• READ BEFORE POSTING!
    • If posting a video, please post HERE, unless it is a video as part of an advertisement and then post it in this section.
    • If replying to threads please remember this is the Promotion area and the person posting may not be open to feedback.

Tales from the Frontline of Indie Film

I'm testing out a new product, a book I just finished. It compile allthe articles that are on the site for free, along with several new ones not online. The main bulk of the book are several cautionary tales that every aspiring filmmaker should hear. There are all kinds of mistakes made while trying to develop a film career, and here are several of them in one place.

Take a gander, and tell me if this is something you'd consider. WARNING, I make fun of a lot of local characters and real life events.

CLICK HERE to see more

Last edited:
I have a very large library now, but I'd go out and buy a whole new set of shelves to make room for a book by you, Sonnyboo. Put me on the mailing list for the first few copies available.

WC

WriteumCowboy said:
I have a very large library now, but I'd go out and buy a whole new set of shelves to make room for a book by you, Sonnyboo. Put me on the mailing list for the first few copies available.

WC

THIS HERE is a test edition, you can actually buy it & it will ship in 5-6 days. It's just my first real draft of the book & I'm seeking feedback before sending it to real publishers...

Last edited:
I have to admit, you (and your passion for teaching what you know) are one of the reasons I picked up a camera. I came here looking for fellow writers. So in that spirit, are you asking for critiques?

Boz Uriel said:
I have to admit, you (and your passion for teaching what you know) are one of the reasons I picked up a camera. I came here looking for fellow writers. So in that spirit, are you asking for critiques?

Yes. I'm looking for constructive criticism. The first half of the book are more narrative and the lessons are moral, and the second half is straight up articles & tips. Which one do people like better? Do they like getting both in one? That's the most important info to gather for me.

As I said, this is a test printing of a first draft of the book. It's divided into two halves really. The first half is the 'Tales' section where I go through several real life adventures trying to get a feature film made and the stock cahracters that permeate every film community from Potential investors that turn out to be lonely old guys who just want someone to talk to through people who post on forums just like this & how to avoid people who will waste a lot of your time and efforts. The second half consists primarily of articles like the ones I contribute to this site that are shorter, but to the point information and advice on starting out.

This book is for the BEGINNING FILMMAKER, not an expert, although you might be entertained by similarities to your own experience talking to people in the film community.

It's $13.95, so you can buy it if you want to, but I'm not twisting anyone's arm. I'm trying to make it clear that it's a first draft and buy at your own risk. This is a test market because I want people's opinions on what they like & don't like in it before I take it to a real publisher. I'm able to put this on www.cafepress.com at no setup charge to myself, so it seemed like an easy thing to try.

I'm not offended by anyone saying "That's too pricey for me to proofread your book. Get back to me when it's finished.". That's an okay attitude and I understand completely. If you feel that way, DON'T BUY THE BOOK! Wait until I do get it done all the way.

Then again, it might make a cool collectors item...someday.

I would suggest mixing it up with tips and cautionary tales instead of breaking it into two halves. Starting out filmmakers want concrete tips and may get impatient with the tales while looking for helpful tips.

Scott

Yup, I'm almost finished. It's at 198 pages now and almost done. I'm awaiting the final few images from Dan Kiely and from there it will be fully online. I took Scott Spears' suggestion and alternated the chapters from article to story, article to story, etc.

I highly suggest waiting for another week or two, as this is another draft, but it's 98% there if you want it.

Last edited:
FYI, the title is listed differently on the cover, back, and spine, and some other things.

Cover: "Tales from the Front Line of Indie Filmmaking"
Back: "Tales from the Front Lines of Indie Filmmaking"
Spine: "Tales From the Front Lines of Indie Film"

Cover: "And other assorted tips for the beginning moviemaker"
Back: "and other assorted tips for the begining moviemaker"

Cover and back: By Peter John Ross
Spine: by PeterJohn Ross

Back: There is an alignment issue in the second paragraph, with Magazine.

I just read the book, it's really hilarious, obviously I know ALL the stories, but it's inspiring and fun, kudos to PJR!

I probably get a few copies to give it out this Christmas, I have 2 people AT LEAST I know of that should read this, since they are soo close (acting like) to one of the character...

Although I must say, you forgot the film czar character :)

Last edited:
Back