"Surviving Family" is now on iTunes!

ZenSteve - I'm not sure as we're focussing more on the streaming / download market

NickClapper - YES and thanks for asking that. It's available in the UK, Canada, and Ireland, in addition to the US. More countries will be added soon.

Just watched it - nice work! Good story, cast, and cinematography - there did seem to be some inconsistency with the audio mix, but overall I enjoyed the film. I'd love to hear about the production - how long you were working on it, the biggest challenges you encountered, what you're looking to do differently in the future, etc.

Congrats!! Footage from trailer looks pretty good. You should talk more about how you made it and all the troubles and how you overcame them. That'll create the right curiosity, and then everybody will be clicking the "buy/rent" button. :)

And the acting looked pretty good too.

Thanks for the kind words, and thanks especially to IDOM for the watching!

I will indeed provide some insight here as to how I made it, troubles, etc. First, one caveat regarding what I did & what I can/can't answer. I wrote the screenplay and am "the" producer. I put that in quotes because there's always several producers, but I'm the one who (a) financed it and (b) am ultimately responsible for everything.

The entire project, from when I started the script until the release on iTunes (which is certainly NOT the end of my work), took just under 5 years.

1. Casting: we cast the lead actress (Sarah Wilson) fairly quickly and painlessly. The lead actor (Billy Magnussen) put himself on tape in LA, where he was shooting something else, and sent it to us in NYC (our casting director had cast him in something previously). We knew immediately he was the guy we wanted, but had to convince the other guy's agent to pass. Which fortunately he did. Billy was great in it, and he's really a rising star - he's getting great reviews right now in an off-Broadway play called "Sex With Strangers" and plays Rapunzel's Prince in the upcoming movie version of Into The Woods.

The role that gave us the most headaches was the main character's older sister, which is a critical role. We offered it to several actresses, who accepted and then withdrew. We auditioned easily 200 actresses for that role. It wasn't until about a week before we were about to go into production that we saw Tara Westwood, and my director said immediately - that's her. She was great in the role - and is also the lead & my producing partner in my next feature, Detours. So yeah, she's now a friend as well as a great actress.

Our casting director, Caroline Sinclair, brought in Phyllis Somerville to play Aunt Mary - and if Phyllis weren't the most beautiful and talented 70 year old I've ever made, those critical scenes would have failed miserably. Caroline also brought in Vincent Pastore (best known as Big Pussy on The Sopranos) for a delightful small role as the mayor of the local town.

We had several late inning casting crises: the actor who was lined up to play the older sister's husband (again, a pretty big role) dropped out after the table read, 3 days before we went into production (he was "ill". Fortunately we immediately remembered a guy who had auditioned for another role and offered it to him - he was better than the first guy would have been !

Final casting crisis was in our last week of shooting. We had to change the day that we were shooting a flashback scene, and a kid who we needed couldn't make the new date. I called my casting director, who was on vacation in London, and she had a replacement for me within hours.

2. Locations: Overall people were amazingly generous with allowing us to shoot in homes and businesses. i truly now believe in karma, because several people cited ways that I'd helped them years ago, and said of course I'll help you now. Amazing.

We did have one location fall away at the last minute (necessitating the above-mentioned re-schedule). That necessitated some FAST footwork, but again the replacements turned out to be better than the original.

3. Sound - This is indeed the weakest point, and there are several things that contributed to that. First, we lost our production sound guy to another project that had been on hiatus and went back into production. Second guy got very sick and had to drop out. July & August, when we shot, are prime time for shooting in NYC, so everyone was booked by the time we needed to replace again.

In post-production, we made the mistake of hiring someone whose expertise is music not film. He did his best, but by the time he was done it wasn't where it should be, but there was no money left to re-do it.

When I said in my original post that iTunes wouldn't have happened without Nick Soares, I mean that especially re sound. He went through the movie shot by shot and tweaked a lot of the sound. I'm not knowledgeable about sound so I don't know what he did, but he got us through QC, finally. He also - with my agreement - deleted a scene with an un-fixable echo.

4. My director, Laura Thies, did an amazing job - I can't say enough positive things about her. She had directed several of my shorts, and came on board when I had only a very short, early version of the script. She's great with actors, and she made several scenes much better than what I had written :)

My favorite example of that is what I call the "sisters fight" scene (you'll have to watch it to know exactly what it is). I'll just say that I wrote it to be seated at a kitchen table, and she made it outdoors & dynamic, without changing a word.

5. My favorite scene overall is probably the bakery scene (again, watch for yourself!). I truly think this scene would stand on its own as a short.

I'll do my best to answer questions, except that the only thing I'll say about the budget is that it was under $1 mil .

:)

Hi Mara,
First, congratulations! Being a producer is often a thankless job, and I tip my hat to you.

(1) Did you need to provide a 5.1 mix? The reason I ask is that the iTunes deliverable list indicates that in order to sell your movie in HD that you need to provide a 5.1 mix; yet your page on iTunes states your movie is only available in stereo.

(2) What is the relationship between Surviving Family and your new film Detours? Did Surviving Family create the necessary contacts to allow Detours to be made? How will you approach Detours differently from Surviving Family?

Thanks!
Phil

Thanks Sonnyboo!

Payperfilm - thanks! Being a producer is not my idea of a good time - I'd really prefer to just write it and let someone else produce. But on the positive side, it means (1) it DOES get done and (2) I'm telling the story that I want to tell. That does NOT mean ignoring feedback, but after weighing all of it, I get to make the final call.

To answer your questions:

1. No, we don't have a 5.1 mix and yes iTunes specs indicate that it's required. This reinforces how important it was to have someone go to bat for us with iTunes. Nick was convinced (as am I) that there's a market for the movie - that's supported by our fb following (over 16,000 "likes" for the page plus we're always active there) and also, as I mentioned, our lead actor has been getting good press on his work. AND only one other movie that he's in is currently on iTunes.

2. I got the idea for Detours (father/daughter road movie) while on the road promoting SF, and absolutely I'm using the contacts from the first movie for the 2nd. As I mentioned, Tara Westwood has a major road in SF, and she's both a producer and lead actress in Detours. She knows a lot of people, and she's very nice, which means people want to keep in touch wither her after she meets them. So she's reached into her reservoir of good will, built over many years, to bring in some terrific actors and musicians.

Our line producer on Detours is a woman who I met on SF - she filled in for a week as a substitute location manager (primary person had a previous commitment). That was one of her first movie jobs. We kept in touch, and I watched her move up as she line produced another movie, was production coordinator on several others, and UPM on yet another. I reached out to her when I was ready to hire. She, in turn, had developed contacts for dp, wardrobe, etc.

Hi Mara,

Thanks for your previous response!

I see that Surviving Family is only available on iTunes. but not on Amazon. Was this intentional? I assume it will be soon. Will SF be available on other platforms or is Nick still working on that?

Phil

Hi Phil -

It's intentional - one platform at a time. Amazon will probably be next, and probably Redbox after that. We're hoping for Netflix, but that's a tough nut to crack. Of course, the more people rent or buy the movie on iTunes, the easier it will be to get it on Netflix.

Congratulations on achieving your desired distribution.

In post-production, we made the mistake of hiring someone whose expertise is music not film. He did his best, but by the time he was done it wasn't where it should be, but there was no money left to re-do it.

If it makes you feel any better about it, you're definitely not alone! On the face of it, music production and audio post appear very similar, both in terms of equipment/tools and skills. In practice though the skills, methodologies, styles/practices and tools are all either somewhat different or very significantly different. Unfortunately, many inexperienced directors/producers and many music producers themselves (even experienced ones!) don't fully appreciate this fact until it's too late. I suppose I shouldn't complain though, I've been paid good money on numerous occasions to fix film/TV mixes done by music producers! It is frustrating though, for the money they've spent in total on audio post they should have ended up with something far better than a quick "fix and mix" and of course many filmmakers have no money left at that stage and are stuck with a film they can't use/distribute/exhibit as they intended. To fall at this last hurdle is too much for some, I've had producers and directors in tears and on one or two occasions far worse reactions!

No, we don't have a 5.1 mix and yes iTunes specs indicate that it's required.

I don't have much experience with iTunes and similar distributors. All the distributors/broadcasters I work with are extremely strict about their specs, there's no getting around them, meet all the specs precisely or no go, period! Can you elaborate how you "got around" the iTunes specs?

G

Back