• Wondering which camera, gear, computer, or software to buy? Ask in our Gear Guide.

Target exposure - correct-exposure target dot or a bit under?

Hi

Filming our first feature with a Canon 6D and:
  • 50mm Canon 1.6
  • Sigma 24-70mm f/2.8

Shooting flat. 25 FPS, with shutter of 1/50.

Read hundreds of excellent posts on IT but keep hitting a few snags.

Generally is the Canon exposure meter accurate and generally should I be aiming to get my exposure on the correct-exposure-dot on the 6D's exposure level meter?

I'm sure I read somewhere it's best to shoot a fraction under which is what I'm presently doing - is that a good call?

We have Premier Pre for our post work but we're both brand new to it and post-prod.

It very much depends on the scene in which you are shooting. If you are shooting at something that is basically all the same exposure (such as a white wall) then the in-camera meter should do just fine. But if you are shooting again different exposures (lit up subject in foreground and not as much background) then it depends on how the camera see's the scene (as it might take the wall as the exposure or the subject) So if it's close to the same exposure your meter should do fine, and if it's not the same exposure, you might have to look at a test of the conditions (but that's just me). Also about shooting a fraction over/under or direct I would say it depends. I typically shoot a darker scene slightly over, and a lighter scene a little under (just so the blacks aren't pure black and same with whites). If it's standard lighting I'd just shoot at the line.

If I am unsure about the settings, I always take a picture in Video mode,

works in Canon 550d at least,

then I change the settings and take another picture untill I am sure what to use (f & iso values),

it is really easy to compare picture a to b and think what is the correct settings.

if you shoot under you can fix it when editing, if you go (way) over then you are out of luck,

I use magic lantern software and that has option where lcd-image goes to red when over exposed,

that helps a lot when shooting the movie.

Really helpful advice folks, much appreciated.

If I am unsure about the settings, I always take a picture in Video mode,

works in Canon 550d at least,

then I change the settings and take another picture untill I am sure what to use (f & iso values),.

How come you take a photo? My 6D has Live Mode. I have been using that and the exposure indicator to determine the proper exposure.

The Live Mode exposure alters as I change the aperture, ISO etc.

Not sure how taking a photo would help?

Back