Tascam dr-100 vs zoom h4n or better option

Looking for Real experience insight as to which audio recorder to pick for short, budget film making. Tascam DR-100 or Zoom H4n. If there are options that are a LOT better for a couple of hundred more pls advise. Also need advise for wireless mics vs condenser mics vs Omni mics.

The DR-100 has smoother mic pre-amps, a sturdier build and Tascam has experience making production sound gear. For a few hundred more the Fostex FR-2LE, Marantz PMD-661 and Tascam HD-P1 are excellent choices.

Wireless: Sennheiser, Lectrosonics

Lavs: CountryMan, Sanken, Audio Technica

Cardioid: Audio Technica AT4053b

Shotgun: Rode NTG-3

Marantz PMD661

After getting your email, I checked out the info about the Marantz PMD661. I might dish out the extra cash for it IF it's THAT much of a difference. I spent a little over a grand on my canon 60d body (I know, not a real film makers camera) and $500 for my first good prime lens. So I figure, I should spend just as much on the sound. I'm gonna check the other recorders, as well as the mod you mentioned. THANKS. And I did a little background check... Nice and Smooth? They had a heluva run of classic hip hop jams that defined my Long Island, NY junior high/high school years man. Wow.

THAT'S HILARIOUS. Guess i overshot the past - i was just out of college. time flies. I checked out the oade brothers audio site. The Marantz Super is the most affordable. The site claims that's the one for soft signals; voice, nature etc. Sounds like exactly what I need, if it is what they claim it to be. Thanks a lot.

Back