super8 camera for feature

hello

it's been a while since i came here and only because i need help...yup, that's right...
:P
i'm looking for super8 camera for feature script that i am looking to write.
i am looking for camera with selectable shuttle speeds and one that sports different lenses.
one that is cheap and built like a brick and mostly dependable.
plus with other necessity i need i'm forgetting.

thanks

Last edited:
Good luck finding what you need. I would try to help, but I'm a digital guy. But there are many folks here who are in love with the Super 8 format. So you should get some responses.

Poke

Oops, soory. Thread moved back.

Removable lenses: Beaulieu and Leicina Special.

Good overall cameras: Nizo and Bauer Microcomputer.

Look on ebay for a Beaulieu 2008, 3008 or 4008.. those are the models (specifically) that are rented by Pro8mm.. and there have been numerous features and music videos, etc shot either in part or in whole on them (check the pro8mm website for a list of 'em.

EDIT: Ok, looks like they've changed their site and no longer have that nifty list of films shot on 8mm... but at least if you click on the 'Cameras' link and then classic pro8mm or whatever you can get a closeup look at the beaulieu.

Last edited:
My suggestion is if your production lends itself to a kind of 60's home movie look then 8mm is for you. Otherwise please consider 16mm. A Krasnogorsk-3 can be had from ebay for less than 200. The downsides are spring wind (which can be fixed if you desire for $700 ina couple of months when the new TCS crystal sync motor comes out, but the spring wind only changes around .2% for me so you can likely get away with sound synch assuming you blimp the camera even without crystal synch). also a downside is the 100' load which after loading gives you arond 2:30 of usable film. The stock is about 35 for color neg for a 100' load from Kodak. But in the end if you are seeking any type of distribution you would be better off shooting 16mm. It is more costly but worth it in the end. /my opinion I'm sure 8mm fanatics will burn me at the stake for this post but that is my opinion!

Sorry to interupt but I have never heard this term-
"blimp the camera"- would you please define. Does it have anything to do with baffling the sound of the camera to ensure a clean sound track?

Thanks
Mikey D

WideShot said:
The stock is about 35 for color neg for a 100' load from Kodak.

Kodak is coming out with a new line of colour reversal at the end of the year, btw.

Long time, no see Bboymute :)

_______

The Pro8mm cameras are very fancy to look at, yes (and the new Max-8 with matching custom film-stock seems nifty too)... they don't quite qualify for the "cheap" criteria the OP mentioned, though. (I don't think anything at Pro8mm is)

Why the decision to go S8 for a feature, Bboy? Are you trying to get "that look" or is there some other rationale you have in mind?

Do you need a sound-synced camera, or going silent (or very short takes)?

_______

I'm sure 8mm fanatics will burn me at the stake

Something like this?
smiley_burn.gif

I kid, I kid.

Zensteve said:
The Pro8mm cameras are very fancy to look at, yes (and the new Max-8 with matching custom film-stock seems nifty too)... they don't quite qualify for the "cheap" criteria the OP mentioned, though. (I don't think anything at Pro8mm is)

I wasn't suggesting buying (or renting) anything from Pro8mm.. just that they've rebranded beaulieu's to be "Pro8mm" cameras, and you can get a look at 'em there.. also they used to have a nice long list of projects that used super8, but it seems that has gone the way of the Dodo..

EBay is a good option.

Mikey D said:
Sorry to interupt but I have never heard this term-
"blimp the camera"- would you please define. Does it have anything to do with baffling the sound of the camera to ensure a clean sound track?

Thanks
Mikey D

Thats exactly what it is. Like indietalk said, blimps are usually premade although Im going to make my own for the K3 since I dont think there are any others out there. I plan on using a mover's blanket. Before I bought the camera people said "you cant use it for sound synch its way too noisy! Built like a Russian Tank and sounds like one!"... I wrapped my winter Starter Jacket around it and I can hardly hear it. With a boom there should be no problem getting a clean sound track.

Ive done a ton of looking into this... but I just think that its not worth shooting a feature on DV or s8 unless the subject absolutely calls for it. In the end for distribution and all around viability of that feature if its not on 16 or HD is too low to consider, for me at least.

Steve you are right reversal is much cheaper. I just bought 4 rolls of BW reversal at Kodak for 20 dollars apiece. But of course, shooting a feature on reversal... I dunno about that unless youre going to use the TK your online.

thank you everyone, I'm not sure if I would be shooting it on super8, so I wanted to test out some shots. 16mm is something else I have in mind.

Zensteve said:
Long time, no see Bboymute :)

hm? I find it amazing that you remember me considering that I have sucha low post count and haven't visited for long time...unless of course you are just saying it as a greeting... :)

Last edited:
You might consider double super 8(DS8).These are 16mm cameras that have been modified for DS8.The Bolex H-8 conversion is basically a 16mm Rex that has been converted.They all have interchangeable lenses and the higher end models have your variable shutter.There 's also the Pathe Duolight (interchangeable lenses,not sure about a variable shutter)and the Canon Scoopic DS8 (variable shutter but with a non interechangeable zoom lens).

Moving to single 8 there is the Fujica ZC 1000.Magnificient camera,interchangeable lenses,vari shutter and more.Another advantage to single 8 and DS8.The cameras have pressure plates so your picture steadiness isn't dependent on that crappy plastic pressure plate in super 8 cartridges.Also both single 8 and DS8 allow full backwinding for mult pass exposure special effects such as in camera dissolves and supered scenes.A super 8 cart,by its nature can only backwind a little over 200 frames.

Back