• READ BEFORE POSTING!
    • If posting a video, please post HERE, unless it is a video as part of an advertisement and then post it in this section.
    • If replying to threads please remember this is the Promotion area and the person posting may not be open to feedback.

watch Teaser Trailer for my First Feature Film

Really compelling trailer. Your tagline ( well to me it feels like a tagline, s'pose it could be shortened to fit a poster format better :) ) is great *shivers*!

"There's only one thing I can say for certain, if someone, anyone, gives you even an ounce of love, take it, whether they exist.....or not."

Thanks for the kind words and support everyone.

to papertwin: We wanted to shoot a teaser for many reasons. One it gives the cast and crew something sort of tangible to see to help them better understand our vision because we won't actually be ready to shoot the full film until early 2011. We're also really keen on audience building during the pre-production stage. Having a short clip available helps us give our potential audience a better idea of what our story is about and it helps bring our synopsis to life. Lastly, we also wanted to use it to help get funders interested in the film. We wanted to show what we're capable of on a tiny budget.

That's the short version of our philosophy for shooting a teaser trailer for the film. I think it's turned out to be a very valuable tool for our production team and I would recommend it to other filmmakers as well.

Again, thanks for the encouragement. If you have any questions feel free to toss them my way!

Thanks for the kind words and support everyone.

to papertwin: We wanted to shoot a teaser for many reasons. One it gives the cast and crew something sort of tangible to see to help them better understand our vision because we won't actually be ready to shoot the full film until early 2011. We're also really keen on audience building during the pre-production stage. Having a short clip available helps us give our potential audience a better idea of what our story is about and it helps bring our synopsis to life. Lastly, we also wanted to use it to help get funders interested in the film. We wanted to show what we're capable of on a tiny budget.

That's the short version of our philosophy for shooting a teaser trailer for the film. I think it's turned out to be a very valuable tool for our production team and I would recommend it to other filmmakers as well.

Again, thanks for the encouragement. If you have any questions feel free to toss them my way!

That is true, but a short film would have served the purpose of all the above.

Although, like i said, it was very intriguing. The best of luck!

Thank you Barnaclelapse. And you're right Papertwin.. A short film would have been another really good option. I actually really like when film's have short little epilogues or prologues as their teaser. I'll think about that for feature #2!

Thanks again everyone.

looks great
I've seen a tag on the sites page for a canon 5d2, is that what you shot on?
like the theme also , have any films/works inspired it etc?

I have to say that that looks damn good. The whole production looks a real step up from a lot of independent movies, so hopefully you can channel that when you come to shooting the full feature.

You should make a production thread here because, I for one, would like to see how this project progresses...

Markc78: Yes, we shot most of the teaser on the Canon 5D using Nikon lenses. We needed to use the Canon 7D to shoot our slow motion shot at the end though (ie. girls eyes through the white fabric). The 5D can't shoot 60fps, the 7D can.

As far as what's it's inspired by.... It's a good question. I think at its root it's inspired by telling a story of someone of would otherwise have their story ignored. We want to show how what appears to be ugly on the outside actually has a little bit of reason about it on the inside. As far as visual inspiration goes, I have too many heros to mention! Our writer is Eastern European and has grown up with a healthy addiction to literature and cinema so that will undoubtedly influence the story. But as I mention on my blog post here:

http://www.romanticchildstudios.com/blog/first-independent-feature-film/

I'll summarize:

"Igor (our writer) is heavily influenced by some of the world’s best writers, theatre directors and filmmakers. In fact, he was forced to see a psychologist after his family, concerned that Igor had an unhealthy obsession with film, found out he watched a 9 hour film at the cinema. His parents are, without a doubt, correct that he is unhealthily obsessed with books and film. But it’s this unhealthy obsession to storytelling that drew me towards his eccentric personality in the first place. If he was my son, I too would send him to a shrink… but he’s not my son, so his psychological hang ups are sort of an asset to me.

At a party last week, he was yelling at a few of us that the book Demian by Hermann Hesse and the book Prophet by Kahil Gibran should be a mandatory readings in the curriculums of schools. We were all politely listening to his rant but he still felt the need to shout at us “In fact, it shouldn’t just be mandatory… it should be Fu#$%'ing LAW to teach our children about love”.

My job at this point is to act as a bridge between our producer and writer ensuring that our writer isn’t falling prey to some of the criticisms of his heroes. Igor could easily fall into the trap, like Tarkovsky, Pasolini or Bergman of being criticized for being overly academic, dry and yes I hate to say it but…. boring. So my role at this point is to ensure that Igor feels confident marrying the pedantic concerns of Tarkovsky with our producer’s concern of creating commercial narrative cinema that doesn't turn it's back on the power or poetic potential of independent cinema."

To NickClapper: As for a production thread... I'm trying to be consistent with blogging about the process (link above). I'm trying to update at least once or twice a month.

If you guys have any questions about our process I'm happy to share our successes and failures with you.

really appreciate the generous insight and I actually spent a good couple of hours checking out your blog and the various links yesterday,
looks like a strong team behind the project which is probably half the battle
again the theme for me is the distinguishing factor and is along the lines of the ideas I play with myself and it's rare to seem them explored effectively and with some flair at the same time

also what rig(s) did you use with the dslr's?

Last edited:
What a fantastic trailer for your film. It works as a piece on its own and is quite beautiful. I am looking forward to seeing the full length version.

Thank you sarahblo!

Markc78: Yes, a good team behind the camera makes a huge difference. When you're working on a film there is no shortage of people who want to lend a hand (which of course is great). But we have been very selective and when people offer to help we only ever say "no" or "maybe". We only need about 10 people behind the camera so we want them to be the best possible people (which is hard when your budget is as low as ours). Which is why it's taken us so long to crew up. But we found a really professional group of people who believe in the project and want to be part of its successes so we've been lucky in that regard.

As for the rigs... argg... I could go on about this forever. These little camera's are great but I'm really drawn towards the aesthetic of older, heavier cameras. We used a tripod with a decent head (I think a Manfrotto 503) for most of the scenes. For the two jib shots (interior hallway of dancing woman + under bridge of man yelling at a lamp), we used a small jib that had an arm that could extend 10 feet. I wasn't happy with the jib at all. It was really bulky and the resistance for the tilt and pan couldn't be adjusted. So I'm currently researching a jib that is affordable but quick to set up and has a bit of weight to it so it doesn't jerk all over the place. Any suggestions?

Now for my rant... these cameras can't be handheld. They absorb the impact of every footstep, every breath, every heartbeat, every little jitter from the coffee you've had earlier in the day. Heavier cameras have a nice "feathered" look on the edges of the frame. These light cameras are obnoxiously shaky. In my opinion the shake on the edges of the frame really draws attention to itself and takes the audience out of the story.

I've heard of solutions like cinematographers taping the camera on top of bag or rice or flour. This gives the camera some weight and takes the shake off the edges of the frame. We shot hand held in the close ups of the actress dancing in the hallway. The footage was unusable until I used "smooth cam" effect in Final Cut Pro. The original footage is not that steady, but I also don't want to rely on stabilization effects in post production because they crop your image which means that you compromise your original framing. I've also used fig rigs, glide cams etc etc... But I really want to do is practice using a rig that allows the freedom of using hand-held camera, but one that weights the camera enough to give it a nice feathered look. Anyone else experiment with this idea at all?

Thanks again.

Great title, really good trailer. Looking forward to seeing the full-length.

You are inspiring; I hope to tackle a feature after another short or two (ha! Or?...).

Good job.

Back