The Best Books To Read About Filmmaking

...What are the best books to read about screenwriting, pre-production, production, and post-production? What are the must read books? The ones that everyone should read?

Five C's Of Cinematography - Joseph V Mascelli
Professional Cameraman's Handbook - Verne and Sylvia Carison
Practical Art Of Motion Picture Sound - David Lewis Yewdall
Cinematography - Kris Malkiewicz
The Technique Of Editing 16mm Film - John Burder
Before You Shoot - Helen Garvy
16mm Film Cutting - John Burder
The Camera Assistant's Manual - David E Elkins
Film Technology In Post Production - Dominic Case
The Portable Film School - D.B. Gilles
Pre-Production Planning For Video, Film, and Multimedia - Steve R. Cartwright
Film & Video Budgets - Deke Simon and Michael Wiese
The Beginning Filmmakers Guide To A Successful First Film - Renee Harmon and Jim Lawrence
Film Production The Complete Uncensored Guide To Independent Filmmaking - Greg Merrit
Basic Film Technique (Media Manuals) by Ken Daley
The Grip Book; Or, the How to Become a Motion Picture Film Technician by Michael G. Uva, Sabrina C. Uva
Gaffers, Grips, and Best Boys by Eric Taub
The Insider's Guide to Releasing Independent Movies by Stacey Parks
The Pocket Lawyer for Filmmakers by Thomas A. Crowell, ESQ.

I also have a long wishlist on Amazon that you can look at. If anyone is curious in the future just respond to this thread(which I'm subscribing to) and I'll re-add to that list the books that have been purchased off my wish list. Here's the link to my wish list(feel free to buy me a book!):

http://www.amazon.com/gp/registry/registry.html?ie=UTF8&type=wishlist&id=2V7PKS2JKN8D3

Also if anyone wants to add to that list speak up and I'll add it to this list. That way it's near the beginning of the post, and everyone can benefit from the great suggestions of their peers! Also if a couple people agree that a book is entertainment, and not educational, I can take it off the list.

Last edited:
You can't make a movie without knowing about the business downside of what you're getting into.
The Insider's Guide to Releasing Independent Movies by Stacey Parks

Also the Pocket Lawyer for Filmmakers by Thomas A. Crowell, ESQ.

Anyone have any good suggestions of books on documentary film making? I'm going to be trying to get a internship on a docu. and need some insights into the production part of making one.

Another great book is Voice and Vision: A Creative Approach to Narrative Film and DV Production. I've never come across a more thorough, all-encompassing book about the technical aspects of filmmaking. It's pretty expensive (about $48) but it's worth every penny.

This probably isn't the book to buy for learning documentaries since it covers more narrative stuff, but it's still a great book for learning and understanding the technical side of video and 16mm film especially; plus, it covers editing, pre-production, audio, and distribution as well.

My personal favorite is The Power Filmmaking Kit by Jason Tomaric. It's got a TON of information about all aspects of filmmaking. If you could only buy one book, this would be the one to buy.

Film Directing Shot by Shot (blue book) by Stephen Katz
Cinematic Motion by Stephen Katz
In the Blink of an Eye by Walter Murch
Rebel Without a Crew by Robert Rodriguez

Full Disclosure: I have not come close to reading all of these books. Some of them I own, some of them are on my reading list, and I'm sure there are others that I'll never read. I just spend a couple hours one day compiling a list of resources and this is one of the lists I came up with. Sorry if there are doubles and I hope it helps!!

Cinematic Storytelling: The 100 Most Powerful Film Conventions Every Filmmaker Must Know by Jennifer Van Sijll

On Film-making: An Introduction to the Craft of the Director by Alexander Mackendrick, Paul Cronin and Martin Scorsese

Film: A Critical Introduction (3rd Edition) (MyCommunicationKit Series) by Maria T. Pramaggiore and Tom Wallis (Feb 27, 2011)

The Film Encyclopedia 6e: The Complete Guide to Film and the Film Industry by Ephraim Katz and Ronald Dean Nolen (Sep 2, 2008)

Master Shots: 100 Advanced Camera Techniques to Get an Expensive Look on Your Low-Budget Movie by Christopher Kenworthy (Jan 1, 2009)

The Complete Film Production Handbook, Fourth Edition by Eve Light Honthaner (Mar 26, 2010)

Film Art: An Introduction by David Bordwell and Kristin Thompson (Nov 25, 2009)

Short Guide to Writing about Film, A (7th Edition) by Timothy Corrigan (Feb 5, 2009)

How to Read a Film: Movies, Media, and Beyond [Paperback] - James Monaco
The Power Of Film By Howard Suber

The Art of Watching Films by Dennis Petrie and Joe Boggs (Apr 13, 2011)

The Independent Film Producer's Survival Guide: A Business and Legal Sourcebook by Gunnar Erickson, Mark Halloran and Harris Tulchin (Oct 1, 2009)

Film Theory and Criticism by Leo Braudy and Marshall Cohen (Jan 14, 2009)

Setting Up Your Scenes: The Inner Workings of Great Films by Richard D. Pepperman (Sep 1, 2005)

Philosophy Through Film by Mary M. Litch (Jan 27, 2010)

Film and Literature: An Introduction and Reader by Timothy Corrigan (Dec 13, 2011)

The Complete Film Production Handbook, Third Edition by Eve Light Honthaner (May 8, 2001)

Filmmaking: Direct Your Movie from Script to Screen Using Proven Hollywood Techniques by Jason J. Tomaric (Dec 29, 2010)

The Business of Media Distribution: Monetizing Film, TV and Video Content in an Online World by Jeff Ulin (Oct 5, 2009)

From Reel to Deal: Everything You Need to Create a Successful Independent Film by Dov S.-S. Simens (Jul 1, 2003)

The Film Director's Intuition: Script Analysis and Rehearsal Techniques by Judith Weston (Sep 25, 2003)

The Producer's Business Handbook, Third Edition: The Roadmap for the Balanced Film Producer by John J. Lee Jr. and Anne Marie Gillen (Nov 15, 2010)

24P - Make Your Digital Movies Look Like Hollywood

A Critica Cinema 5 - Interviews With Independent Filmmakers

Acting For Film

American Cinematographer Manual - Filmmaking

Andrey Tarkovsky - Sculpting in Time

Animation - The Art of Layout and Storyboarding

Art in the Cinematic Imagination

Better Location Shooting Techniques for Video Production

Dialogue Editing for Motion Pictures

Directing Film Techniques and Aesthetics

Directing the Story

Documentary Storytelling - Making Stronger and More Dramatic Nonfiction Films.

Encyclopedia of Film Vol.1 - Academy Awards - Crime_Films

Film Directing Fundamentals - See Your Film Before Shooting

Film Production Theory

Film Structure and the Emotion System

Filming the Fantastic - A Guide to Visual Effects Cinematography

Filmmaking for Dummies

If Its Purple, Someones Gonna Die - The Power of Color in Visual Storytelling

John Costello - Writing a Screenplay

Lighting for Digital Video & Television - Second Edition

Myth Mind and the Screen - Understanding the Heroes of Our Times

Practical Cinematography (Focal Press)

Practical DV Filmmaking 2nd Edition (Focal Press - 2006)

Shoot Me - Independent Filmmaking From Creative Concept to Rousing Release

Special Makeup Effects for Stage and Screen

The Art and Business of Directing Commercials

The Art Direction Handbook for Film

The Camera Assistant's Manual

The Filmmaker's Guide to Production Design

The Five C's of Cinematography - Motion Picture Filming Techniques

The Power Filmmaking Kit

Theatrical Translation and Film Adaptation

Visual Effects for Film and Television

Writing, Directing and Producing Documentary Films and Videos

Last edited:
Sorry if I missed it in all the lists ;)

It's a bit dated, but "Flim as Social Practice" by Graeme Turner I enjoyed as a perspective on the importance of film from a social standpoint-good for social insight :)

Dialog Editing for Motion Pictures - John Purcell

Sound Design: The Expressive Power of Music, Voice and Sound Effects in Cinema - David Sonnenschein

The Practical Art of Motion Picture Sound, Third Edition - David Lewis Yewdall

The Foley Grail - Vanessa Ament

The Sound Effects Bible - Rick Viers

A few web sites:

filmsound.org

colinhartonline.com

designingsound.org

jwsound.net

kenstone.net/fcp_homepage/location_sound.html

You'll be proud of me Alcove. I just bought Producing Great Sound for Film and Video, Rose 3rd Ed.

Right I'm reading: Mastering HD Video with Your DSLR, kraus. And so far it has my vote for the newbs out there, like me.:)

You'll be proud of me Alcove. I just bought Producing Great Sound for Film and Video, Rose 3rd Ed.

I'm reading through that at the moment, great book, really easy to get into. Gives just enough technical info to have an appreciation for recording and editing without bogging you down too much with physics and logarithms.

I'm also reading the Sonnenschein one Alcove recommends, it is a phenomenal read. Really gets the creative sound juices flowing if you know what I mean ;)

Back