• Wondering which camera, gear, computer, or software to buy? Ask in our Gear Guide.

Taser SFX?

Hey all,

I was hoping someone might know where I can find a reasonably priced (or, better yet, free) taser firing sound. I have the electic pulses, but haven't been able to find a convincing sound for the "pop" of the actual cartridge firing. I've found a couple ballon pops and firecrackers that are close...but just not doing it. I don't have access to one to foley it and don't have the cash to buy one just for this. I appreciate any suggestions for where to look or what other sounds might work.

Thanks!
Lee

tasers only make a sound when you're tasing the air.
if you actually touch it to someone the sound isn't there

thats real life though.. i understand audiences might not 'get it' in a movie.. of course tasers are one of my pet peeves in films. It's like the 'one phone call' bit that every movie seems determined to throw in there just to let us know that they're a movie and not reality. there is no one phone call.. and tasers don't just knock someone out.

I've had to tase someone before, they got really pissed off afterwards. you need to hold it on them for like 8-10 seconds to drain the fight out of them but even then they remain conscious

I think you're confusing what I'm talking about with an EID, more commonly called a stun gun. What I'm talking about is the Taser X26 (X26c, C2, M2, etc.) which fires a pair of probes into the target. Not a stun gun, like you're talking about.

I was hoping someone might know where I can find a reasonably priced (or, better yet, free) taser firing sound.

Try SoundDogs (buy-by-the-sound) and FreeSound.org (creative commons).

I have the electic pulses, but haven't been able to find a convincing sound for the "pop" of the actual cartridge firing. I've found a couple ballon pops and firecrackers that are close...but just not doing it. I don't have access to one to foley it and don't have the cash to buy one just for this. I appreciate any suggestions for where to look or what other sounds might work.

Making it yourself if a lot more fun. Anyway...

Filmmaking has nothing to do with reality. You can use any sound thay "does it" for you - as long as your audience is convinced and believes it.

Did you try layering sounds (stack the ballon pops and firecrackers)? Did you try using really "big" sounds and making them "smaller" (i.e. - Use a pistol shot, pitch it up, roll off some low end...).

Try SoundDogs (buy-by-the-sound) and FreeSound.org (creative commons).

Making it yourself if a lot more fun. Anyway...

Filmmaking has nothing to do with reality. You can use any sound thay "does it" for you - as long as your audience is convinced and believes it.

Did you try layering sounds (stack the ballon pops and firecrackers)? Did you try using really "big" sounds and making them "smaller" (i.e. - Use a pistol shot, pitch it up, roll off some low end...).

That's true. Sometimes I forget the whole reason I got into this was to create...not just use what's already out there. Thanks for the suggestions.

I re-read my original reply to your post, and I sounded kinda like a douche. Wasn't meant to come across that way.

didn't come across that way to me, no worries. I don't mind being corrected when I'm wrong and propagation of false information is one of my pet peeves.

I looked into it, if I could argue with you about how Taser is a brand name and not a type of projectile stun gun. but it came up short :D you're right i just read over your post too fast

Didn't even think of that. Might know a couple LAPD guys that might be able to make that happen. Of course, I'd probably have to volunteer to get tasked, too. Small price to pay for art, I guess.

I do suspect, however, that you'll find the authentic sound rather lackluster. Layering many sounds, as Alcove suggested, will almost certainly get you the best result.

Just a heads up the electricity discharged by a taser plays hell with condenser microphones. Be sure to use a dynamic for the recording. Also if you're going to nail someone with the taser you'll probably have their noise in the recording. Consider getting a pig thigh from a market and shooting that. And to bat you can cook it afterwards.

Back