T2i format

uuuh.. stupid question in 2 seconds...

submitting a short film through withoutabox, and one of the questions is:

"The camera original format(s) of the project, before any transfers or blow-ups"

I shot on T2i.. what format would it be?

HDV
HDV
DVCAM
DVCPro
DVCPro50
DVCPro HD
MiniDV
HDCAM
HD DVD
RED
Digital 8
DigiBeta
.MPG (MPEG or MPEG2)

So many to choose from! lol

The final video is exported as mp4 through premiere

uuuh.. stupid question in 2 seconds...

submitting a short film through withoutabox, and one of the questions is:

"The camera original format(s) of the project, before any transfers or blow-ups"

I shot on T2i.. what format would it be?

HDV
HDV
DVCAM
DVCPro
DVCPro50
DVCPro HD
MiniDV
HDCAM
HD DVD
RED
Digital 8
DigiBeta
.MPG (MPEG or MPEG2)

So many to choose from! lol

The final video is exported as mp4 through premiere

I have a question for you. Are you transcoding your footage before you edit? If so, what format are you using because iv been transcoding to mpeg-4 for the sole purpose of making the file size small and easier for my computer to handle. I feel like im doing it wrong. Is my method ok?

Iv read that you should be using 3 formats, the original format, a format to edit, and your final format. Iv only been using 2, the original t2i format, then trascoded to mpeg-4 for editing, and exported to mpeg-4 to the final product.

Could shed some light on this topic. maybe give a nice little formula for success. I.E. (AVI>MPEG-4>MP4)

Thanks

I have a question for you. Are you transcoding your footage before you edit? If so, what format are you using because iv been transcoding to mpeg-4 for the sole purpose of making the file size small and easier for my computer to handle. I feel like im doing it wrong. Is my method ok?

I wouldn't recommend transcoding to mpeg-4 for editing as it is quite lossy. If your original footage is in mpeg-4, that's fine (it's only gone through one stage of compression), but transcoding from some other format to mpeg-4, editing with that, and then exporting again for your final version will have a serious impact in image quality.

Whenever possible, edit using the native files that come out of your recording device. If your editor can't work with them, you'll need to transcode to a good intermediate format (like ProRes). File sizes will be high and there's not much you can do about that except buy bigger hard drives.

This was the biggest improvement I've seen in going from FCP7 to Premiere 5.5: no transcoding necessary!

proxies are temporary replacement footage with lesser quality. easier to edit, and dont need to spend time on rendering.

at the end, you just click "replace the footage", find your native file, and BAM! HD is back baby..
Put some butter on it, and feed it to movie watchers.. Mmnm

Last edited:
everything is better with butter!

I transcode to cineform to get a few more bits of headroom in the color space and out of habit.
I'm using the trial version of neoscene to transcode avchd 1080i footage (mainly to deinterlace before editing; I have cs5.5 so i can edit natively as well) but a 50mb avchd file became 870mb in high setting and 180mb in medium..is that normal?? Would you mind sharing some setting tips for it.. thanks

Always check your bit rates. Try out different settings (and look up on google) to find out what a good bitrate is for your outputted editing clips for your codec of choice.

With CS5.5 it might not be necessary to transcode just to get rid of interlacing. Premiere should have an "interpret footage" setting for that. The fewer recompresses your footage goes through, the better.

proxies are temporary replacement footage with lesser quality. easier to edit, and dont need to spend time on rendering.

at the end, you just click "replace the footage", find your native file, and BAM! HD is back baby..
Put some butter on it, and feed it to movie watchers.. Mmnm

Why in gods name have I never thought of that? I'm a reasonably intelligent person. I'm computer literate. Sheesh, sometimes I amaze myself.

Last edited:
Back