The Amazing Spiderman 2

lets just agree, if its not a superhero movie directed by Nolan, its going to be crap.

(avengers was good but not better than Batman Trilogy)

X2 and Spider-Man 2 are the top two superhero films ever made. The Avengers probably comes in third. And none of those were directed by Nolan. :cool:

The last one just felt completely unnecessary, and from the trailer this one looks like it's heading down the batman & robin path.

I think I know where you're coming from there. But I thought the last one had some merit. For me, the people pulled it through, particularly Emma Stone and Denis Leary. Ug, yes, please don't go camp!

How can you tell from a trailer anyway? When I first saw the trailer for The Dark Knight, I though it was going to be crap, because the trailer showed a lot of action and made it look like a style over substance movie. I went in with low expectations, and boy was I wrong! It was awesome.

So you can't tell anything from a trailer really.

How can you tell from a trailer anyway? When I first saw the trailer for The Dark Knight, I though it was going to be crap, because the trailer showed a lot of action and made it look like a style over substance movie. I went in with low expectations, and boy was I wrong! It was awesome.

So you can't tell anything from a trailer really.

Not sure which trailer for the Dark Knight you saw

A lot of things look bad about this film; but not unexpected. I don't expect the story, dialog or characters to make sense in super hero films, it's just the way these films tend to be.

What really seems to pop-out are the computer generated effects. Are they trying to see just how cheap they can make it look and still have people not care? Because I think they are succeeding. Spiderman looks like a video game character in every shot he shows up. The explosions, the particles, the flying debris and pretty much everything that's going on looks fake.

I actually was just okay with both SPIDERMAN movies. The Doc Ock SPIDERMAN 2 was awesome, though! I'll see this new one, but it definitely reminds me of a videogame. Actually, the end of this trailer reminds me of the G.I. JOE trailer, where the guys are running in the power suits at the end of it. Check out the 1:58 mark:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OqymrugFevw

THE AVENGERS was such a cartoon, for me! Flying aircraft carrier? Ha ha ha! Black Widow has the mortal talents of a Jason Bourne, yet Captain America could throw her into the air, so she could catch speeders going 90mph?? Ha ha ha! The Hulk doesn't show up, until very late in the movie. WTF? The Hulk is one of my favorite characters. The faceless attackers shoot up the city and hit....no one!

BATMAN BEGINS - brilliant in how it explained all the bat toys - memory cloth, kevlar suit, sonar; it just went into some nice detail.

THE DARK KNIGHT - Heath Ledger made for an awesomely cool villian. However, I couldn't stand THE DARK KNIGHT RISES, where Batman takes nothing but his fists and smoke bombs to face Bane and his army. Preposterous!

I actually liked the Ed Norton version of THE HULK. As much as I like Eric Bana, Ang Lee's version with Nick Nolte as the father who wants to kill his son was repulsive to me, both in idea and execution.

X-MEN 2, the opening White House attack was brilliant! I also liked X-MEN: FIRST CLASS, mainly because of Michael Fassbender's portrayal of young Magneto. Overall, there are too many damn mutants for me to get into. One special character in a story, stays special. 20 special characters make no one special. Like someone said, I'd rather see Spidey, or any super character, battle human characters, while being quite vulnerable. I don't mind a fantastic villian, but throw in a bunch of flying jedi or mutant people and I could just throw up. :mad:

The first IRON MAN was okay, even though I'll never believe in supersonic boots that can fly across the world. Plus, the end robot fight reminded me of the finale of ROBOCOP 2.

Which brings me to my favorite superhero movie, ever - ROBOCOP. Beautiful in how it explores Murphy's humanity, via his remnant memories. Not much in the way of CGI bullshit, yet plenty of exploding, radiactive man and E.D. 209 spectacle.

Great insights, Scoopicman.

One thing that I really appreciate about Ang Lee's Hulk, though, is how they got him, the Hulk, right. I mean, it was great seeing the Hulk doing the things he should be able to do --like he does them in the comics. That is, and wonderfully so, in Lee's film he can leap around almost as though he's flying. He has the astronomical strength that the Hulk is supposed to have, etc. That was such a breath of fresh air and a relief compared to the TV show, which I loved as a kid (I was taken what they were givin'!), but in which the Hulk was hardly more than a green strongman. That's not the Hulk!

Actually, I liked Val Kilmer's Batman. But of course the film could have been better...less the camp.

Another one I think that has been apparently undervalued and maybe forgotten, but is really quite good, is The Shadow.

Just my own opinions. I generally like all superhero movies. Some are deeper, others at least function at the popcorn level.

One thing that I really appreciate about Ang Lee's Hulk, though, is how they got him, the Hulk, right. I mean, it was great seeing the Hulk doing the things he should be able to do --like he does them in the comics. That is, and wonderfully so, in Lee's film he can leap around almost as though he's flying. He has the astronomical strength that the Hulk is supposed to have, etc. That was such a breath of fresh air and a relief compared to the TV show, which I loved as a kid

I was a sucker for THE INCREDIBLE HULK TV show, but in the movie, I liked how the Hulk got bigger, the madder he got. Actually, I was saying that I liked the Ed Norton HULK movie, better than the Ang Lee version. Eric Bana is a better fit, physically, but I liked the writing in the Norton version. And, the consequences were more realistic - people got hurt or killed (ie the Abomination smashing the soldiers in the jeep). In Ang Lee's version, the Hulk could throw a tank 1,000 yards and then the guys just get out, like nothing happened. Too A-TEAM-ish, for me.

I still have to see the most recent THOR movie. I like Chris Hemsworth in that role.

Not sure which trailer for the Dark Knight you saw

Well the Dark Knight trailer concentrates a lot on humorous lines, like when Harvey says "Any psychotic ex-boyfriends I should be aware of?". and then Alfred gives his witty response. At the end of the trailer, Bruce says it's too subtle to take his Batmobile out in the day time, and Alfred gives another witty response. They don't really show a lot of the dark stuff as much. So the trailer makes it to be a lot lighter and less serious than Batman Begins in comparison, which is why I felt the trailer is misleading cause the has so much more depth than the trailer implies. That's my example of how trailers can be misleading, at least for me.

And no one exited a tank after Hulk threw it in Ang Lee's version, I don't know how anyone got that. In fact I actually found the Ed Norton Hulk had less consequences, as a whole college gets shot up, and Ross is never legally accountable for his actions, even though everything his fault from the get go.

Last edited:
And no one exited a tank after Hulk threw it in Ang Lee's version, I don't know how anyone got that.

Do you purposely try to get a rise out of people with your posts? I'll try to help you out with pics. Hulk throws tank 1,000 yards. A soldier gets out.

Hulktank.jpg

Well the Dark Knight trailer concentrates a lot on humorous lines, like when Harvey says "Any psychotic ex-boyfriends I should be aware of?". and then Alfred gives his witty response. At the end of the trailer, Bruce says it's too subtle to take his Batmobile out in the day time, and Alfred gives another witty response. They don't really show a lot of the dark stuff as much. So the trailer makes it to be a lot lighter and less serious than Batman Begins in comparison, which is why I felt the trailer is misleading cause the has so much more depth than the trailer implies. That's my example of how trailers can be misleading, at least for me.

The trailer had dark visuals, and an epic booming soundtrack. It put in wit so that the audience knows the film is fun and enjoyable. Hitchcock used humor to great effect in his films, but often had a dark and unnerving tone. That was often shown in his trailers. They wanted the trailer to be what the film is like - enjoyable. Perhaps Nolan didn't want the depth the film had in the trailer so that the film packed more of a punch, but I think the trailers matched the film.

Spiderman 2 looks horrible in my opinion. I don't care if the tone of the film is different, it looks like it is trying to have the seriousness of Nolan films, but trying to maintain the cheesy aspects of outdated, older superhero films. It has dark visuals, but cheap and goofy looking VFX.

I'd be down for a Venom movie (or even a Spidey film where Venom wasn't kludged in at the last moment). But not before we get a Deadpool film. That's the one I want, damnit!

I'd guess we'll be waiting a while for Venom - I'd put money on a 2018 release date. Sinister Six has to spin off from Amazing Spiderman 2; as I said, it's almost painfully obvious. I'm assuming Venom will be introduced in Amazing Spiderman 3, to be released in 2016. Unless...... BJ Novak's secret character could be Eddie Brock??? But I'd guess at him being either Adrian Toomes or Otto Octavius, to become one of the Sinister Six.

Back