• READ BEFORE POSTING!
    • If posting a video, please post HERE, unless it is a video as part of an advertisement and then post it in this section.
    • If replying to threads please remember this is the Promotion area and the person posting may not be open to feedback.

The Clapper Bored- New/Improved!

My website is back up and running and is very much improved!

Massive thanks to chilipie for the design! :clap:

Click here for the new website!

Hot stuff, eh?

Click here for our Twitter!

Feel free to take a look round, please click on the Twitter button because at the moment it just says '1' which makes me look super lame and unpopular. Follow me on Twitter and Facebook as well! Because I think you know I'd do it for you... :secret:

If anyone here wants to contribute in anyway then that would be amazing. I am looking to publish some articles on Film Making in order to fill up some of the 60 GB of disk space I just purchased!

But anyhow a quick scan of the site would make me awful proud!

:cheers:

The clapper pieces overlap on the left.

What does the clapper bored mean?

I agree it looks way better. Good one.

Thanks, well, congratulate chilipie!

The clapper pieces overlap on the left.

Indeed they do, slightly. To be honest I haven't seen that many Clapper Boards in real life. I doubt anyone other than THE indietalk will notice :P

What does the clapper bored mean?

It is a pun on a clapper board. The idea is that because it is a film review website the word 'clapper' in addition to being the swinging bits on the board is someone who does this: :clap:

The 'Bored' bit is the homophone of the pun, suggesting that not all the reviews will be positive.

I am The Clapper and I am, usually, bored. :lol:

Hello unsuspecting IndieTalk members...

I've come to respect the opinions of people on this site and I have some questions for you.

At the moment I feel my site is a bit like movie Catfish- it's alright, but nothing special and however hard I promote it not that many people are going to see it... :P

So I was wondering if anyone here had any ideas as to how I can make it better... Would any of the following spark your interest:

-A Weekly YouTube Show (I'm a bit of a jackass with a camera, and not in the Jonny Knoxville way, so this probably wouldn't be brilliant)
-A Podcast (I could get some interesting interviews, but do people listen to podcasts?)
-A Forum (strongly disinclined towards this because I doubt that anyone would use it...)

They're all pretty standard ideas and I don't feel particularly innovative or clever :(

So if anyone can give me a smidgen of that IT ingenuity it would be super appreciated... :D

:cool:

Of those three ideas, I would think that a podcast sounds best. But only because you claim to not be able to deliver quality videos, which I highly doubt is the case. You could try and find local indie projects in the area and do some behind the scenes stuff, maybe?

hmm, I'm gonna give this some more thought and see what happens.

-A Podcast (I could get some interesting interviews, but do people listen to podcasts?)

This is the easiest in your list of choices, but it's also very hard work in itself. There are thousands of very well-intentioned podcast shows that die off before episode 3 ever rolls out. That's usually when the novelty (and initial warehouse of ideas) has died off.

Fwiw, I listen to a lot of podcasts. Gotta do something in that LA traffic, right? ;)

Try your hand at it, though. Even if you only get a few episodes out it'll be something to tack onto a resume for your production experiences... and maybe you'll get hired later to produce someone else's?

Good luck.

Of those three ideas, I would think that a podcast sounds best. But only because you claim to not be able to deliver quality videos, which I highly doubt is the case. You could try and find local indie projects in the area and do some behind the scenes stuff, maybe?

hmm, I'm gonna give this some more thought and see what happens.

I like this idea!!

The site is great though, and I really enjoyed it. By the way, I follow you on twitter now.

I think a podcast is the best idea. Even if you manage to attract a lot of people to a forum it's a lot of work to moderate and maintain it, and in my experience audio podcasts seems more popular than video ones.

My only suggestions - keep it short and sweet, and find someone to do it with. Anything over half an hour and a lot of people will be unable to listen to it in one sitting and may end up never listening to most of it. The best podcasts (I think) need that riffing between different people and the variety that gives it. Good luck!

Ahh, the website is looking great. Brilliant work, Chilipie!

As for the question, Nick. Podcasts will be your best bet, perhaps you find another member to join you who will be constant throughout, one whom has character and you can banter with etc. Offer new/Local film-makers interviews for their up and coming projects, advertising their work on your site.

Podcasts are very entertaining, or atleast i find them to be, but like Zen has mentioned, they have to be maintained, and develop. Alot of which relies on the character of those involved, and the diversity of the material.

I'll certainly listen if you happened to go with the idea.

Last edited:
The reviews are well written, i do get a strong sense of your character through how it is you offer opinion. Which is a huge plus for me, may i add. Alot of reviews remain faceless, and those behind merely vanish from my interest, as they tend to mask their personality behind often strict, critique.

I would say, if I'm able. That when you refer to other movies, if you could offer a "Go to" link, perhaps in the form of a clickable poster, or merely a hyper-link. The same could be said for the films that you are reviewing, although i fully understand that you do not want to stretch the page, and its structure. But a visual, even as simple as a letter-box cutting of the movie to sit beneath the title of your review, aswell as a "See trailer here" would go along way to broadening the appeal to those who are not avid readers andcould be intimidated by the yards of unyeilding text, aswell as those who are yet to see said movie, or could simply benefit of a simple refreshment of the material.

It was just a thought, Mr.Clapper. You're bookmarked, and i'll be checking regularly. :)

Last edited:
Hey thanks everyone for the thoughts! :D

@Dready: I am tempted by the video idea but I think I'm going to wait until I have software to develop this idea. It would be nice to be able to greenscreen it and what not. For now certainly I agree that the podcast is the strongest idea...

@Zensteve: Thank you for reaffirming my faith in the fact that people listen to podcasts! I thought that no one was listening any more, but alas one man changed that whole opinion... :D

@Danimalfilms: Followed you right back, sir! I use the Twitter quite a bit but I'm not convinced how good it is at directing traffic to my site... I still mainly get spam from similar Twitterers.

@Chilipie: I think the forum is a bum idea, because I'm happier here and at a couple of others and I'd feel like a thief if I tried to poach members from one, but if I didn't it wouldn't work...etc, it's a whole wheel of misfortune. I agree about two presenters: Ebert and Roeper, Mayo and Kermode...Further Example and Further Example :P

@PTP: I'm going to try and make the podcast as entertaining as possible. The great thing about Skype is that whilst I can interview local filmmakers you can also interview people on the other side of the world for free. Big Bonus. As for the link thing I do agree. I've been meaning for some time to switch over to italicising the names of movies referenced in the reviews, but just never got round to it. It's a great idea to link to a trailer and as soon as I work out how to do it I'll start implementing it as policy! Cheers for the recommendation and the bookmark!

Thanks all you guys and I think I'm going to run with this podcast idea. Could be fun, could be a whole load of stress... :P

That's show business.

I'm a big fan of embedded links in blogs. I like the idea of having every movie or scene you reference being a hyperlink to to a youtube clip of said scene or a trailer.

Cool! I plan on jumping in here with thoughts... just got back from some pre-pro stuff and playing catch up. I'll chime in soon :) At first blush, the site looks pretty good.

Your wish is my command :D

I have updated my Somewhere review ( www.theclapperbored.com ) with hyperlinks to trailers. How does that feel? Does it give off a good vibe? I think it's a shame they're red...

I think the red is a suitable fit, and it is very "User friendly" with the new links.

Still, i can't help but feel an image of some sort is needed, a screen shot, a promo poster...

But perhaps it's just me, what do you think folks?

NOTE:

On the subject of your podcasts, are you choosing to stream them live? This, i believe, would be a huge bonus, be it those being interviewed would ask people to tune in, friends/family/work chums, hopefully they'll take a liking and continue tuning in more often...

Although i would still offer them to download, but stress the live broadcast...

Last edited:
I think the red is a suitable fit, and it is very "User friendly" with the new links.

Still, i can't help but feel an image of some sort is needed, a screen shot, a promo poster...

But perhaps it's just me, what do you think folks?

Glad the red looks fine. I'm a little cautious about using images because I don't know who owns them and what not. On the whole I'd prefer to steer clear of having big images of each film every time I do a review, but I'd like to think of an alternative. I agree that it would add much needed colour, but at what price?

Papertwinproductions said:
On the subject of your podcasts, are you choosing to stream them live? This, i believe, would be a huge bonus, be it those being interviewed would ask people to tune in, friends/family/work chums, hopefully they'll take a liking and continue tuning in more often...

Although i would still offer them to download, but stress the live broadcast...

I'm afraid that I think a live stream is going to be wayyyy beyond the realms of my capabilities. It would only be on for about an hour a week, probably not at a uniform time, so checking in would be like trying to crack into Potterswatch...

I think having the downloadble Podcast is a start. Some day I envisage online radio as part of my unholy empire, but I think that might be a step too far for the time being :P

Thanks for the comments again everyone!

Back