The Big Move to Los Angeles

Hey guys, I'm new here. I'm moving to Los Angeles from Philadelphia in September and I was looking for any pointers or advice from people who live out there or are in the business.

I'm currently 23 years old, and work full time saving up money for my move. I'll have a decent amount by the summer. I have a bachelor's degree in Business Finance (I always knew I wanted to do film, this was more of the safe route), and minimal to no real film experience.

What would be the best way to go about finding an internship or entry level position in the industry once I move out there?

Also, good/bad areas to look to live in or keep clear of besides the obvious?

Any and all advice is appreciated!

Working full time definately takes away time I could be learning and reading.
I hear ya. We all can relate to this.

Every one of us here has either school or work getting in
the way of full time movie making. When I work 12/14
hour days on set that takes away time I could be making
my own movies. But we gotta make a living, right?

When you move out here, working full time is going to
take away time you could be learning and reading, too.
That's why I suggest you make movies right now. The
Sunday get together is a good start. You need to turn
that into one long weekend of actually making a short
film. Hitting L.A. with three finished short films will be
a huge advantage. If one of them has been accepted
in a festival that will be even better.

Can you shoot one in March?

I hear ya. We all can relate to this.

Every one of us here has either school or work getting in
the way of full time movie making. When I work 12/14
hour days on set that takes away time I could be making
my own movies. But we gotta make a living, right?

When you move out here, working full time is going to
take away time you could be learning and reading, too.
That's why I suggest you make movies right now. The
Sunday get together is a good start. You need to turn
that into one long weekend of actually making a short
film. Hitting L.A. with three finished short films will be
a huge advantage. If one of them has been accepted
in a festival that will be even better.

Can you shoot one in March?

Yeah, I would much rather that full time job adding to experience and making contacts though, rather than just saving money.

Hopefully I can shoot one before March, I think we are going to try and make it meeting two nights a week to write, and then shoot whenever we can (due to conflicting work schedules).

I recently invested in a Canon HV40 video camera (with tripod and all the stuff). Was thinking about purchasing a depth of field adapter, but a decent one can be pretty expensive. I know its not the best setup, but its a start.

@JussyJus, I Love the heart, but I read a lot of "If I can" and "I will try" the "dad" in me says
that is not good enough.

<DAD MODE ON!>

If you can NOT make a movie with your existing support structure, job, friends, family etc, then moving where you don't know ANYONE is going to be even MORE of the same. If your friends are holding you back, get new ones. (old friends are gold, but they sometimes demand that you stay as you are.. not what you want to become.. ) Chances are you will make the same TYPES of friends if you move..

I just checked Philly craigslists and see at least as many film making opportunities as I have here in Portland Oregon. You can help somebody this weekend, and next weekend they will help you. Thats the way it works. You can build your film network in one or two weekends and have MORE HELP then you can use. You can find seriously passionate individuals like yourself, you don't have to settle.

And finally, Dont say you will TRY and make three shorts by March, say you WILL make three shorts before you move. Make it a requirement.

<DAD MODE OFF>

Dude, do what ever makes you happy, screw the reality..

Back