job!

Flickr this was awesome. I liked the images a lot, especially the liquid oozing through the guys hands, was that milk?

White tempura paint. Non-toxic, kids could swim in the stuff. That's not the brand I used but that's the stuff. Easy clean up.

Lighting was tricky, and not my strength. I am not a DP in the traditional sense. The HV20 isn't great in dimly lit locations, so there was definitely gain in several shots and I boosted it in post. I played with shutter speeds which you can see on some shots (the guy laying between the candles, opening the garage door) but the best image quality (shots of Roberto singing into the camera, lit with a soft box) is shooting at 60 shutter speed.

If you can get an HV40, that's the ticket. It shoots TRUE 24p, without the 29.97 wrapper. Although I must admit, I wouldn't have said no to shooting with a DSLR. It's just I have the HV20 and need to make the most of it.

Best quality image is HD on Vimeo
http://vimeo.com/26938986

Thanks for watching.

Thats great, I watched it at work so no sound, but is it about a guy who maybe was part of an abortion and its eating him up? The lyrics to the song might tell a different story lol.

How does the HV40 do for dim settings? I'm always curious to see how people were able to capture an image while the environment around the actor was dark, like when he was pushing through the forest area, and when he pulls out the box from teh ground(everything around him is black except the wall behind him and himself-maybe thats a different technique) etc.

Also, how did you lay images on top of what you filmed, is that software for effects you used?

You definitely made the most of that HV. Congratulations.

The HV40 has the same sensor as the HV20, so it's no better (or worse) in low-light situations. That's where the DSLR (or DSL) cameras shine.

When editing I just used stock effects in Adobe Premiere and changed the OPACITY on a lot of the shots, then layered them in the timeline. For the shot where he's digging up the box I added a lighting effect (forgot the name of it) which vignettes an area around the center of the frame or wherever you want. Those shots were shot during the day and everything was bright.

Here's a screen grab of what the project looks like:

picture.php

My apologies for not sounding very technical about all this! I'm not very good at explaining the nuts and bolts... Glad you enjoyed it. :)

Cheers, Nick. I hope you're right!

I need to get my hands on an HV-20 if that's what a finished product looks like.

No! Not what I meant!

The finished product is the result of so many other factors besides the camera. Lighting and set design primarily, and post production.

All I meant was that professional results can be achieved with any camera you have access to.

No! Not what I meant!

The finished product is the result of so many other factors besides the camera. Lighting and set design primarily, and post production.

All I meant was that professional results can be achieved with any camera you have access to.

Yep. Do everything you can with all that you have. Should that be a GL1, a RED or an iPhone, just get out there and "stimulate the inventive powers." :)

To live a creative life, we must first lose our fear of being wrong.
~ Joseph Chilton Pearce​

Back